Is Paul Kent the self appointed God and Judge of the NRL?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Watching NRL360 and his grilling of Ivan Cleary over tunnel-gate (!), am I watching a new ugly era in TV coverage? Where the media via bullies like Kent set themselves up as a full on judicial court where managers, players anyone can be taken apart and pulled to bits on TV? It smells bad, real bad. Kent has grown into an arrogant overblown self opinionated tool of the very highest order. And I believe he played one 1st grade game back in the day. Do we need this? Is this good for RL?

I rate Kent. He cares about the audience and tries to give us insight. It is his job.

Pretty much since the first newspaper to ever exist .... it is why Freedom of the press is enshrined in every true Democracy's Laws ... to qoute somebody ... " the role of Journalism is to serve the governed ... not the governors" ...

I agree with the freedom of the press, but just as governments and other top dogs should be made answerable, so should the press. Unfortunately, and its always been a problem in the past though not as bad as now, the press seek to push their agendas and create the news instead of just reporting it. News today has become increasingly commentary, and with commentary comes bias and selectiveness. Opinions are fine as long as it is clearly stated that it is said from their point of view. However journos today state information in the manner that suits their agendas in a way that implies its factual. And the more someone who is a voice being listened to says something over and again, it becomes in the mind of the public the truth.

I agree with the freedom of the press, but just as governments and other top dogs should be made answerable, so should the press. Unfortunately, and its always been a problem in the past though not as bad as now, the press seek to push their agendas and create the news instead of just reporting it. News today has become increasingly commentary, and with commentary comes bias and selectiveness. Opinions are fine as long as it is clearly stated that it is said from their point of view. However journos today state information in the manner that suits their agendas in a way that implies its factual. And the more someone who is a voice being listened to says something over and again, it becomes in the mind of the public the truth.
Spot on. Nailed. Fully. The media has become a behemoth of immense power and reality is we are all heavily influenced often unconsciously by the agendas that are being employed, often very subtly, other times plainly obvious. One example of this is: FEAR. Notice how fear prevails today? Terrorists, ISIS, etc etc - once a population is fearful, they can be controlled and then manipulated.

Pretty much since the first newspaper to ever exist .... it is why Freedom of the press is enshrined in every true Democracy's Laws ... to qoute somebody ... " the role of Journalism is to serve the governed ... not the governors" ...
Yea that but Tim Gilbert feeling obliged to dob Ivan Cleary is serving Tim Gilbert only !

Spot on. Nailed. Fully. The media has become a behemoth of immense power and reality is we are all heavily influenced often unconsciously by the agendas that are being employed, often very subtly, other times plainly obvious. One example of this is: FEAR. Notice how fear prevails today? Terrorists, ISIS, etc etc - once a population is fearful, they can be controlled and then manipulated.

You might be interested in this: https://ourworldindata.org/does-the-news-reflect-what-we-die-from or for a quick view see this graph: https://ourworldindata.org/uploads/2019/05/Over-and-underrepresentation-of-deaths-in-media.png

He is very self righteous I will admit, but in the game today he is the only Journo in the modern era that isn't on the NRL payroll that actually holds Greenturd and Beattie to account.

He is very self righteous I will admit, but in the game today he is the only Journo in the modern era that isn't on the NRL payroll that actually holds Greenturd and Beattie to account.
Yeah good point Conanu. I think his intense bullying approach is what does my head in. Sure take the clowns on, but let's have some class and dignity. A little respect for others thrown in wouldn't hurt either. (there was very little in his take down of Cleary).

Print media men (almost zero woman in this industry ) like Kent and Rothfield are dinosaurs from an industry has just about run its race.

They have to over dramatise every single issue they write about to get any space in the paper.

Newspapers are dead and people like this pair are being replaced the world over younger writers who never leave the office who write about players tweets and social outings.

Last edited:
Print media men (almost zero woman in this industry ) like Kent and Rothfield are dinosaurs from an industry has just about run its race.

They have to over dramatise every single issue they write about to get any space in the paper.

Newspapers are dead and people like this pair are being replaced the world over younger writers who never leave the office who write about players tweets and social outings.
....which is 100% true, pretty sad and immensely superficial all at once.

Kentosaurus and Tyrannosaurus Roth of the Jurassafox have somehow avoided extinction, though the Jurassafox Era overseas appears to be in deep fossilisation. Lets hope.

As a former "print dinosaur" I can sympathise with arriving at work and being told that we have 12 blank spaces that need filling by day's end. You need to 'generate' news. It's not easy to do every day of the week. However, without trained journalists any hope of reading a factual report is gone. All radio, TV and on-line 'news' outlets rely on journalists generating copy.
Newspapers have been in decline for 50 years -- you may remember my old paper, The Sun. In the 1970s Sydney had three morning papers, two afternoon papers and three Sunday papers -- but we should never replace professionally trained journos with Tweets, bloggers, AI nor, may I say, posters on Forums.

As a former "print dinosaur" I can sympathise with arriving at work and being told that we have 12 blank spaces that need filling by day's end. You need to 'generate' news. It's not easy to do every day of the week. However, without trained journalists any hope of reading a factual report is gone. All radio, TV and on-line 'news' outlets rely on journalists generating copy.
Newspapers have been in decline for 50 years -- you may remember my old paper, The Sun. In the 1970s Sydney had three morning papers, two afternoon papers and three Sunday papers -- but we should never replace professionally trained journos with Tweets, bloggers, AI nor, may I say, posters on Forums.

No wonder I couldn't remember the quote - almost 4 years old.

And yeah even out here in the sticks we used to get an afternoon Sun and Mirror, of course it was the morning edition Sydney readers got, that had come on the train. We don't a SMH and a Telegraph in the mornings, plus the Melbourne equivalents.

Newsagency almost gone out here now. Inaginie my surprise when I went into Humphrys Newsagency on The Corso last year. Sad to see.

Did you know Les Muir?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10