1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving the image of the game

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Dan, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    In my humble opinion, had Gallop wanted to improve the image of the game, after it was brought into disrepute apparently by them, instead of fining the clubs, he should force them to make a donation of that amount to a charity related to the act they have been breached for, or another charity of their choice.

Imagine if instead of taking $50k off each team that goes into some blackhole. He said that

"We believe these actions have reflected poorly on the game, as such we are fining each of the clubs involved, by making a donation on their behalf of $50,000 each to the following charities"

They could then put the money towards, junior development, starlight foundation, breast cancer research, stopping domestic abuse and so on.

That would generate a lot of positive PR for the game and the administration, punish the clubs but reward some other non-related 3rd party, it makes it a win win situation really.

If they learned how to think before acting the administration could handle these situations in a far better way and turn the attention into positive spin.

Dan

2. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,744 / 257
    yep and that would answer Des's question as to "where is the money going"

3. eagle-rock08

eagle-rock08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I like your thoughts on that.

4. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    $50,000 should be spent on the Manly Warringah local Juniors.

These mysterious kiddies with the neurotic Mothers could be educated in the nuance of the great game of Rugby League.
    One criteria for participation - supply the Computer Games the kiddies are allowed to play with 24/7! To guage the level of violence they can stomach.

As Melbourne is a manufactured News Ltd entity, I do not know what Juniors they could spend the $50,000 on.

5. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Testicular cancer research.

That way gallop, hynchcliffe, quinn and slater could in no way benefit.

6. God

God Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +411 / 10
    If Gallop was really serious about improving the image of the game he'd make them all play in suits.

7. dowdz

dowdz Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +853 / 5
    Or he could quit

8. COMMANDER

COMMANDER IF YOU DO NOT TRY YOU CAN NOT FAIL 2016 Tipping Competitor

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,740 / 81
    topless cheerleaders would improve the games image.

9. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    Only the CEO needs to wear a suit. Especially in Nth QLD. :)

10. bhot

bhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Maybe Gus was onto something making Jennings buy tickets and hand them out to fans.....is there a way the NRL could make Manly buy $50k of tickets and hand them out at games?

11. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,795 / 122
    The fines should be donated to the Australian Boxing Federation.

12. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    Yea this was a fantastic punishment. And the NRL should sanction something else like this. All that stuff improves the image of the game

13. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +554 / 10
    All this "improving the image of the game" bollocks really doesn't sit well with me.
    Fights, brawls, meelees, punchups, fisticuffs, swinging arms, cheap-shots etc have been part of the game for over 100 years.
    If the argument of trying to win over Mums & whatever is their main cause, that means one thing.

They are trying to appeal to a wider market by watering down the product.

There is a term for that in the music industry.
    Selling out.

Piss off you weak pricks. Don't sell my game out to the dumb mums.
    My mum doesn't like all that "violence, blah, blah" but I still grew up playing the game.

Punch ups do far more advertising than mpney ever can.

14. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    When I saw the headline "improving the image of the game" I assumed that Rebecca Wilson had been removed to radio!!

15. OneEyedEagle

OneEyedEagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    Great post Dan, would be good to see the money put to good use such as breast cancer research or the star light foundation rather than the NRL coffers.

CW, I would prefer Rebecca Wilson be sent to some part of Afghanistan and embedded to a terrorist group (It sure fits in with her below mediocre journalistic skills and I'm sure she won't get any knock backs while there). Sadly it won't ever happen as there are no alcohol based incentive for her to consider. On the bright side if she did go, she could have a blast of a time practising her DUI driving skills.

16. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,485 / 42
    Agree Duff. Gallop keeps going on about damaging the "brand". Now I'm no ad/marketing person by any stretch...but by all recent polls asking wether the punters(customers) liked it. The answer is a resounding YES. So therefore the brand is intact, and I would think that the customer is more than happy with the 'image".They are altering the original product to suit their misguided and hypocritical agendas.