Hodkinson returns to Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can someone please post this article that just appeared on DT. I can't get past the paywall. Hodko talking about his new role with daly

I remember Billy Shirt On. I had just had my fiftieth birthday party when he starred in the '22 grand final against the Teddys. Lost that one. Frank Burge spat the dummy during that match. Top 5/8 was Billy. The good old Dirty Reds. Mind you it wasnt my first fiftieth really. I'm a little older than that. Go the Gs.:hi::hi::hi:
That’s good stuff right there!

Hodko slotted into the team nicely tonight and you wouldn't think it was his first game. Great support for DCE and his goalkicking was spot on at crucial times.
I'm not ashamed to admit it was that good to see him in Manly colours again it teared me up. Welcome back Hodko :inlove: and well done to whoever orchestrated it :clap:

Hodko's only mistake was jumping onto the back of a defender ad Turbo ran through for his try.:confused:

40 minutes earlier Jake was sin binned for the very same thing

Good to see him back :inlove:

Walker was playing well at 5/8, that I'll admit. However, we looked a hell of a lot more organised after Hodko came on and that takes a lot of pressure off of DCE to do everything. And his goal kicking is a bonus. If he's not in the #6 jumper in Canberra on Friday night I'll be extremely surprised.

And when the pressure was off, Cherry started playing better. That kick he put in for Turbo's try was his best kick all year.

Have to give props to Matty Wright as well. His try was a text book example of never giving up. He was the only one....the ONLY ONE from both sides who bothered to chase that kick, and it paid off big time.

Just one thing....just how quick is Josh Addo-Carr. He gave Tommy about a 10 metre start and had him inside of 60 metres. Tom's quick, we all know that.....but Addo-Carr burned him big time.

Best thing I saw from Hodko last night that really caught my eye was when he get the ball for his last tackle play. Was given the ball down the sideline but instead of kicking straight away he saw space and ran it then kicked as a last resort. I realky liked seeing that he isnt reluctant to take the line on. Other positives were he slotted in seamlessly with DCE and Tom, great goal kicker, great general kicker and his defence was very strong pulling off a try saver. Well done Hodko! Welcome back.

Hodko's only mistake was jumping onto the back of a defender ad Turbo ran through for his try.:confused:

40 minutes earlier Jake was sin binned for the very same thing

Good to see him back :inlove:

I don't think he jumped on his back ... he was watching the ball and ran into the back of a defender who was beaten & knew it !!

I'm sure it wasn't a poached by the dogs type situation.
I remember When we signed him cherry was In 20s and I read a few places hodko was only a stop gap between ox and dce.

From what I recall the plan was always to run dce around qld cup for a year or 2 after 20s before giving him the nrl job, the dogs big offer just sped it up by a year as we wernt willing to pay overs knowing dce was on his way in..

Will google it, but I'm 100% even when dce was in his last year of 20s he was touted by everyone as the star 7 in the nxt few seasons

Yep. Long story, but my sisters’ school principal at the time was a Bulldogs fan and we used to bump into him all the time around town. When he was skiting about the Hodko signing I remember telling him it was no big deal, we’d been watching DCE come up through 20s and Trent was only warming the seat for him.

That said, really glad to have Hodko back, the combo with DCE looks promising already and he’s a fantastic human as well.

At the start of the year I was critical of us looking to go after Hokko given his age and vulnerability to injuries but also thought we could cover the 6 spot with giving the young guys a go....yet having seen our start to the year and crokers attempt (who gave it his all but was not the answer yet) .. I’ve come full circle on this and feel he is exactly what we need ! Calming influence who can steer the team around, take pressure off DCE and kick goals. I think we all know the importance of the ‘role’ a Hokko type of player can do,for our side in particular (well me anyway) .. looking forward to the next few weeks.

On a side note, last night is a team playing for each other and cannot fault there effort and will to win - hope the sin bin issue does not hide the fact of how we dug in and won that game !
Fk the storm

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8