Interesting Article - Support for Killer to play 5/8 Tonight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

FlyingHigh

Reserve Grader
WIZ: Lyon at five-eighth could prove a masterstroke

Gary Freeman Columnist

By Gary Freeman, 28 Mar 2014

Tagged:
jamie lyon, Manly Sea Eagles, NRL, Rugby League, Sydney Roosters

I won’t be surprised in the slightest if Jamie Lyon is the big talking point after tonight’s so-called grand final re-match between the Sea Eagles and Roosters at Allianz Stadium

Unless Geoff Toovey is playing silly buggers, we are told the Manly skipper will switch from centre to five-eighth to cover for the injured Kieran Foran.

If Lyon does play at pivot, he could prove to be the most dominant player on the pitch with his exceptional speed, strength and passing skills.

He has played and starred in the position before and the Wizard thinks it could be a switch that creates huge problems for the Roosters, especially their smaller-framed 6, James Maloney.

Manly’s attack could be more dangerous than ever with Lyon’s increased handling of the ball. This is a huge game for both clubs and we all know what Lyon is capable of when he is asked for something special.

He has been tremendous this year – he is getting better with age – and it’s going to be a highlight watching him combine with Daly Cherry-Evans up against Mitchell Pearce and Maloney.

The Sea Eagles, still burning over their loss to the Roosters in the grand final, want to win this one badly.

They lost to Trent Robinson’s team five times last year and will be up for a highly-physical battle to stop the rot.

Both teams enjoyed a degree of luck winning their last starts but this shapes as a full-blooded contest and it’s a shame that both sides won’t be at full strength.

Aside from Lyon at five-eighth, there are several players I am hanging out to watch in this heavyweight Round 4 match-up.

Glenn Stewart has been in the news this week with his playing future far from settled. It’s a fact of life but nevertheless disturbing that he might have to leave Manly because they cannot afford to pay him what he is worth.

Watch for Stewart to produce a special game. Timing is everything when your contract is nearing its expiry date. He will be extra keen to show that Manly cannot live without him.

While talking about Manly players, I’ll be secretly cheering that winger David Williams has a strong game. Everyone remembers The Wolfman’s ‘howler’ in last year’s decider – he is a terrific player who suffered a day to forget in the game that mattered most in 2013.

Switching to the Sydney Roosters, the guys who will grab my attention are hooker Jake Friend, prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and winger-fullback, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Under coach Robinson, Friend has developed into one of the most accomplished dummy halves in the game. He looks completely happy with his football and happy footballers are the most dangerous on the planet.

Waerea-Hargreaves is the standout prop in the comp. He has got himself fitter than ever, is playing a lot straighter and as an enforcer, he ranks as my No. 1.

The exciting RTS is being gradually blooded at fullback to take over from Anthony Minichiello. This kid is going to be something very, very special. He has the footwork and speed to make a mockery of any defence.

The weather in Sydney has been crappy all week but I don’t think it will have a detrimental effect on the professionalism and resolve of these two teams.

If you want a tip from the Wizard, I’m leaning towards the Roosters. Manly can never be at their absolute best when their gun fullback Brett Stewart is watching on from the stands.

I still have faith in the lyon as a pivot. He plays so differently to other number 6's though.Much less direct. He is old school with deft touch and slight of hand. He would kill it with snake at the back. Due to his style it wont gel instantly. He is nothing like foran. He will want his outide men to go around rather than confuse players with decoys

Not a bad article actually.

I think the switch to 5/8 at the last minute last week didn't do us any favours. If Killer plays there tonight we'll be better, but we'll have to be, too.
I hope Killer, Choc and Horo etc menace Maloney all night, and it's a perfect time for Gift to stamp his class and emphasise his worth.

Five losses in a row to them is just too much.
Will be tough, but we thought the same before the Souffs game, too.

Really hope the Wolfman redeems himself, and our pigs put it to them like they did to the Souffs pack. Can't wait!

8 more hours :)

Whatever the outcome, I believe that Manly will give it to them in spades :angel:

Someone needs to take out their #9 and we will stop their plays :idea:

Go Wolfie - fly like the Eagle that you are - Taupuo wears a skirt ! :angel:

We won a comp with Killer at 5/8, so I'm not worried about his ability there. Don't underestimate the impact he will have with Skivvy down the LHS, that was one of the few positives from last week I thought. Hopefully they will give SKiDmark hell tonight. The one downside is that it leaves Jennings less closely marked if Killer is defending RHS, it will be a big test for Satini. He and Wolf had better get their thing going on.

The problem is not Killer being able to handle playing 5/8, its the disruption to the outside backs without him there (especially in defence).
Parra gave us a bath down that side last week imagine what the Rorters will do to us!!
Id rather we play Ferris of Gifty at 6, we will be a lot more stable out wide.

As Stevo said, Gary mustn't have watched last weeks game.
Maybe it was just the lateness of the switch but last week we looked disorganised and uncertain because of the positional changes.
I would rather have seen Gifty slotted into 6 to leave Buhrer at lock where he had a blinder the previous week and most importantly leave Killer in his position. Wolfie seemed to not have any confidence or combination with Satini, which I guess is understandable but it doesn't help.

The Rooters will tear us up if last week is repeated.
Does anybody know which side RTS is on? He will be as hard to stop as Radradra. If it's Wolf and Satini, they'd better have their communication worked out.

Haha Mauler, we were writing the same thing at the same time.

He really thinks Manly could be more lethal with Lyon at 6 with Matai and Satini in the centres, than what they are with Foran at 6 with Lyon and Matai in the centres? Wow.

Could not agree more. I have no doubts that Jamie can handle the 5/8 role. The issue is who do we have to handle the right centre role. The Parra game surely indicated that young Satini is not ready for 1st grade fitnes and defence wise and being inside wolf is a disaster waiting to happen (again). The roosters will exploit that moreso than Parra did. I think tv is smarter than that. Bring gift into 5/8, leave jamie at centre and bring JSL into the pack. That's a good pack and that's a good side that will beat the chooks by +8.....without Brett, Kingy, Jorge, Foz and Tred!! Now there's a a statement and half this early in the season.

While i think that killer is the most qualified to cover foz, im confused by the fact that killer at 5/8 breaks our potent right side attack.

Why dont we keep order on our right side and bring up a junior to cover the left.

Killer is real different 5/8, he's a real schemer that quickly runs the short side. I like him there (over time, as we all saw in 2008 how devastating he could be), but a game here and there is hard to adjust. Foran is just such a straight running 5/8, which suits our left edge.

Don't like the weakening of our right side either, but I tell you what, $2.90 for us tonight....I like those odds.

If Satini plays we will be cut to pieces down there. Won't do anything for Wolfmans confidence either.

COMMANDER said:
they will be running at and bombing our weak side defence all night. (wolfie and satini)
The Big Bad Wolf and Fat Tony know this, lets trust in 2v and their effort to succeed :cool:

Been saying all week prefer the Gift, or even Buhrer at 5/8...just don't think Tooves will do it!

I like silver eagle's side there, too. Could indeed be a disaster with Wolfie and Satini there, as per last week. Chooks probably licking their lips over that ( or their beaks as it were) .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4