In the Daily Liberal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Whilst I agree that Dubbo should be be a frequent venue for NRL trials, I suspect the horse has bolted for 2006.

A club like the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles has already organised its trials for 2007 meaning 2008 would be the earliest Dubbo fans could expect to see the famous Northern Beaches team in action.

Having the City versus Country Origin game next year is a wonderful bonus for League followers in Dubbo and hopefully clubs yet to fill their trial roster for 2007 will give us careful consideration.

The other thing that might help is some pro-activeness from the NRL to get these trial games into genuine regional areas.

Why play trials at grounds like Brookvale Oval and Central Coast Stadium when they have their fair share of premiership games each year?

One would think the NRL would be well-served by forcing clubs to take games to areas that aren't any chance of regular season action.

Country areas, an invaluable Rugby League nursery, deserves nothing less.

Seeing that Manly has signed quite a few junior players form the Orange area it would have been appropriate to play a game there as well.

Its Wade Park, and the surface is great only issue is the cricket pitch in the middle. About 2 years ago Manly looked at playing in Wellington with its lower graders but on inspection they thought the grounds were too hard. It was the middle of the drought.

:bdh:

Yeah, I think Wade Park is a good venue for footy. You're right Ronmonster, the cricket pitch is a nasty problem, but other than that the facilities are good.

With a brand spanking new grandstand Dubbo easily has the best facilities in the Central West now.

Yes Mata, you do have an excellent venue there. It is a shame the country area's can't attract bigger games. I'm sure the people in Alice Springs are just jumping out of their skins knowing they are getting a game this year. Not knocking Alice Springs, but I would think the Central West area would benefit more from these games and what a better area to promote a sport that has a huge following.

Yes you are right about Apex oval but the issue is these games should be shared around the country so people in all regional areas have the chance to watch a NRL standard game without travelling long distances.

I note that Parkes and Bathurst had games last year.

Yes they did. I went to the Bathurst one and honestly, I was quite disappointed that both Penrith and Newcastle sent basically their premier league teams. I know its only trials but they should make an effort to send their strongest teams. People want to see their favourite players running around and thats what they pay for.

If the clubs were really serious about looking after grass roots then SuperLeague would never have happened. It was all about my backyard and balance sheets!

Clubs will serve the country if it suits their purposes - they are looking for juniors etc to pillage and not much more!!!

There was an article in the Wagga paper over the weekend stating Terry Quinn's (CRL boss) disappointment at the Riverina clubs not supporting the country challenge idea (where an NRL team would play a trial against a Group 20/ or a Group 9 team).
Wake up Terry...
They want to play the games in February and as far as country football goes the bush players are definately not even close to playing then and wouldn't even be able to get a team together.
Quinn should stop making half arsed suggestions from Pitt St and get off his arse and find out what would really work in the country by gee...I don't know, going out and speaking to them.

I don't think Dubbo has had a game since around 1999 - the infamous weekend where O'Neill shat in Schlossy's shoe.

Most trials next year are either in or close to the major cities or along the eastern seaboard.

It won't be until all the league talent that used to come out of the country dries up that they realise they have stuffed up big time by ignoring the bush. These guys are just going to play other sports like Aussie Rules and Union which get far better support from the top level.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6