1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm suing

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by globaleagle, Apr 29, 2013.

1. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,788 / 58
    Basically A former hockey Gen Mgr is suing a whole bunch of anonymous online posters for defamation.

He plans to unmask their usernames and raise a lawsuit against them.

Now everyone shake in their boots!!!!

....Mr. Burke, the former general manager and president of the Toronto Maple Leafs, filed a lawsuit Friday with the B.C. Supreme Court alleging defamation against 18 defendants, whose identities are limited to cryptic online handles such as Ncognito, Slobberface and Sir Psycho Sexy.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/how-former-leafs-gm-brian-burke-aims-to-unmask-online-rumour-mongers/article11595595/

edit: For those who didn't click ...yet.

According to the court filing, comments made between Jan. 12 and Jan. 28, 2013 accused Mr. Burke of having an extramarital affair with Rogers Sportsnet sportscaster Hazel Mae. The court documents say Mr. Burke is suing for losses and damages to his reputation.

2. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    A lesson there for anyone who thinks they can post what they like about who the like (web ever they like)

3. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,808 / 53
    That Tom Waterhouse is a rather nice chap, doesn't everyone agree?

On a completely unrelated note, is anybody keeping count of how many people he is suing for defamation?

4. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,347 / 111
    I thought this was about Richard Ings wife, Sue.

5. Fairy Bower

Fairy Bower Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Tom Waterhouse ain't as rich as he would have us believe. I read a very interesting article a few weeks ago in BRW where they claimed;

* He only owns 25% of the business (tomwaterhouse.com)

* Has only 10% of the local market

* Has yet to turn a profit. It's estimated he spends $25M on marketing

http://brw.com.au/p/brw-lounge/well_tom_waterhouse_but_not_gai_WNgiq9bQaBb4I8mPqs8x8M

6. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    In particularly that you are responsible for what you post and not the site. However international case like this wouldn't set a precedence and the users identities are protected

7. Clint

Clint . Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 14
    Did I hear correctly this morning, that an American basketball fan is suing a prominent player for anguish and heartache, as the player has been injured for the last 12 months and hasn't played?

Surely not???
    It is these sorts of cases that make a mockery of the system.

8. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,808 / 53
    If true we should launch a class action against D Gallop for wrongfully depriving us of B Stewart for 4 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    It amazes me what people are happy to post and about who.

Not only are there the potential legal issues (to be tested in Australia) there are career implications as well

It is my line of work but the first thing I do before I hire someone is an in-depth social search. Sure there are things that are not relevant but abusing public figures can reveal as much about a potential employee as an interview

10. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,795 / 122
    Never mind the defamation – they should be sued anyway, just for making people see usernames like Slobberface and Sir Psycho Sexy.....

11. Oliver

Oliver Active Member

Ratings:
    +122 / 2
    Good luck, I'm behind 7 proxies.