Help Me Out Here

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
What am I missing here, nrl carreer coaching win %

Ivan Cleary 48%
Trent Barrett 41%
Geoff Toovey 58%

So one of the above is the hottest, most sought after coach in the nrl.

Another is being tipped as a possible replacement at a top side, but his current team is trying to avoid the spoon.

The other cant get a start and doesnt' seem wanted anywhere.

Last edited:
What am I missing here, nrl carreer coaching win %

Ivan Cleary 48%
Trent Barrett 41%
Geoff Toovey 58%

So one of the above is the hottest, most sought after coach in the nrl.

Another is being tipped as a possible replacement at a top side, but his current team is try to avoid the spoon.

The other cant get a start and doesnt' seem wanted anywhere.
The first one consistently has taken over sides in building phases and has pretty much always left them better than when he found them and still almost has a 50% record.

The second one I’ll make no comment other than players seem to like him. Chez gave a glowing endorsement of him today.

The third took the most successful team of the modern era, failed to adapt or change the style to suit the changing league and roster and led them to miss the finals for the first time in 11 years (i think it was 11). He lost the confidence of certain players and left the team in a significantly worse place than when he found them

The first one consistently has taken over sides in building phases and has pretty much always left them better than when he found them and still almost has a 50% record.

The second one I’ll make no comment other than players seem to like him. Chez gave a glowing endorsement of him today.

The third took the most successful team of the modern era, failed to adapt or change the style to suit the changing league and roster and led them to miss the finals for the first time in 11 years (i think it was 11). He lost the confidence of certain players and left the team in a significantly worse place than when he found them
Toovs did the right thing and stuck loyal to our main contributors of the golden era. He knew he needed to make changes earlier to prevent missing the finals once they'd all start retiring. When that season came he decided to take it into his own hands to try fix the growing problem by allocating money away from re-signing Glenn Stewart, he was then put in the naught corner, thrown tantrums by players, crucified by the owners and forced to step back his influence as they ushered him out. The 2015 side is much worse than ours of current, how that forward pack managed to deal with any of the opposition's should be commended, and the toughness Toovey instilled in his sides were still shown in spades.

Toovs unfortunately got basically blackmailed by dce (didnt show to training for pay rise) and that set lots of the older players against him when he did infact try to take the out with the old in with the new mentality. The loyalty of our golden era was also the downfall of the golden era, not Toovs

Last edited by a moderator:

Third one is black listed because he wanted to sign Bryce Gibbs - a move which would end anyone's career...

Last edited:

Your no comment on the second coach says it all.

Mate while i love Geoff Toovey, He had at his disposal to only real answer any club has had to the Melbourne Big 4.

Stewart
Stewart
Watmough
Lyon.

His win percentage can be attributed to the fact he walked into a premiership winning team. His sacking can be attributed to the fact he lead that team down the ladder end eventually missed the finals for the first time in a decade.

Coach 1 is in high demand for one reason and one reason only!!

And it’s not his coaching ability!!
Bingo.
It's a little something that was born about 20 years ago.
I hope they keep this boy quite shielded from a lot of this because there'll be plenty of ill feeling towards the panthers, Ivan and Gus. And the talented kid is the pawn to make Gus the king.

What you could also include is the militant group of players led by whatmough who sabotaged our chances of success in 14 because the club had no money to retain gifty and our dithering halves who destroyed the 15 season and the crippling injury toll and Toovey was ditched because it's a results driven business . The blackest time in our recent history and the seeds of our current demise! !?

I am (on facebook) a follower of Dan Carlins History page ..... some very interesting and informative opinions and stories ...

... the next time opinions are sought on the subject of the victors writing the history, or how history can be re-interpreted by successive generations ..... I will submit the "2V" saga as an example ....

What you could also include is the militant group of players led by whatmough who sabotaged our chances of success in 14 because the club had no money to retain gifty and our dithering halves who destroyed the 15 season and the crippling injury toll and Toovey was ditched because it's a results driven business . The blackest time in our recent history and the seeds of our current demise! !?
I'm sure you'll find it was Tooveys decision to cut Stewart. It was the right decision IMO

Funny watching Toovey on fox league last night the topic was about cleary going back to the Panthers. After some discussion Tooves was asked " Would you go back to manly " He replied with " You can never say never but basically they would need to do alot of arse kissing. Live in hope i guess.

I'm sure you'll find it was Tooveys decision to cut Stewart. It was the right decision IMO

The blame is solely with Greenturd, who rejected a low value contract that Gifty was happy to accept .
2v was not in charge of the contract offer but he did want Gifty to stay :wait:

That's why Lodge's contract and Mini's nominal contracts are so hard to accept by any fair minded person :mad:

Could have all been avoided if there was a reduction to the contract price for one club players ... nearing the end of their careers

Last edited:
It was a no win position to be in. Either table an over valued offer to players to keep the team together and reward the past victories while suffering several seasons of poor results before truly rebuilding or cut the fat and look to the future but potentially fracture the team (which is what happened). In hindsight the biggest mistake was taking too much of a middle road to keep as many people happy as possible. But, given the conditions of the club the results weren't that bad.

Last edited:
Personally feel Tooves was a damn good coach in terms of passion and had a Massive expectation of his players, but I always felt Tooves magnifies the love for the club in spades himself and was willing to do everything in his power to see the side rise to the top and his frustration was often based on players not sharing his desire.
Not sure he was cutting edge tactically and in fact, the team seemed more about winning the physical side of the game and winning off the back of that.
I don't think Toovey got this almighty Premiership winning team as many suggest, as by the time Hasler left it was in a rabble and he basically helped keep a sinking ship afloat....yes there were star players, but the side was far from united and personally feel Toovey was a gutsy coach who bleeds Manly and deserves plenty of respect for that.

Cleary may not have Amazing stats but is a shrewd operator who understands what wins footy games in the modern game....considering the Tigers roster and the inside turmoil they have also endured in recent years....he has glued a few internal wounds and many players you would consider average NRL standard, have exceeded expectation with on field performances.
In fact not many High profile coaches would have got better results than Cleary over the same period so I don't feel the percentages do him justice.

I believe Barrett is a better coach than most give credit for....but he lacks that leadership quality that players are prepared to run over glass and through brick walls for him....and this shows when games are in the balance and the opposition more often than not shows more desire and gets the verdict, though the win over Sharks showed great resolve, though we still let in 32 points which will lose you games more often than not.
I see a fairly solid roster at Manly and in fact, such a squad should be in the 8....the sad part is the quality on paper appears to be there but the vital leadership element is missing....we have some handy players - in fact world class players....but leaders like we have had including BK, Tooves, B Stewart, Lyon were a luxury and this is not Barretts fault.
Look at Storm with Smith, Slater - Souths with Burgess - Illawarra with Graham - Sharks with Gallen, Lewis....the big teams don't just have Great players but Great leaders....this is a key factor of where we sit on the ladder in 2018.
In short I feel Barrett should have better results, but is not as bad as many suggest....he is a reasonable coach still learning his role.

I think the Toovey boat has sailed, whichever side of the fence you sit on. We can't go back there.

I'm one of those who thought Toovey gave great service no question and deserves his place in our history and it was sad what happened BUT his time was up as coach in my opinion. The writing was on the wall and he was losing his grip. But I understand others feel differently and always will.

Its not at the forefront of my mind anymore though. We've got too many current issues.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8