How low are you willing to go?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
W
I know we've been through some rubbish before but, apart from the Northern Eagles which I chose to ignore, I can't recall much worse than this.
Sure we've had years of front office probs and infighting but none of that has previously effected the onfield performances. Suddenly we're looking like serious spoon contenders. Eek!
I suspect the massive injury toll has much to do with the results but wowser are we having mud slung at us: everything from offers to sell, to DCE and Tapau leaving to Baz walking out - everyone but Cartwright it seems!
And then there's the cheating, the appeals, hands tied, yada yada.
It all made me wonder how low I'd be happy to go and what would I want the resurrection to look like.
Here goes.
I could go to second last.
I could live without Tapau and DCE because, while I think both are brilliant, both are very much branded individuals more so than team guys like the Turbos.
I'd be willing to stick with Baz if I had some idea of what team he actually wanted and how he wanted them to play. In the third year of his rookie season (from now on to be permanently known as The Rookie from Brookie), I still have no clue.
I'd be happy to get through our salary cap penalty if we could just start from a low base, like the Knights and Tigers have, and play as a champion team rather than the cliched team of champions. A Manly team. I really enjoyed the gradual rise of the Des team - a little better each year til 40-0 baby!
And as long as we keep up our record of a premiership every decade since the seventies, I'll be happy.

Just late night thoughts. Anyone else?
When we lose TEN IN A ROW,

I don't want us to ever get the wooden spoon, I get pissed off with the current situation we are going through, but if we can avoid the spoon it won't be so bad.

I have followed Manly and the footy since 1973 except for 2000-2002 where I couldn't bring myself to enjoy the game even though I tried.
The lowest we could go besides a spoon is the club being relocated out of Sydney, name and colours changed or merging again. If this happens I won't follow the NRL.

Have no idea what Penn is doing or who is guiding him but it does seem he is going the wrong way about running the club. I laugh at the talk of him wanting to sell at the moment, one would think if you wanted to do that you would do it when the team is a constant premiership contender while the value is high. Why would you sell it at the current state of the club is in, surely the value would be almost nothing.

I'm here till the death.

It never ceases to amaze me the urge to kick a dog when he's down. The media print this doomsday dribble cause people lap it up. There is no integrity in "journalism" anymore. Humans are ambulance chasing C$%TS!! I'd be getting tired of saying i'm not selling if i was the Penns. Also James Hooper is a ****ing moron that i swear doesn't know squat about footy. His anti manly agenda is horrible and i can't stand the smug bastard. Apologies for the swearing.

'Fans' sinking the boot in and making up dribble makes me sad and disappointed (because it feeds the cycle) and i find it hard to read hence i sometimes take sabbaticals from ST. Journos saying that **** just makes me angry. :banghead:

Till death do us part and i wouldn't have it any other way!

Rant over.

I'm here till the death.

It never ceases to amaze me the urge to kick a dog when he's down. The media print this doomsday dribble cause people lap it up. There is no integrity in "journalism" anymore. Humans are ambulance chasing C$%TS!! I'd be getting tired of saying i'm not selling if i was the Penns. Also James Hooper is a ****ing moron that i swear doesn't know squat about footy. His anti manly agenda is horrible and i can't stand the smug bastard. Apologies for the swearing.

'Fans' sinking the boot in and making up dribble makes me sad and disappointed (because it feeds the cycle) and i find it hard to read hence i sometimes take sabbaticals from ST. Journos saying that **** just makes me angry. :banghead:

Till death do us part and i wouldn't have it any other way!

Rant over.

Not just sports journalism either, have you bought a paper or watched a commercial TV news program recently??

If so, paper 60 pages of doom and gloom and bad news and then if you are really lucky one small story ( 1/4 page maybe) that’s something positive.

And TV, let’s pick the 60 minute versions each night, first 25 minutes doom and gloom, then sport then weather , the second set ( 30 minutes) largely a repeat of most of the first 25 but condensed, then a longer sport / weather segment.

The world thrives on bad news , the worse it is the better for the media , they absolutely LOVE people’s misery!

Sports journos are exactly the same, no one wants to know what a happy team the Dragons are, or how the physio is doing wonders keeping them on the paddock, it’s ALL about what’s the latest doom and gloom!

And if that doom and gloom involves the most hated team in the competition then that is pure media gold plated with winner winner chicken dinner material!!

Dce is going nowhere and who could afford him . We'd have to pay half his contract then get another half , still up around the mil. How low would i go , im thinking about chaining myself to Greenbergs front ****ing door and demanding how the roosters are under the cap.
Pretty simple. The Roosters have access to almost unlimited non-guaranteed third party payments. Non-guaranteed TPA's are not counted under the cap.

So while they motor along knowing that all their TPA's will be paid by rich people we plug along hoping to **** we have a decent season so our TPA's don't fall apart and players don't get paid.

What salary cap you might ask? Exactly. The playing field is not fair.

I agree with everything in your post except I am not sure if I rate Baz.

Too many heads dropping and quitting on plays for my liking. The one thing Toovey and Hasler were able to do, in the main, is keep their heads up despite what was happening off the field.

However, the Roosters game was a ray of light, particularly in regards to the comraderie and the talk on the field, however I need to see this for more than one game and need to see wins.

I hope Baz can prove me wrong and we have a strong next 7 weeks and stick it to all the pen pushers. I actually tip Manly to beat Brisbane. Let's see!!!

NYEagle

I may be misreading the thread, but is the question how low would Manly have to sink before I pack it in?

We could win the next 30 wooden spoons and I'd still cheer them on
My mistake. I'd never support anyone else. It was more about how much we could take before it became REALLY painful.

I would rather lose Cherry-Evans than tapau In fact I think Manly should sell DCE to the highest bidder as he is not worth the money we are paying him
As hard as it would be on our salary cap I think it’s the right move.. I think he is front and centre of everything wrong with manly at the moment. There’s been issues with him since day dot. Besides, he isn’t exactly performing like a marquee half other than perhaps last year, but even then I reckon someone like brooks or Keary would have a field day behind our pack in kapow, afb and jakey boy.

To me, this seems worse than the Northern Eagles as I at least had hope back then. I would not trade Kapow for anybody, the bloke tries his guts out with intent every time he runs it. Apart from a 5/8 and some backrow injuries, I reckon we have the players, I just don't know the reasons they are going so bad as a team.

Geez @brad , At one stage I didn't know where your comments were leading to. I kind of stopped myself reading to the point of you chaining yourself to greenbergs front fuc^king door... i assumed you were willing to go extremely low. Chin up brother. Things aren't that bad.
Not yet mate .

@Ryan is pretty spot on, after what will be a low year ( and yes we could even run last) we are literally a decent forward , winger and 5/8 away from a really good side.

And I agree with him that despite the salary cap reduction the loss of Myles, Lussick, Hastings, Brown, Uate ( and I think there’s more) will give us the funds to get 3 reasonable players ( as long as they’ll come) and with those 3 I think we’d be well placed in 2019.

But we possibly need to brace ourselves that this will be a year that we are somewhere from 14-16, and just live with it.

Not only have we lost Green, we’ve also lost through injury quite a few more which is making it very very hard.

I won’t slit my wrists if we win the spoon, I’ll be sad, but I’ll never give up whilstever my team is playing as the name and colours that they are.

@Ryan is pretty spot on, after what will be a low year ( and yes we could even run last) we are literally a decent forward , winger and 5/8 away from a really good side.

And I agree with him that despite the salary cap reduction the loss of Myles, Lussick, Hastings, Brown, Uate ( and I think there’s more) will give us the funds to get 3 reasonable players ( as long as they’ll come) and with those 3 I think we’d be well placed in 2019.

But we possibly need to brace ourselves that this will be a year that we are somewhere from 14-16, and just live with it.

Not only have we lost Green, we’ve also lost through injury quite a few more which is making it very very hard.

I won’t slit my wrists if we win the spoon, I’ll be sad, but I’ll never give up whilstever my team is playing as the name and colours that they are.

Also think next year if we give , Moses S, TP ( which we have already) and hopefully tavita funa , Top all first grade experience this year they will be better for the run next year.

Seriously if we could I would give also Cade cust Manase Fainu a run this year but with the top 30 this won't happen.

I agree if we can avoid the spoon job done for the year..think we will run 13th we still get a few back from injury and will cause some upsets going forward.

And yes a few decent signings after we move on the above players and I agree I few more will go then 2019 while not a title year think lower top 8 should be a bare minimum.

Last edited:
its a funny one. Id always consider myself a supporter since i was a kid (im 25). But its always been through our leaner years that i've been somewhat obsessive. Post 2008 grand final flogging i was a little bit disinterested, couldve just been the age but i wasnt watching every game. Maybe only once or twice a year. But its been since the sharp decline of the club once des left that i really got back into it. Funnily enough ive found it easier to be passionate about supporting the underdog as opposed to a team that was expected to win with ease. The build up and steady improvement leading upto our 2008 grand final and years of domination was way more pleasurable to watch than the 2011 win for mine.

Seriously ? I cant remember that game . Why was it one of your most enjoyable game ?
Great atmosphere among both supporter groups, North Sydney oval was packed and it was just fun, no one in the crowd was taking it too seriously or were concerned with the results was a great day and a fun game to be at

The coach has to go if we run last. Replace him with someone who has some pride & maroon running through his veins.
End ex....

I'm with the team until, and even after I die, as I'll be warpped in the maroon and white flag when I'm burnt.

I don't care about the off field ****. I don't care about the on field fortunes (well, I DO, but not when it comes to quitting on them).

This is my club. Forever. Remember guys, the negative **** happening right now is fleeting. Doesn't last forever. Good times will be ahead.

I'm with the team until, and even after I die, as I'll be warpped in the maroon and white flag when I'm burnt.

I don't care about the off field ****. I don't care about the on field fortunes (well, I DO, but not when it comes to quitting on them).

This is my club. Forever. Remember guys, the negative **** happening right now is fleeting. Doesn't last forever. Good times will be ahead.
Meh - sit there & wave ya flag. Me I want change & success. I don't want to be those old south supporters I watched blindly turning up to watch their team humiliated & flogged every week.

I won't bail but I am really frustrated by the numb nuts we have in charge. Poor decisions followed by more poor decisions. Dumb management, dumb team selections, poor coaching and no leadership equates to dumb and dumber for me. Somebody has to take responsibility for the mess we are in and stop blaming bad luck. Time to clean out the dead wood left in management, particularly those that eat too much and if we wind up with the spoon all of the coaching staff must go!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8