1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greg Inglis cleared to play

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Jatz Crackers, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jatz Crackers

    Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

    +1,239 / 7
    Russell Gould

    August 27, 2009 02:00pm
    MELBOURNE Storm superstar Greg Inglis will play this Saturday after his indefinite ban was lifted by the club today.

    As predicted in today's Herald Sun, a meeting of board members agreed Inglis should be allowed to play again after court proceedings relating to charges of alleged assault were adjourned until October 14.

    The NRL has no objection to Inglis playing.

    Inglis missed the past two games for Storm after the club decided to suspend him from all activities on August 11 when he was charged by police following an incident involving his ex-girlfriend Sally Robinson.

    He was allowed to return to training last week after experts advised it was best for his mental health.

    In Sunshine Magistrates' Court yesterday Inglis's lawyer said the representative centre would plead not guilty to the charges and urged police to drop them.

    The club has supported Inglis throughout the ordeal and is expected to release a statement later today confirming the 22-year-old will be included in the team to play the Sydney Roosters this Saturday at Olympic Park, the Storm's last ever game at the venue.

    The court proceedings involving Inglis were adjourned yesterday until October 14, after the season finishes.

    The club has backed Inglis since he was charged by police 17 days ago. He has indicated he will plead not guilty and has vowed to vigorously fight the charges.

    Inglis's lawyer told court yesterday that the charges "must fail" and should be dropped.

    There were some reports Inglis was struggling to cope with the situation, which could have affected his emotional capacity to return to playing.

    But since his training ban was lifted last week, on the advice of experts who said the best thing for him was to resume his normal routine, his spirits have lifted significantly.

    Inglis desperately wants to play, according to those who have talked to him daily.

    League officials have been made aware of the circumstances surrounding the incident and have been more than happy with the club's handling of the situation.

    Manly fullback Brett Stewart, who was banned by the NRL earlier this season, has been given the green light to return to the field this weekend despite facing sexual assault charges, to which he has pleaded not guilty.

    The NRL doesn't want to compare the cases but the presumption of innocence, the key to allowing Stewart to play, also exists for Inglis.

    Sorry Dan, I tried to submit article but failed.
  2. Dan

    Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    +5,437 / 74
    no it didnt
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page