Is Axing Saab the answer ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Snake

Snake's Alive!
In July last year I penned this report on Saab ... which met with the usual nonsense ..
A contrary opinion is not nonsense. Can’t you just discuss idea without the bitterness?

Personally, I think you’ve got a point with Saab. Yes, his speed is asset and he is good under the high ball. However, in tight games against the big teams, strong yardage carries are going to be more valuable than speed. One look at what Addo-Carr is doing at Canterbury right now says that speed is useless if it can’t be untapped. We won’t score a plethora of length of the field tries against the likes of Melbourne and Penrith, but you can guarantee they’ll have us pinned on our line. That’s where Tui can be of value.

And I haven’t even mentioned Saab’s inability to get down to rolling balls and he has a turning circle like a Mack truck.

40 nil

It's only a game ...
We won’t score a plethora of length of the field tries against the likes of Melbourne and Penrith, but you can guarantee they’ll have us pinned on our line. That’s where Tui can be of value.
In that case, do you think players should be rotated according to which team we're playing or the prevailing weather conditions? This makes sense to me and would parallel cricket where fast bowlers or spinners are selected according to the nature of the wicket. In this way, players such as Koula, Weekes, Tuipulotu, Burbo, Sipley, De Luis etc. would accrue NRL experience more quickly plus maintain match fitness.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
A contrary opinion is not nonsense. Can’t you just discuss idea without the bitterness?

Personally, I think you’ve got a point with Saab. Yes, his speed is asset and he is good under the high ball. However, in tight games against the big teams, strong yardage carries are going to be more valuable than speed. One look at what Addo-Carr is doing at Canterbury right now says that speed is useless if it can’t be untapped. We won’t score a plethora of length of the field tries against the likes of Melbourne and Penrith, but you can guarantee they’ll have us pinned on our line. That’s where Tui can be of value.

And I haven’t even mentioned Saab’s inability to get down to rolling balls and he has a turning circle like a Mack truck.

I think you will find if you go to the thread that abusive posts are sent to 3 people in particular did in fact carry on with a lot of nonsense ...

But, to answer your point ...

the only thing that will save our species from extinction is the right to call opinions .. anybody's opinions ... nonsense

HoldenV8

Journey Man

I actually think his defence this year has been relatively solid. Nothing spectacular of course. He's not suddenly turned into the Jake Trbojevic of the Usain Bolt set. But he has attempted 32 tackles so far in 2022, and made 26 of them. For a winger who can't tackle, a tackle efficiency of 81.2% (according to the NRL website) isn't too bad (Sam Walker only tackles at 78% and I don't see Saab being used as a speed bump like the Chooks 5/8 often is). OK, sure, hardly any, if any, of Saab's tackling was a one on one tackle. But he's not out there because he's a tackling machine.

double hoops

First Grader
I see a weapon, we need firing to do anything in finals.

Being 2 metres tall has its advantages. And he just doesn't know how to use it.

He like that big kid whose always played against small kids so never learnt to use his weight. Dave Taylor for example. But here height not weight

He just doesn't jump. My feet get further from the ground then he does.

Attacking bombs to his wing. He doesn't use his body to get the position at the drop. And he hardly jumps At his height he can leave the ground before anyone else. It should be a no contest.

Same with taking an over head hands catch 'mark' at his height near impossible to stop the grab.

So he's currently not using his height advantage, instead he's allowing blokes 20 cm shorter than him to contest the ball, when Jason Saab on his own shoulders and hands can simply take any contest out of the equation.

Last edited:

Pete W

Bencher

Great point re playing the best teams. Yardage significantly more valuable than speed over 100m (and Tui is not exactly Parker when it comes to speed, he's no slouch) Acceleration off the mark is truly where the advantage lies, from marker etc and Tui would be a superior option for us at this stage

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
We won’t score a plethora of length of the field tries against the likes of Melbourne and Penrith, but you can guarantee they’ll have us pinned on our line. That’s where Tui can be of value.
He shocked both Panthers and Storm last year with long range tries when the rest of the team could barely score otherwise. That scoring potential is not something we can afford to pass on.

Especially when the reason for our losses to the big guns has been fairly well identified as giving up possession cheaply then our forwards not being strong enough to regain the ascendancy. Rather than multiple misses by a tall winger.

Brookie Bob

"I come back to you now at the turn of the tide"
Lots of replies to a simple question (the title of this thread).

Answer = NO.

He's young, and will put on more muscle.

It's worth pointing out that Saab is only 5 cms taller than Tom (199 cms vs 194 cms), and only 1 kg less in weight (101 kgs vs 102 kgs).

Saab has the essential (genetic) elements of success; training and experience will look after the rest. I'd say that his attitude is great from what I've seen. More success will come. Look at how Garrick has improved.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I actually think his defence this year has been relatively solid. Nothing spectacular of course. He's not suddenly turned into the Jake Trbojevic of the Usain Bolt set. But he has attempted 32 tackles so far in 2022, and made 26 of them. For a winger who can't tackle, a tackle efficiency of 81.2% (according to the NRL website) isn't too bad (Sam Walker only tackles at 78% and I don't see Saab being used as a speed bump like the Chooks 5/8 often is). OK, sure, hardly any, if any, of Saab's tackling was a one on one tackle. But he's not out there because he's a tackling machine.
I’m not worried about his defence...a winger’s defence will rarely ever be the difference between winning and losing.

My concern is his yardage carries and work rate out of yardage are not up to FG standard. Also, he can be a Gumby.

But...he has plenty of upside so if he stays in the side, it’s not the end of the world.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
He shocked both Panthers and Storm last year with long range tries when the rest of the team could barely score otherwise. That scoring potential is not something we can afford to pass on.

Especially when the reason for our losses to the big guns has been fairly well identified as giving up possession cheaply then our forwards not being strong enough to regain the ascendancy. Rather than multiple misses by a tall winger.
I’m not the least bit concerned about his defence.

We lost those games against Penrith and Melbourne and who knows, maybe if we had matched them in yardage instead of being bashed in our end all night, we might have been able to win instead of just scoring a long range consolidation try.

But I’m not adamant about any of what I’m saying, I can see that Saab brings plenty in other areas and on any given day, I’d share your opinion...basically I’m torn.

DSM5

First Grader
I think we should persevere with Jason. If DCE’s kick was two metres longer downfield on Thursday night, Jason would have been away. However I agree with the comment that on a heavy track, Tippy Toes might be considered. But can he catch?

Simonmyers11

First Grader
I’m not worried about his defence...a winger’s defence will rarely ever be the difference between winning and losing.

My concern is his yardage carries and work rate out of yardage are not up to FG standard. Also, he can be a Gumby.

But...he has plenty of upside so if he stays in the side, it’s not the end of the world.
I value yardage out of our own end and being able to finish a try more valuable than raw speed.

For this reason I value tippy toes over Saab at the current time until Saab can over come being dominated in every tackle

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Saab will struggle to score while Tom is sidelined. He doesn't break or bend the line in fact loses yardage coming out of our end. I was very impressed with Tuipolutu yardage. Des can't hold out Tui and Koula much longer. I see great potential in those 2.

Nike

Reserve Grader
So unless Saab scores another 26 the Silvertails brains trust will howl for him to be replaced by Tui or Koula, gonna tell us we need some SPEEEEED KILLS? Laughable stuff, I'll have whatever you guys are smoking.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
So unless Saab scores another 26 the Silvertails brains trust will howl for him to be replaced by Tui or Koula, gonna tell us we need some SPEEEEED KILLS? Laughable stuff, I'll have whatever you guys are smoking.
No one is howling, we’re just discussing footy and the merits of individual players; that’s the point of the forum. Your lack of perceptive awareness of this, is what’s laughable.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Des can't hold out Tui and Koula much longer. I see great potential in those 2.
It's the $64 question. Walker only getting a one-year deal will clear the log-jam a little, from 2023.
This year both Tui and Koula will get NRL game time covering for injury and for Turbo during Origin.

I can't see Des dropping Parker, Harper or Saab.

However! If one of those 3 was to miss an extended period through injury, it is quite possible they might struggle to win back their spot in this year's team because the young blokes sure look good enough to seize an opportunity. (Garrick is pretty safe as he is such a good goal-kicker).

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I think it's important to remember Saab is still a youngster and a similar built bloke named Tupou for Roosters took a while to adapt to the physical side of NRL
He went on to play rep footy and I reckon Saab has more upside and definitely more speed
Thing is, there are many valid points and no one will be 109% right in who to choose moving forward as Tippy toes really added zest and helped win momentum with go forward which is a factor we are screaming out for in those "big top 4 games" and no one can argue we have lacked go forward in many physical games
Also have Koula looking for a rightful shot at a top 17 spot and personally love the fact we have competition rather than just these journey men we had before this new crop stood up and now give us serious options and are in a fight - to get positions in the 17

I think Saab is on shaky ground if Harper comes back in... which I dont think he should by the way. I think we have found a very very good Centre and winger in Koula and Tippytoes. Tippytoes' carries as I have said before are like Jorge at his best. He is a beast coming out of our own end and gives us so much more in that regard than Saab. Saab has the speed but really offers not a lot at all when coming off our line. Will be interesting to see if Harper comes straight back in.... I say nope - Koula showed he is a very very good defender and last night some last ditch defence stopped him from punching some huge holes in the Titans. If Garrick is fit which hopefully he is I would leave the back three as they are for the Sharks. Maybe the thought of a rampaging Talakai scares Des into keeping Harper and his boot lace tackles which might negate the rampage. Will be an interesting Tuesday arvy with selections.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14
12 6 6 77 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 6 -39 14