Interesting Uate story...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
Former Newcastle flyer Akuila Uate rediscovers fire and gets revenge on his critics at Manly
MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
April 3, 2017 4:21pm
Subscriber only

IF fate had its way, Manly recruit Akuila Uate would be playing rugby union in Japan this season.

Unwanted by Newcastle last year and banished to reserve grade, Uate seriously considered leaving league for union.

“There was talk about (Japanese rugby), but for me I had to prove myself and I had to finish well in the NRL,” Uate told The Daily Telegraph.

“So I’m truly grateful that Trent (Barrett) has given me an opportunity to come to Manly — I’m really happy. I had a year to go on my contract at the Knights, but I just thought it was time to go.

“I had been in Newcastle for too long, the young kids were coming through and I just had to be honest with myself. I hadn’t been performing, so it was the right time to move.”

1f3f1aefca04f66bde18b4e11243836f

Uate’s decision to leave his comfort zone in Newcastle for Sydney’s Northern Beaches has been justified in the opening five rounds. The Fijian flyer has turned back to clock to rediscover his finest form.

As Uate knows, though, he wouldn’t be where he is today if he didn’t approach Trent Barrett last season while he was playing reserve grade for the Knights.

“We played Manly at Brookie and I asked Baz what he would think about me coming,” Uate said.

“I was just joking around, but then it became something. Then I think my manager did a great job reaching out to Manly and I’m just happy to be here. To be here now and playing good footy — it’s amazing.”

6909ef13995314f45e9895714e809aba

Uate is enjoying his footy again at Manly. Photo: Gregg Porteous
Uate’s transformation is particularly impressive when you consider his dramatic fall from grace at Newcastle. In the space of just three seasons, he went from an Origin and Test winger to a highly-paid reserve grader.

Uate copped plenty of criticism during this period, which he says motivates him to excel at Manly.

“I want to keep proving everyone wrong — that’s one of my main goals this year,” he said. “That’s the thing that I love about playing footy, is I get inspired by all the negativity around the NRL.

“The true fans that have been supporting you — for them to just leave you on the side, it’s one of the best things for me. It’s like drinking an energy drink and you just go back to training and keep proving everyone wrong.

“I love the fans in Manly and Newcastle. I don’t say they are bad people, but they are very angry. You’ve just got to keep proving them wrong.”

Uate is certainly doing a good job of silencing the doubters. In his five games thus far, he has scored two tries and amassed an impressive 678 running metres. More significantly, Uate has revived his love for the game.

“I’m definitely enjoying it,” he said. “I haven’t won three games in a row for a very long time and to be on a winning team, it’s always exciting.

“I’ve had a tough two years, so I’m truly grateful for the opportunity that Manly has given me.

“I’m very happy with the move and I think I’ve made the right decision for me and my family. I just like to be in a happy environment.”

Uate, though, says he holds no hard feelings against the Knights.

“Newcastle was my hometown,” he said. “I started off there and they have done a lot for me and my family.

“I can’t blame the coaches. I can’t blame anyone else, but the team didn’t perform which was not good enough in the last few years. But I hope Browny is doing the right thing rebuilding the club and I hope Newcastle gets better in the years to come.

“For me, I just thought I wasn’t performing well with injuries and I just didn’t feel happy to be playing.”

Yeah Akuila is the epitome of a confidence player isn't he... When he's happy and not second guessing himself he is still a force to be reckoned with. The confidence he showed taking all those Roosters bombs last week and then showing the vigour, pace and step when he returns the pill is a real joy to watch atm. Keep smiling Akuila ure doing an outstanding job!

A change from the dark and gloomy knights to the mighty Sea eagles and Akuila is flying high once again
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!!
1b2bfd847846ab597a9d5d06714d8fb6.jpg

He has been good for us. Has been a really good singing. Goes to show you that a change of environment is sometimes needed to light that fire again.

He is playing with confidence, and you need that in the team.

Will be interesting to review the Buhrer/Uate rtade at the end of the season...

I was amazed the roosters kept kicking too uate. Considering jorge over the last few years. That one, up there gazaly catch were he flew 50 metres ( i know). Was one of best catches ive ever seen.

Turns 30 in october, could be good for a couple of years yet. Could be handy in bringing some future Fijians tothe club.
Keep doing what your doing Aku!

The Chooks did an aerial assault on Uate using their most lethal weapon in Daniel Tupou, and I'd say Uate won that battle hands down.

And I'm puzzled why they didn't change tack and start bombing Jorge instead.

Believed he would do a Darius Boyd from the start, one of my favourite players atm, great signing.

I was fairly optimistic he just needed a change of scenery and so far that looks the case. Also he seems to have a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove the naysayers wrong. Hope he continues his current form and keeps improving. Appears happy and reinvigorated here at his new home Manly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8