1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I will say it.

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Top End Eagle, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Top End Eagle

Top End Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942 / 40
    Brett Stewart was a favourite player of mine for so long that I overlooked the fact he carried on like a goose for this latter part of his career. He hasn't done anyone any favours with his attitude least of all himself. I can't imagine what he went through in 2009 but as a normal adult human I've been through some tough times myself. I haven't been payed half a million dollars a year to do something I love whilst this has happened though. We all have tough times. How we carry ourselves through them is the mark of the person we are. Brett Stewart is not someone I would want my children to look up to. But nor would I wish what he went through to happen to anyone.

No matter how much I have loved him as a player in the past. What he is doing on the field at present is tarnishing a great career. If he is injured he really needs to rest. If it is a form slump he needs a rest too. Come back snake.

Edit. Was a bit harsh last night. I hope like everyone here he turns around miraculously. And becomes the prince of Brookvale again. Has been my favourite player since Menzies.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    Tom to Fullback next week, move snake on as soon as possible

3. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

Burleigh Heads
    Ratings:
    +392 / 48
    I thought he made a better effort tonight. Pretty sure he is just too busted, sad to see him like this, I remember him in better days. He has scored some of the greatest tries in the history of the game, and been in the top 5 all time fullbacks in the game. I think we should cut him a bit of slack, and be grateful we had him with a Manly jersey on.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,344 / 56
    Stewart was a brilliant player that is now just a park footballer due to injuries, age , health & it's sadly obvious - he does not want to be there.
    Personally believe he has given too much good to Manly to kick him while down, but is seriously depressing watching this champion fullback deteriate to possibly the worst player in first grade....the fact he was arguably up with the best only makes it worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. anthonyb1965

anthonyb1965 GO Manly Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +504 / 15
    Why is his play now cowardly?

6. Top End Eagle

Ratings:
    +942 / 40
    Mate if they move turbo from the centres I will quit the game. No following no silver tails done. That kid will be an immortal centre. And a half decent fullback with walker and turbo as his centres will be a sensation with defenders looking outside at both those blokes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,700 / 257
    Will NOT happen whilst ever ZtH is a power broker!!

8. God

God Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 10
    Terrible - should have been cut many many moons ago and we could have kept whare, hiku and gutho had he gone when he should have.

Needs to have a massive look at himself and just step down, even Billy Slaters had the decency to reconsider his position after ongoing injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Waz13

Waz13 Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 2
    Yes sad to see. Loved him in the number 1 for so long and when at his best he and slater were as good as anyone to wear the number 1. I'm loving watching games with my 6 year old he gives such honest feedback and just loves manly. Tonight he said "dad, Stewart doesn't run hard. We need someone better at fullback". Now he is 6 but I was honestly thinking the same. I'll give snake a month and if this form is still here o think we drop him and give 1 to Tommy.

10. Top End Eagle

Ratings:
    +942 / 40
    Think really hard about that. You might answer your own question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,803 / 53
    His body is shot. You can see him wincing every time he hits the defence. He has aged 10 years in the last 12 months.

I think he's struggling mentally to accept that he can't do it anymore, and I think he'll continue to struggle with that even after retirement.

I'll always remember him for the good times, and I hope these times finish soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,792 / 122
    That's quite a poor comment, Top End. Unless you have some inside information. I've been watching the matches and clearly he can't stretch out at all, but has played to help out the club in one of its darker hours.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. God

God Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 10
    I hope for his sake he's playing injured because if he's not his nickname should be changed from Snake to marsh mellow or pillow because that's how soft he looks at present.

14. silvertail

silvertail Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 6
  15. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    No way I'm going to stick the knife into a legend. Can't argue he is playing crap, for whatever reason, but the great times outweigh the bad a thousand times over. Probably the key player in our golden run - an all time great who has given all manly fans memories to last a life time. For me it's just sad the way he looks like going out - I don't really care about his form because this season is shot anyway. I'd just like to see a fairytale end with a try at brookie for the prince.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. NYEagle

NYEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,154 / 69
    Give snake a month?.
    Is 11 losses in a row your limit?
    NYEagle

17. Harvies elbow

Harvies elbow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    Wow top end. Maybe a bit harsh.I wrote something earlier on the Catalans thread along similar lines but what I DO think is cowardly is people who are letting him play when he shouldn't.
    What concerns me is how he'll get the send off he deserves in his last outing at Brookie.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. NYEagle

NYEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,154 / 69
    But he wants to play 3 more years in the UK. I'm confused.
    Don't you also have to run when you play rugby league in the UK?. Or is it a higher altitude or something over there.
    NYEagle

19. God

God Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 10
    Delusional, if he thinks he has one more year in him let alone three. Im sure even english clubs aren't that desperate.

20. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,792 / 122
    @God, can't you act in a situation like this?

• Funny Funny x 2