I'm gonna say it.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevo

First Grader
The top 8 Mcintyre system this year is a joke. Does it really benefit the top 4 teams?

What is the point of the top 4 teams bashing the **** out of each other before the sudden death matches start? Yes we should be able to beat anyone to get to the GF but seriously. How does it benefit the loser of tomorrow nights match to back up next week after playing a match that may replicate grand final intensity?

No. I think it's better.
We know what the elimination matches are.
There are better quality match ups.
The only inequality is that certain Sydney clubs never get home ground advantage because someone deems the home grounds not suitable. Tell me, is Dairy Farmers any better than Brookie, Shark Park, Kogarah or Penrith Park?

It is better in that the losing teams from the top 4 get a guaranteed home game week 2, and the first teams to be eliminated have to be one of the bottom 4 teams.

But I do understand the point about the top 4 teams bashing the crap out of each other.

Under the old system we would have had Manly V Cows, Souths v Canberra, Melbourne v Sharks, and Dogs v Brisbane. As a fan I much prefer the games we have this week instead.

... and potentially, the 3rd and 4th teams (Souffs and Manly) could have been eliminated in that first week.
I think the new system is fairer. But I think everyone knows that unless you finish in the top five you don;t really deserve to be in the finals.

Also there was also often no benefit to the winning side or loss for the losing side in those middle games

No advantage for a Sydney team finishing first.

4th gets the same advantage as first if both are Sydney teams.

Imagine if it were Manly first, Dogs fourth. Our reward for winning the minor premiership would be playing the Dogs at their home ground.

COMMANDER said:

Imagine if it were Manly first, Dogs fourth. Our reward for winning the minor premiership would be playing the Dogs at their home ground.

Ahhh Queenslanders,God's redheaded stepchildren

Manly play home finals at the SFS,not Homeless Stadium

The Eagle said:
COMMANDER said:

The NRL decide where the game is. From nrl.com:

Week One: Qualifying Finals & Elimination Finals
The highest qualifying teams after 26 Rounds will host each match at their normal home venue, with exception to any Sydney based NRL club which will play their 'home game' at either the SFS or ANZ Stadium.

says nothing about which clubs play where. I have no doubt that the game was always going to be played at Homebush.

mmmdl said:
The Eagle said:
COMMANDER said:

The NRL decide where the game is. From nrl.com:

Week One: Qualifying Finals & Elimination Finals
The highest qualifying teams after 26 Rounds will host each match at their normal home venue, with exception to any Sydney based NRL club which will play their 'home game' at either the SFS or ANZ Stadium.

says nothing about which clubs play where. I have no doubt that the game was always going to be played at Homebush.

Rd 2 of the finals is "home region" so effectively the Cowboys can be made to play at Suncorp ( not that it will happen ). I'm pretty sure playing at the SFS or ANZ holds no fear for us and I don't really think it holds too much of an advantage to any of the other Sydney teams.
I think we're better off playing the Dogs here than the Storm down there.
If we still had the McIntyre system we'd be playing the Cowboys and a loss could be curtains, I know what I'd prefer.

If it was a legit battle of the best, it would be a top 5. But because its about money were stuck with 2 crappy final 8 systems to choose from.

I hate both systems but think the old one atleast gave the top 2 teams an easy shot at making the grand final qualifier. Now there's no reward for top 2. They have to play a hard game, and if they lose, face a team in the second week that is coming off an easier game vs a lower placed team.
I think that's a much bigger negative than anything that was bad with the old setup.

Can't believe they held onto the McIntyre system for so long. It was mostly teams 1 and 2 beat 7 and 8, teams 3,4,5,6 do the hokey pokey. What a waste. Also waiting for other games to decide your fate was the biggest joke of all.

The Eagle said:
COMMANDER said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmAhWbWjD9s

The Eagle said:

There is no way the NRL would have played this game at the SFS. Dogberg would have seen to that with cries of "you will be locking out fans." Hope I am wrong but I don't think we'll see a crowd of 45,000+ getting there tonight.

Mals said:
The Eagle said:

There is no way the NRL would have played this game at the SFS. Dogberg would have seen to that with cries of "you will be locking out fans." Hope I am wrong but I don't think we'll see a crowd of 45,000+ getting there tonight.

..... Dogberg

This system is so much better. Better games and no games that don't matter - 4v5 under the old system often didn't matter at all.

If you like don't think of it as the first week of the finals - think of it as 5-8 playing off to get into the finals and 1-4 playing off for a week off. That way next week is the start of a 6 team final comp and everyone is happy!

The problem with the old system is it was highly predictable as early rounds were deliberately mismatched.

The problem with the new system is that due to the intensity of early rounds teams might limp into the final rounds. We also can get repeats.

We could play the dogs 4 times this season.

Wait and see but this first round is way more interesting.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8