is Des losing it?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bazeagle

Bencher
as I posted on another thread and I reckon its worth repeating:
I know from a senior member of the club who I sat next to on a plane that Des is a massive control freak and he RUNS the club
what Des wants Des gets from player signings to extra towels, water bottles
etc etc
when Des asks - people jump to it I was told
but is this power, bestowed upon him due to winning the comp in 08, wearing thin?
why does Des clearly miss log players like T Rex?
Bailey - who to be fair has had a few more decent moments in some recent games
why did we fade out in so many matches in the second half this season?
why is he so stubborn with team selections?
was his control freak paranoia actually behind shutting down the forum?
is Des losing the plot?

BAZ link said:
as I posted on another thread and I reckon its worth repeating:
I know from a senior member of the club who I sat next to on a plane that Des is a massive control freak and he RUNS the club
what Des wants Des gets from player signings to extra towels, water bottles
etc etc
when Des asks - people jump to it I was told
but is this power, bestowed upon him due to winning the comp in 08, wearing thin?
why does Des clearly miss log players like T Rex?
Bailey - who to be fair has had a few more decent moments in some recent games
why did we fade out in so many matches in the second half this season?
why is he so stubborn with team selections?
was his control freak paranoia actually behind shutting down the forum?
is Des losing the plot?
The coach should get his way - all the time.

When things go wrong the blame is squarely on the coaches shoulders.

Can't blame the man for wanting what he thinks is best for the club but I don't agree with a lot he does.

I made the point in another thread that he has been living on our 2008 premiership for too long. When does he have to start becoming accountable if what you have said is true? We seem to be in no mans land at the moment. We either stick with these older underperformers (Kite, Perry, G.Stewart et al) or we re-build fully. Des needs to decide. I don't think that our forwards are playing with any enthusiasm at the moment.

Moops link said:
I made the point in another thread that he has been living on our 2008 premiership for too long. When does he have to start becoming accountable if what you have said is true? We seem to be in no mans land at the moment. We either stick with these older underperformers (Kite, Perry, G.Stewart et al) or we re-build fully. Des needs to decide. I don't think that our forwards are playing with any enthusiasm at the moment.

Bloody hell, glad you're not the coach.

For the record i'd rather have no forum & Des than no Des & a forum.

Guess you guys might want Blunt back? Or maybe we can get Sheens (He might put Farrar to 5/8th? :O)

come back in a few weeks BAz if we lose a few more and people will be on your bandwagon. You should read what Tigers fans think of Sheens (they won in 2003) Remember, a few on here were pushing Tony Williams for origin and rep footy  ;D

Also remember that a few on here were saying that Matai and Glenn Stewart would never be NRL quality players as well Darren, and that Aaron Groom was going to be Cliff Lyons, Andrew Johns and Wally Lewis all rolled into 1

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Jesus, I come on here at times and expect to see us running 15th after reading most of the comments

we just got bumped to 6th,and could be 7th,depending on how the bunnies go.If bondi jct feather dusters win 2 moro,I think we could end up 8th.I guess Des has an easy game against the bye..although I'll be backing the bye to run over us in the last 15 to 20 mins!!!

The premiership table on the Optus footy website has Melbourne on 4 points meaning even the bye cant get points off a disqualified team so we should be right against the bye next week.

Funny you say that Baz, but I often wondered the same myself.
2006-2008, no one would keep Boxhead in the team but Des. Eventually, he became a good 'off the bench' player with decent handling abilties but for the years prior he was bloody woeful.

Now we have Chris Bailey we bought from Newcastle to fill our absent 5/8 position and he has been nothing but very ordinary & probably rated poor by fans & some commentators (Joey Johns still thinks he's a wonderful player with psychic powers).

So it looks like we're stuck with Des's choices, good or bad, until they leave or retire.

so the question is this
does Des deserve the power he has?
by winning one premiership?
I say he deserves a very big voice ansd must be a key decision maker
but any "dictatorship" and I suggest we have that here - is bound to fail
look at our fallen Prime Minister Rudd
he was accused of exactly the same issue and his peers decided he was losing it and fired him
Des needs to lighten the f*#/k up and let go a bit
his grip on all and sundry at Manly is unhealthy and its not working either
for all the reasons outlined in this thread
we are having a crap season, plain and simple

Des' record in all area's speaks for itself. If his "dictatorship" as you like to call it is the reason that Manly went from a rabble running 14th every season, to a side making the finals every year, then he can keep running it until such a time as it isn't work

The "crap season" calls from people on here, what a load of garbage. We have won more games than we have lost at this point, are running higher than most of the sides in this comp, and at the close of this weekend will be 2 pts off a top 4 spot and a home final, while having a halves pairing brand new to international football, along with a stand in fullback, and a centre and winger who are still eligible for U20s playing some NRL games

If we are having a "crap" season, then so is every side outside of St George and Penrith

KE
wake up bud
we are losing games we should win easily and no-one from Des down offers any intelligent explanation
we have faded out and vanished so many times in the second half this year = unforgivable in professional sport in any code
Des sticks repeatedly with poorly performing players = T Rex, up and down and I wince every time he gets the ball
Choc - REALLY why is his form so crap? Des answer please?
Bailey? average at best
and Des holds court.
I rest my case. harsh it may be  =  but our season is crap, we are unconvincing tactically, sure we have injuries but so do all sides
I am suggesting that Des may need a reality check - from his boss
actually who does Des report to? 

Matabele link said:
It could be worse.  We could be Parramatta.

They don't have any of the reasons we have either Mata, they have hardly had an injury all season, and were pre comp favourites

BAZ link said:
KE
wake up bud
we are losing games we should win easily and no-one from Des down offers any intelligent explanation
we have faded out and vanished so many times in the second half this year = unforgivable in professional sport in any code
Des sticks repeatedly with poorly performing players = T Rex, up and down and I wince every time he gets the ball
Choc - REALLY why is his form so crap? Des answer please?
Bailey? average at best
and Des holds court.
I rest my case. harsh it may be  =  but our season is crap, we are unconvincing tactically, sure we have injuries but so do all sides
I am suggesting that Des may need a reality check - from his boss
actually who does Des report to? 

I am wide awake, have just opened league week and looked at a ladder that entering this weekend had us above most of the other sides in the comp, so I guess only the 4 teams that are above us aren't having a "crap" season

Why should we be winning games "easily" as you say, if we are such a crap side

Tony Williams, a) We don't have any better options, you do remember Brett Stewart and David Williams are gone for the season don't you ? If you think there is a better option, chuck it up here. b) he has been nowhere near as bad as the forum experts like to profess he has been. If you want an example of why he got picked this week, in the space of 5 mins against Souths he scored a try no other winger in our squad could and then saved one with a great play on Sutton at the other end

Bailey is obviously picked to fill a utility role, isn't performing that great, but has plugged a lot of holes this season (albeit with a leak still coming in the sides of that hole)

Up and down efforts, that is what you get with young players in your side. A few weeks back we fielded a backline of Farrar, Robertson, Whare, Williams, Hopoate, Foran and Hodkinson, probably the least experienced since the formative years of the club. Expecting some of these blokes to come in and dominate week in week out is fanciful

A reality check is needed in some quarters, but I don't think Des is the one that needs it tbh. Pre season it was looking like a year we would be 6-10, somehow Des got the side up to looking like a genuine contender, and now when injuries have hit we have a side running where it looked like it should have pre season

mmmm
KE
I don't quite buy your argument
second half fade outs aren't caused by injuries
I would suggest that they are caused by a lack of physical or mental fitness
I did say we have had injuries but fair crack of the whip - these guys are full time pro footballers not part time bus drivers/players

I am happy where we are on the ladder at the moment.

Our next 5 weeks need and should yield 10 points from
Bye
Raiders
Sharks
Tigers
Knights

That will see us 28 points with 5 games to play against
STorm
Dragons
Warriors
Roosters
Dogs

Now lets remember 30 points makes the 8, and 34 will be a top 4 finish.

Good luck and few injuries will see us into the 4 with a home semi.

Its of no use playing your best footy in June or July, Its August, September and 1 week in October that counts.

Full time footballers or not, you are not as good on the 1st day of your job as you are on your 100th, experience is key. The difference between where these blokes have come from to NRL level is huge, as Hoppa told me a couple of weeks back

The fade outs have been a concern, a lot of them have also coincided with being on the end of a penalty caning and poor discipline with the ball, which is starting to come good

There is 1 time you want to peak in this competition, and that is building late August to peak through September, something we did beautifully in 2008 after a poor period in the 3rd quarter of the season, where even Souths toweled us up at 1 point

We weren't great last night, but a lot of people are failing to see also how red hot Penrith were last night, that was as good as I have seen any team play this season, including the Dragons.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6