International Anthems at Games

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Narcissus

Reserve Grader
Hey guys,

Just wondering what the overall take is on the acceptable response to national anthems of international teams is when they are playing in your home country?

Here's a little background on the question: last month, a Canadian hockey team was playing in the US (as they are wont to do). At any of these 'international' games, both the US and Canadian anthems are sung.

For some reason, this time, the Canadian anthem was loudly booed. Is this considered 'acceptable'? What about the fact that a dozen of the San Jose team were Canadian themselves: does this change anything?

Anyway, it's been interesting to watch the evolution of the reaction from Canadian fans. Since that night, every game held in Canada has had the US anthem cheered, almost as much as the Canadian anthem is.

A few games later, the anthem is still cheered, but now the guy that sings the anthems just holds out the microphone while the entire crowd sings the Canadian anthem themselves: to drown out any of the booing US fans.

Just last night I saw the next change in the reaction: as of last night, I would say about 3/4 of the crowd sang the US anthem with the singer, before everyone cheered it then sang the Canadian anthem.

I don't quite know where they can go from there, but it's quite funny to see how they do that, while the American fans have decided that booing the Canadian anthem is fun and so they just continue to do that...

So yeah, my question: is it OK to boo another country's anthem? What about if a large portion of your team is from that country themselves?

my answer is no. It is disrespectful and low. Up there with burning a flag for mine

Poor form. Can you imagine the international outcry if some country at the World Cup booed during the US Nat Anthem.

I could understand it at the wrestling and I suppose Hockey is simply a game of wrestling on skates where they occasionaly hit the puck out of there!!!

I have no problem with showing disrespect to a nation that doesn't deserve respect.

But booing is quite small minded and boring. surely there is a better way to challenge the reprehensible.

On a related point, does anyone agree with me that Australia has the world's most banal national anthem?

yeah - pretty close to it (as in the Australian anthem) not too sure what the alternatives could be though....definately not Waltzing Matilda...maybe that Seekers song "We are Australian" the lyrics are quite good!

I think Advance Australia Fair is as bad as you can get. We need a decent one and a decent flag too.

I am not trying to stick it up the poms but what we have is a anachronism. Mind you we have a Fed Govt like that too!

no way should you boo another countries anthem.

as for ours its fine, just needs to be sung to the tune of working class man

yeah - pretty close to it (as in the Australian anthem) not too sure what the alternatives could be though....definately not Waltzing Matilda...maybe that Seekers song \"We are Australian\" the lyrics are quite good!
Icehouse-Great Southern Land.

Very petty booing another nations anthem.
Nothing wrong with our anthem, sums up our country pretty well. we need more people to learn the actual words. A lot better than that song about the suicide committing sheep stealer. Our flag is our flag until it's changed. Until that happens- It's still the greatest flag in the world.

The best reaction I have received was when I attended a 2003 RWC game between Scotland and the USA. Proudly sand Flower of Scotland in recognition of my heritage - then the opening bars of star spangled banner struck up so I burst into my own rendition:

"Oh say we can't see
Weapons of mass destruction"

The look of horror from the dumb yanks in our section was priceless...........

Gosh they take themselves seriously.

GIRT GIRT GIRT GIRT

[quote author=PJ]
yeah - pretty close to it (as in the Australian anthem) not too sure what the alternatives could be though....definately not Waltzing Matilda...maybe that Seekers song \"We are Australian\" the lyrics are quite good!
Icehouse-Great Southern Land.

[/quote]

yeah that's not a bad song and the lyrics fit!

for the whole boring crappy Aussie anthem saga read here
http://www.imagesaustralia.com/australiannationalanthem.htm

for the whole boring crappy Aussie anthem saga read here
http://www.imagesaustralia.com/australiannationalanthem.htm
well thats 5 minutes of my life that i wont get back.

I told you it was boring and crappy. fairly warned was ye says I arrrrrghhhh

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4