[Resurrected] How good was Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What people tend to forget about Matai is that he wasn't a big guy. In fact, when he was standing in front of us in a queue at Target at Warringah Mall one day, my wife couldn't believe he was that small (of course, being married to me, she's used to a certain size…) And, apart from his opposite number, he'd always smash the biggest guy on the field. Such fearlessness and timing - one of my favourite Manly players of all time.

What people tend to forget about Matai is that he wasn't a big guy. In fact, when he was standing in front of us in a queue at Target at Warringah Mall one day, my wife couldn't believe he was that small (of course, being married to me, she's used to a certain size…) And, apart from his opposite number, he'd always smash the biggest guy on the field. Such fearlessness and timing - one of my favourite Manly players of all time.
I agree , You don't have to be big to have a big heart and great strength . Good timing is needed as well but you still need to have strength to make the big hits . Toovey was a fine example . I remember one match in Newcastle where Toovey took the Giant prop Paul Harrigon head on and dumped him on his ass

My favourite! big love Stevie!
He's the type of player you had to see to believe.. one of the G.O.A.T backline defenders..
Can anyone think of a better backline defender? Guys like Matt Cooper had a good rep for clean consistent defence but in the history of the game, is there anyone regarded as better? Any David Middletons out there?

My favourite! big love Stevie!
He's the type of player you had to see to believe.. one of the G.O.A.T backline defenders..
Can anyone think of a better backline defender? Guys like Matt Cooper had a good rep for clean consistent defence but in the history of the game, is there anyone regarded as better? Any David Middletons out there?
I’m going to say “no”... his impact and ability to turn a game out way with his defence was unparalleled. Darrel Williams had some similar hits in his game... he was bigger but didn’t get the hits on as often. Wombat maybe? Only caught the tail end of his career, but recall him dumping Steve Ella on his ass in a final one year...

• 👍
Reactions: R3
I’m going to say “no”... his impact and ability to turn a game out way with his defence was unparalleled. Darrel Williams had some similar hits in his game... he was bigger but didn’t get the hits on as often. Wombat maybe? Only caught the tail end of his career, but recall him dumping Steve Ella on his ass in a final one year...

Matai was pretty much in a league of his own .....

Not in the same class, but back in the late 60's Manly had a centre named Alec Tennant .... a lot of blokes he crashed into were given the details later by team mates ..

The most devastating tackler since Randall.
Tooves and Jake are great in all aspects too but skivvy was devastating.
No wonder he's chronic now.

Many forget Matai started pretty scratchy in his first year or two (as many do) and had to make a lot of improvement to get his game to the top level.

Good thing he wasn't written off like after 2 games like some are with Croker.

Many forget Matai started pretty scratchy in his first year or two (as many do) and had to make a lot of improvement to get his game to the top level.

Good thing he wasn't written off like after 2 games like some are with Croker.
Unlike your many doubters I always saw something special in Matai and always thought he was going to excel . We pick some and some we don't and I certainly picked that Matai was going to be a good one

Nice to reminisce sometimes....

The way he flew out of the line and targeted the poor bastard with the ball..terrifying and wonderful all rolled into one!!! Enjoy
You my friend are a better man than me, but not a chance in this world would I have condoned my wife finding out how big Steve Mattai is.
You sir are a rolled gold genuine Manly fan to have done that.

Only Jamie Lyon is better.

one things for sure:
if matai had put on the hit that thurston did last night he would have been placed on report & then charged, probably suspended also

shoulder-charge_t8k0csh83ooe1i598ntrhlqt9.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8