Is Mestrov really our Messiah?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • No offfield dramas
  • New sponsors
  • Beating top 4 / 8 teams now
  • Added depth
  • Staff and players seem content / happy
  • Don't hear about financial concerns
  • Consistent sellouts at Brooky Oval

I'd say we are better placed on and off the field, than we have been in so long.
Great perspective from someone from memory who had some doubts. Interestingly if Mestrov is a great appointment I wonder how many here will be praising Penn who employed him?

• No offfield dramas
  • New sponsors
  • Beating top 4 / 8 teams now
  • Added depth
  • Staff and players seem content / happy
  • Don't hear about financial concerns
  • Consistent sellouts at Brooky Oval

I'd say we are better placed on and off the field, than we have been in so long.
All these positives have kept Penn out of the media which is great.
It feels to me we are at the start of being the Manly of old successful on and off the paddock, 1 or 2 key players and we can see another run of successful years ahead.

He seems to be doing a decent job.
Seems to have been in charge for a long time now, it seemed we had a new CEO almost yearly over the last 20 years and must he be getting close to our longest serving during the NRL era.

He isn't perfect but I'm happy with the way he is taking the club, from looking from the outside he doesn't care what your name is or how long you have been associated with Manly, if your don't put the club first or bad mouth the place he is happy to move you on.
I think having Peter Peters not white anting him regularly is helping.

He seems to be doing a decent job.
Seems to have been in charge for a long time now, it seemed we had a new CEO almost yearly over the last 20 years and must he be getting close to our longest serving during the NRL era.

He isn't perfect but I'm happy with the way he is taking the club, from looking from the outside he doesn't care what your name is or how long you have been associated with Manly, if your don't put the club first or bad mouth the place he is happy to move you on.
I think having Peter Peters not white anting him regularly is helping.
To think we have had such a turnover in CEOs in the last 10-15 years but historically we had the godfather Arko in charge for so long there is examples for both.

Settling the ownership and board down seems to be working wonders and not just coincidence that the media and player management are less influential.

Nice work Mr Mestrov.

I guess Schuster and his Management will think Mestrov is a messiah. how does the song go? “Money for nothing and chicks for free”- I don’t want to gleam lightly over possible mental illness but being paid probably 30% of your contract over 3 years, while you can play for another club is unheard of for someone who is supposedly in breach of their contract…Absolute BS imo…. Btw, I am basing the 30% off him earning $600k not the embellished media reported $800k….

Cbs No GIF by HULU

I guess Schuster and his Management will think Mestrov is a messiah. how does the song go? “Money for nothing and chicks for free”- I don’t want to gleam lightly over possible mental illness but being paid probably 30% of your contract over 3 years, while you can play for another club is unheard of for someone who is supposedly in breach of their contract…Absolute BS imo…. Btw, I am basing the 30% off him earning $600k not the embellished media reported $800k….
You know , I employed a girl once ( many of them over the years ) and she worked for me for 9.5 years , then fell pregnant , and her partner got a job in mining and so she resigned.

I wasn’t required to pay her the 10 year long service payment , but did as it was just the right thing to do.

I think that’s what’s happening here.

Last edited:
You know , I employed a girl once ( many of them over the years ) and she worked for me for 9.5 years , then fell pregnant , and her partner got a job in mining and so she resigned.

I wasn’t required to pay her the 10 year long service payment , but did as it was just the right thing to do.

I think that’s what’s happening here.
Fair point. But schuster as an employee would be like someone who you paid over the years a hell of a lot of money based on potential but no where near delivered upon his promise. In all fairness his received a small fortune for 50 FG appearances in which bar a handful of games he truly delivered. I would be surprised if you had an employee whom you paid massive overs and rarely
delivered you would be so kind? Also I am not sure your business was constrained by a salary cap? No doubt there would have been of course many challenges…

Fair point. But schuster as an employee would be like someone who you paid over the years a hell of a lot of money based on potential but no where near delivered upon his promise. In all fairness his received a small fortune for 50 FG appearances in which bar a handful of games he truly delivered. I would be surprised if you had an employee whom you paid massive overs and rarely
delivered you would be so kind? Also I am not sure your business was constrained by a salary cap? No doubt there would have been of course many challenges…
I get all those factors , but let’s imagine we definitely had contract clauses we heard about.

The club says “ screw you you’re terminated instantly “

The ****storm that would follow would be absolutely MASSIVE, the media would come down on us like a tonne of bricks.

And Schusters manager would then urge a legal fight ( which we might win or might lose but the winners would be the legal team , could easily cost $200-$300k to fight this, and then more bad press.

OR

We could be fair , and offer $200k a year for the next three years ( and then pay $400k of it this year that was already in the budget), leaving just a pittance of $66k a year after that.

Added to that , he had mates in the group , this will be seen as “ taking care of the kid “.

Yeah the extra $600k would be great in our salary cap BUT overall still the right thing to do.

I get all those factors , but let’s imagine we definitely had contract clauses we heard about.

The ****storm that would follow would be absolutely MASSIVE, the media would come down on us like a tonne of bricks.

And Schusters manager would then urge a legal fight ( which we might win or might lose but the winners would be the legal team , could easily cost $200-$300k to fight this, and then more bad press.

OR

We could be fair , and offer $200k a year for the next three years ( and then pay $400k of it this year that was already in the budget), leaving just a pittance of $66k a year after that.

Added to that , he had mates in the group , this will be seen as “ taking care of the kid “.

Yeah the extra $600k would be great in our salary cap BUT overall still the right thing to do.
I understand to what you are saying feathered friend
But you must also understand we are all accountable for our own actions

Our club was responsible for creating this Schuster Saga by ignoring the players past issues and struggles and jumping the gun and signing the young player to a long term elite player contract .

If this matter was handled more wisely from the beginning we would not be in this media madness and club financial fiasco

I think he's doing a fantastic job. The way he and seibs have gotten rid of the deadwood and brought in some cheap signings with very little cap space due to the big 3 on big money. Brought in brooks Palau lodge brown. Really really good stuff. Blending experience and mongrel into a side that didn't have that. Off field sponsors and successful vegas trip. It's all been positive. Slight negative to Schuster signing. Was a gamble that didn't pay off.. but we don't know the ins and outs.. we all don't know the struggles Josh has faced. Maybe got worse after he signed with the case of his beat mate passing has unravelled him a bit. Maybe fearing playing the game who knows. We have swiftly moved him on whilst being fair and not damaging the kid also. I've been really impressed.

OR

This will keep the team happy too

Mestrov and Seibs have turned the club around.. like them or not ( and I have like both from day 1)

Mestrov is a very shrewd operator and looks to have the clubs interest firmly focused as his mandate.

Mestrov makes the hard calls and it appears Seibs is also not scared to do so too.

To me it seems like these 2 blokes have got an agenda to make Manly a long term force again and leave it in a better place when they move on.

You can't fault this.. and it's the only way for the club to go forward. Unity.. and that includes us fans.

They will make errors they are human but like all of us we move on... it just that I feel with Mestrov at the helm our bumpy roads will be a little less harsh on our ar#$
I can tell you that Manly embarrassed the other teams that went to Vegas. Manly through Mestrov organised a fan day for all the Supporters that were there. Nobody else bothered.
Also I saw him at Honolulu airport on the way home having a little R & R as was I. With his arms full of bags etc and after noticing my Manly jacket he put them all down and came across to thank me for supporting the team in Vegas. No big deal....but...he didn't have to.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8