Is David Smith going ok?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

southsideeagle

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
I seem to develop a dislike for many NRL officials, Gallop, GreenT etc. But I get the impression Smith is going ok. If the worst thing he has done is mix Ben Barba up with Benji the code is pretty lucky. He has been a good choice. Interested to know what others think.

What has he done?
I think he's a dud. He doesn't know or love the game; doesn't care for the fans; has allowed rules to be made up on knee jerk reactions, and the standard of refereeing etc is as low as it's ever been.
One thing that is not his fault is his accent. But we also have some Scottish bloke in a high role in the NRL. Between them you can't understand what they are saying... kind of like a Souffs supporter without their false teef!

David who?
That scottish bloke is Jim Doyle, former boss of the NZRL, but he was also the founder of Navman.

I think he has done ok. I agree with The Who in regard to knee jerk reactions on playing matters, but he is obviously getting poor advice from his team who should know better.

He seems to be bringing a professional business attitude to the game, which will bodde well for the future.

Red Sea Eagle said:
I think he has done ok. I agree with The Who in regard to knee jerk reactions on playing matters, but he is obviously getting poor advice from his team who should know better.

He seems to be bringing a professional business attitude to the game, which will bodde well for the future.

I keep reading about this "professional attitude", but can't see it. I also dispute that rugby league is a business, like banking. It is much more important than that! It is not just about profits, Selling-you-soul to TV and inflated salaries.

The Who said:
Red Sea Eagle said:

I keep reading about this "professional attitude", but can't see it. I also dispute that rugby league is a business, like banking. It is much more important than that! It is not just about profits, Selling-you-soul to TV and inflated salaries.

The business part of the game is to ensure that the game remains viable, the proper governances implemented and adhered too. The NRL have a Billion $ income and need to use it wisely, invest it and nurture the business.

Look at the Sharks and the recent comment that they are a team run like it was 30 years ago. Where has that left them!

A CEO does'nt need to know everything about a business he needs a team to support him/her with that kind of information.

Any organisation that turns over $250,000,000 + a year is big business.

I agree that its a shame that sport is now regarded as business, but at the end of the day it is, we compete against AFL, Union and Soccer for sponsorship and supporters.

I thought he would be good, but Im losing Faith. leadership has been missing and the game bows continually to media and public perception. They have to be strong and stop tolerating the refs and the judiciaries lack of consistency.

While the game is going to **** he has been the Invisible man, and has yet to alleviate fears that it will only get worse

The clubs and certain players also got too much money too quickly without proper consideration although that may have been grant and the board.

And he hired greenturd. hellava mistake that klanger

He seems like a decent enough bloke but he has not covered himself in glory so far:

1. Proliferation of diving
2. Crowds dropping
3. Refs influencing the result of more games than ever
4. Scheduling blunders
5. Barba issues swept under the carpet
6. Tom Waterhouse disaster
7. Banning of shoulder charge
8. He promoted Greenberg.

I had high hopes, but to be honest I don't think the administration of the game has been this out of touch with the fans since Super League.

Just because he's not on TV every night doesn't make him a bad CEO.

Far to early to make a judgement just yet.

Give him 12 months in the job and then decide

My only concern is the level of empire building.

The Administration arm of the NRL, and its seemingly unaccountable spending of monies - limos to meetings and first class travel - is unsustainable:cool:

Otherwise, DS comes across as calm and keen to learn the business of sport.

What about the news today of Annesley, quiting politics and becoming the Titans CEO :huh:
http://www.nrl.com/titans-appoint-annesley-as-ceo/tabid/10874/newsid/74307/default.aspx

MadMarcus said:
He seems like a decent enough bloke but he has not covered himself in glory so far:

2. Crowds dropping
4. Scheduling blunders

I had high hopes, but to be honest I don't think the administration of the game has been this out of touch with the fans since Super League.

He is as bad as or worse than galluping goose.

HappilyManly said:
What about the news today of Annesley, quiting politics and becoming the Titans CEO :huh:
http://www.nrl.com/titans-appoint-annesley-as-ceo/tabid/10874/newsid/74307/default.aspx

Happy with that. They need someone who can take the big stick to Searles massive ego.

MadMarcus said:

2. Crowds dropping
4. Scheduling blunders

1. Coaches not CEO
2. I don't have stats to argue
3. Are they? Question not challenge (statistically based evidence not maroon emotion)
4. He took his post in February this year (the draw was released in majority November 2012
5. Club based issue
6. Wider than NRL (read news on Waterhouse defamation case today)
7. Look into what is happening in the NFL - sound judgement
8. Agree

Who is he - oh wait on he was the dude in the back at the ASADA drugs in sports conference.

Yeah he usless but if he goes Greenturd will get the job. So he is doing fine.

The Who said:
What has he done?
I think he's a dud. He doesn't know or love the game; doesn't care for the fans; has allowed rules to be made up on knee jerk reactions, and the standard of refereeing etc is as low as it's ever been.
One thing that is not his fault is his accent. But we also have some Scottish bloke in a high role in the NRL. Between them you can't understand what they are saying... kind of like a Souffs supporter without their false teef!

Maybe it was time for the ARLC to employ from outside the group-think of RL administrators or support bodies.

Unlike the 15 years, we have a bloke with no allegiance to the any owners, and effectively enjoy a clean slate to work with. That could be daunting to somebody from club land and they may have reverted to 'what we've always done' just to get a sense of balance.

Still too early for me to make a definitive call on his efforts so far, but I like most aspects of what he's done to date and hope to see his influence continue in an even more positive manner for the code.

MadMarcus said:

2. Crowds dropping
4. Scheduling blunders

Remember, David is the boss of the ARLC, not the day-to-day manager for the NRL. Many of those elements above are not specifically his area to influence, and some like scheduling were in place prior to he tenure.

It's how he responds to them that we can measure and it's going to take a couple of years to see is real worth, good or bad.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8