Has Joel Thompson lifted ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I wanted this bloke to resemble the BK influence when Manly first signed him....Massive shoes to fill, so did not expect THAT level of impact....but a stronger influence than he had.
Played decent footy, but did not have that influence on the players I was hoping.
His impact as a leader potentially, is arguably just as, if not more important than his impact as a player.
In 2019 when the chips have been down and the injuries/suspensions have been over the top, Thommo has been great with his input on the field, but also feel a resurgence in his tempo with his team mates...often screaming for more effort and the passion for the game has gone to a far higher level....lifting the performance of his mates...
THIS is the player I hoped we had originally signed....NOW he has arrived when needed most.
His defence on the edges has been rugged and he protects his half like the guard he should be, often having the opposition worried about running those courage lines into his awaiting shoulders....
Attack is full of energy and his chase shows his commitment levels are on point....but most importantly has become a true leader, just when we were looking for players to step up.
I was not concerned he would pack his bags to finish a solid career in England, right now his form, experience and positive attitude is winning over the fans and more importantly....his team mates.

He has been very good since about 6 weeks into last season

He busted his hand in round 1 and has continued to keep playing with it busted which we have needed with all the other concerns

Loved him from the minute he pulled on our jersey - aka the one his grandma supported.
Thought his effort was good last year but agree he has grown under Des.

about time .... and so he damn should .... he is being paid a motza .... if we had wanted an average performance we wouldn't be paying him $600k a year ..

TBs most bizarre “strategy” was his use of his second rowers. He seemed to want to keep them fresh, keeping them tied up on the edges and not getting their hands on the ball often. I don’t know why he did this as fit second rowers who put in hard working 80 minute performances allow our big forwards (our teams strength) to stay fresher and solidifies the ruck defence.

JT has benefitted enormously from the defensive structures we are currently using. He and Siro are in my eyes a big part of our success this season. It’s making life easier for our centres and therefore wingers as well.

I think he is a good mentor and leader, however under TB’s reign those traits were hampered by the ‘let’s all be best friends’ mentality. Joel seems much happier this year and it def shows on the field and presumably off field also

I thought he was good last year without being brilliant, whereas this year he has hit peak form. He looks fitter and faster. I also know that last year under Barrett, our edges were coached to jam in, whereas under Des, they are coached to hold for longer and move with the play. Obviously these defensive structures are helping and who knows, maybe Joel is more aggressive in D because he has more confidence to make decisions to commit as a defender.

I think maybe he has a little but honestly I think the major factor here is the fans.

A player like Josh, who is quality but not really a game breaker, can often get singled out when we are losing because he is paid too much and not winning games on his own but when the team is winning he is the glue that every team needs.

For mine their has been maybe a slight uptick but mainly Josh has been Josh

I'd like a 1 year extension before he cashes in and enjoys Europe with his family.

He's certainly more aggressive this year under Des. Don't forget he's playing for a new contract next year so he needs to perform to his personal best.

Can agree with the sentiment he's never been a flashing light star for us BUT he never ever was that kind of player. He's a tough, uncompromising, hard working 2nd rower who bleeds for his team every week. Does the hard stuff not the flashy stuff. I'd love to see players like him in the team every week, he's a very "Des" sort of player. Get a few of them in your team and your tough to beat every week. Adds real steel to our defence and runs a great line on the edge, usually as decoy but that's an important role.

Understand he may well leave to England but I'd love to see him run around again next year. Very very very tough player who never shirks anything. Gets into no trouble and a model professional. I'd like more of his type.

He’s getting closer to BK status each week (still a while away), but under Des he really has lifted. And don’t forget his off-field tireless charity work he does. I hope we keep him for another year.

Has Thommo lifted? Nah I don't think so.. I think those around him, are the ones who have lifted. He was doing some amazing stuff last year when the team was getting flogged.

I'd like to keep him for 1 more year if the finances allow. On and off field this bloke will be a loss no matter what.

He’s looking sharp and hungry for wins.

As a fan though I appreciate the extras, like his off-field influence and charity work. After the game it speaks volumes when the players take 5-10 minutes to do a lap to thank the fans a la Matt Ballin; after the recent win over the Bulldogs at Brooky, Joel headed towards starting a lap while the rest of the team finished shaking hands with the losing team and then were picked off for Foxtel interviews. Jake spotted Joel waiting and kept stepping to go with him but had to speak to the reporters. No one came to join Thompson and he kept looking apologetically at the crowd on the fence who cheered every time he looked over, but when it looked like he was left behind he gave in and went to the sheds. He’s the kind of player who seems to get what the fans are after.

The other guy at that game who impressed me with his passion was Sipley - he was on the bench for the last 5-10 minutes and spent the whole time on his feet intently watching every play and cheering on the team. He seems to be made of the right stuff and I hope he recovers to full fitness from this injury.

I thought he might have struggled to hold his spot this year , but has really gone up a level , With the competition from a few of the younger signings and most likely the Des factor , plus up for contract , He has been great and I think everyone around him is lifting with him

At first I thought JT was being questioned for not using weights in the gym.
His arms look like he lifts as far as I’ve noticed.. @;)
I definitely think Joel is getting the Manly experience he grew up dreaming of as an eager and passionate young fan of the Sea Eagles.
Playing under Des would certainly enrich your dreams of playing for Manly more than T-bagz rein.
Joel has certainly lifted in leadership and performance as well!
I would love to see Joel stay another season at least. The better we do this year the harder it will be for him to leave!!

Had his best game for us on the weekend and has been MUCH better this year than previously.
Has he got a sniff of winning a premiership medal with this side under Des and would love to be a premiership winner with Manly before he heads off for a European retirement/vacation?

He seems to be running with a lot more energy and purpose. He looks sharper and from what has been said - Des has not been shy in getting into him to lift and work on his game.

• 🤝
Reactions: R3
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8