Hicks loses sleep

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Keeping his cool
John Greco
14Sep07

INJURED Manly winger Chris Hicks last night revealed his incredible recovery regime to ensure he makes a miracle return for next weekend's preliminary final.

Originally fearing his season was over after badly twisting his ankle against the Rabbitohs on Saturday night, Hicks has spent the last five days icing the injury around the clock in a desperate bid to win a premiership with the club.

Hicks' personal mission to get back on the field next week has seen the 30-year-old wake in the middle of the night every two hours to ice the ankle for 20 minutes at a time.

He has also been getting around in a moon boot all week to minimise the stress on his foot.

``The sleep pattern hasn't been the best this week,'' Hicks, who will link up with Warrington in the European Super League next year, admitted last night.

``I've had to get up every couple of hours to ice it and also keep it up. But it's a small price to pay if I can play next week. There's a fair bit of swelling there still but it feels all right.

``I've been icing it 12 times a day . . .it's a slow process. I'll just keep doing all I can to make sure I get back.''

Hicks has yet to start running again but yesterday rated himself a ``pretty good chance'' to return next weekend.

``I've made a point to stay positive about it,'' he said.

``I saw the doc yesterday and he's been pretty happy with my progress. We'll just see how it goes but I'll keep doing my best.''

Backrower Glenn Stewart, who also injured his ankle during the game against the Rabbitohs, continues to make good progress and looks a certain starter for the clash against either the Cowboys or Warriors.

Meanwhile prop Glenn Hall said his injured shoulder would definitely be right for him to play in next Saturday night's match at the Sydney Football Stadium.

``I'll be sweet,'' he said yesterday. ``I've been doing rehab everyday and it feels pretty good.

``I will be ready . . .hopefully Dessy (coach Des Hasler) picks me.''

The team will train today and tomorrow morning before being given the rest of the weekend off.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8