How to improve refereeing standard

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
1. Appoint a new head that takes responsibility for improving the standard of refereeing. Someone that is a little old school that understands obstruction and can clean up the ruck.

2. Go back to one ref on the field. End up with double the refs we need. Performance manage the lot of them. Drop them for any poor performance.

3. Give the video ref more powers to rule on any matter but also hurry up their decision making.

4. Ban players from stepping over the mark.

5. Penalise the decoy runner if THEY make any contact with a defender.

6. Ensure the standard (speed of game) remains the same throughout the season. Pretty soon the game will speed up again to the suit the expected excitement of the state of origin series. Conversely, I must have been in a time warp lat night; next to no penalties with their slow big forwards allowed to lie in the ruck forever.

7. Start to give Manly some penalties when the ball is stripped. When we do it, it's a strip. When we cop it, it's a loose carry.

8. Let Toovey speak as honestly as he wants at press conferences

9. Investigate all current referee financial transactions, just to be sure.

10. Provide a detailed apology for the refereeing standard in last years grand final. If Thurston really thinks he has a right to sook after one bad decision, then send him some tissues a video of the GF where 13 big calls went against us.

This went from some good ideas to having a dig. Agree with most of it except video ref, they already f**k up enough rulings with their 'interpretations.'

ifernolan said:
This went from some good ideas to having a dig. Agree with most of it except video ref, they already f**k up enough rulings with their 'interpretations.'

Sorry, couldn't resist having a dig.

On the video refs, I have always thought that a video refs eyes will be better on most occasions with making the right call.

Think back to Lyon kicking in the grand final, ball was clearly deflected by a defender, yet the video ref stayed silent whilst everyone got ready to pack the scrum. It was an injustice and should have been rectified by the video ref.

The major problems that the refs have are all to do with the refs being coached not to use their judgement and outsource every big decision.

I have watched games for 40 years and its always a give away when a player knows that he has scored and when he hasnt.

I would rather a ref make an error through having the guts to make a call rather than referring the decision to someone else who has a different opinion.

Having watched last nights game, there were 2 blatant errors in our 4th try and there was an obstruction against Foz in their last try.

The refs need to be decisive and I think that will improve their confidence and also the players will accept things too.

It it is an obvious error, the guy upstairs can pick it up.

Its madness that the guy upstairs cant help with forward passes cause to me they are much more of a problem than obstructions.

1. Eliminate the knock on rule all together. If you drop it and retain possession it's play on.
2. Change the stripping rule. You can strip, but if the ball hits the ground in the process of stripping the player being stripped retains possession.
3. Go back to one ref

That would fix 90% of contentious calls.

I can abide a mistake from a ref when it is made in real time and often with a confusion of bodies and obscured lines of sight.

What I cannot abide is a mistake made by a couple of pelicans up in an air conditioned box, after the benefit of multiple replays from 5 angles, slow motion and time enough to read the rule book.

Roosters supporter in line in front of me today to his mate, damn Manly, them and the Dogs always get the refs calls, quite ironic:sleepy::dodgy::shy:[/i]

Allow me to play the Devils advocate for a moment but going back to 1 ref could see the following things happen. The wrestle would come back in force, stripping would become rife again and more guesses would be made then there already is and the 10m would become a joke. Remember there was a reason it was brought in, in the first place.

Sorry I just don't see refereeing standard improving until we have cyborgs on the field with a whistle, replacing the current incompetent lot

Souths also believe they were on the wrong side of an obstruction try that cost them the game against the bulldogs. Funny, no comments from Todd regarding that one. I think ref standards could be improved by having an impartial person in Todd''s position. He could go to soccer with David.

niccipops said:
Souths also believe they were on the wrong side of an obstruction try that cost them the game against the bulldogs. Funny, no comments from Todd regarding that one. I think ref standards could be improved by having an impartial person in Todd''s position. He could go to soccer with David.
Someone highly respected by everyone in the football community, someone of genuine integrity and impeccable honesty.
Someone with an unblemished record.
Yes, Beaver would be perfect :angel:

It doesn't seem Tony Archer really has the power to change anything with Greenturd and the other NRL circle jerks running the game. Seems like they decide when something needs to change in ref standards for the better and only use the ref head as the scapegoat for when things go bad.

Can someone please upload the video of Sutton scoring an identical try against us last year. There was no Spanish Inquisition by the media after that decision.

PS I am technically incompetent when it comes to uploading videos and I'm sure we will all get a chuckle over how identical the tries were.

silvertail said:
Can someone please upload the video of Sutton scoring an identical try against us last year. There was no Spanish Inquisition by the media after that decision.

PS I am technically incompetent when it comes to uploading videos and I'm sure we will all get a chuckle over how identical the tries were.
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms...

Last year Manly copped plenty from the media when it was alleged that Lyon deliberately walked into and made out that he was bowled over by a decoy runner.

I have said all along, keep it simple when it comes to decoy runners. THEY come in contact with a defender, then it's a penalty. If a defender clearly has eyes only for milking a penalty and goes out of their way to step into the decoy and THEY make contact with the decoy, then it's play on.

The over-reaction to that Lyon incident has continued the tweaking with how to rule on obstruction plays.

Keep it simple and get rid of the discretion currently permitted. Yes, there was an argument that the impeded players wasn't really jumping out of his skin to tackle Foran and there is a good chance that even if he wasn't obstructed, he probably does not save the try anyway. But penalising Buhrer for making contact is always going to be the right outcome if consistently ruled.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4