Green VS Hodko

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Green's had two assets essential to Manly's performances. The first was his kicking game. He had a rare ability to get 40/20s regularly, to place the ball deep in opposition territory on the last tackle and offer serious options on the fifth tackle near the opposition try line. His other asset was in making the right moves with his passing to outside backs. Consequently the three quarters and full back scored as a group more tries than any other side last year. You'll note this year most tries have been scored in the forwards, mainly because the backs havent been given good space to make their mark..

I think Hodko will offer some of these qualities as well as Green, one or two maybe not quite as good, some better. Hodko is an excellent organiser of play and that is a facet most needed for our backs to function effectively. But his advantage over Green is his defence. This was one reason the Manly backs and especially noted Kelly, were having trouble positioning themselves. Too much space was being afforded the opposition backline because Manly werent moving up as a line . Instead they were often moving back. Hopefully Hodko wil stop this and improve our defensive pattern, which has been ordinary this year. And of course Hodko is a recognised goal kicker, which will give us those extra vital points in a game and take some of the load off DCE.

In conclusion, a fit Hodko is as good if not better than Green. We just have to watch out for those knees.

This pic sums it up for me
mqxngk0_d.jpg

Before Hodgko steps out on Sat night, whats the Silvertails consensus??
Varied opinions are healthy so get it out there.
Personally feel a healthy Hodgko offers similar game management skills.
Green is a tad quicker - but for their role, not of super importance.
Hodgko a far stronger defender, particularly in tight....though Hodgko can get beaten outside more.
Kicking game similar, though Hodgko clearly better at goal kicking and a top shelf FG exponent.
Passing also about level and both go to the line which is good.
Vision again even between the 2 imo.
If this proves true - the big loss of Green is no more.
Pretty well summed up ole mate . Hodkinson for me .

I’ll wait to see Hodko in action, but till then...
I suspect his long kicking and maybe also goal kicking may be adversely affected by his well documented history of leg injuries. Also his speed.
Hopefully he makes up for that with skill and experience, and he has always been a solid front on defender. Could quickly become a leader in our young squad.

Hodko is stiff but can be creative and control a team on the field he has decent pedigree. His long kicking game sucks but he has one.

He is a better shot term option than croker and the best option we have.

I'm glad he is here because we desperately needed him but would have preferred Carney

Cherry tries his guts out game after game, and sometimes it pays off. But his biggest weakness as a player is that he can't effectively organise his team's attack. His best years have always been when he has had an organising type 5/8 alongside of him who can run the team and leave him to play his more natural what's in front of him style.

Kieran Foran was great in that respect. Blake Green was good. I expect Hodko (after a game or two at least, not expecting miracles this week) to be somewhere in between.

Skills wise I would say Hodko and Green are about the same, though I would wager that Hodko has a better kicking game and I believe he's a better defender.

The funny thing is that apart from Cherry in the juniors, there isn't any player here at Manly who was here when we had Hodko in 2010.

Hodkinson for me
I was never sold on green he put our defence under pressure to many times , yes he was a good kicker of the football but Hodkinson can do that as well experienced half to help DCE should put our season back on track

Great thread topic @maxta and interesting to read everyone's opinions.

For the record I think Hodko's better than Green in all aspects, except Green's skill of kicking 40/20's and gaining repeat sets probably outweighs Hodko.

If Hodko can keep up with the pace of the game for eighty minutes he will go good (has the skills) but I fear his history of suspect legs will become a defensive liability for the whole left hand side.
If this wasn't the case he would be starting at 6 and Walkz back to centre .
Realistically I ithink he is good for half a game, but really we needed to pick up the bubbler.

If Hodko can keep up with the pace of the game for eighty minutes he will go good (has the skills) but I fear his history of suspect legs will become a defensive liability for the whole left hand side.
If this wasn't the case he would be starting at 6 and Walkz back to centre .
Realistically I ithink he is good for half a game, but really we needed to pick up the bubbler.

He kept up the pace pretty well in his four games for Cronulla earlier this year. The main thing will really be forming combinations with his new team mates, learning the team plays and structures. Hit fitness should be ok, but the others could take a few weeks to really start to work.

He kept up the pace pretty well in his four games for Cronulla earlier this year. The main thing will really be forming combinations with his new team mates, learning the team plays and structures. Hit fitness should be ok, but the others could take a few weeks to really start to work.
I agree - he was surprisingly quick off the mark in the game I saw him playing for the Sharks recently. Lateral movement seemed OK too.

Remember he hasn't played a lot the past couple of years - it does help to regenerate the body, he may be a bit more physically capable than we expect.

Im on the fence on Hodkinson, I think he is well past his best but to play a role in this team and with DCE, Turbi, Walker and Jake to provide flair around him I think he can be ok

That said with the sudden hype around him on here I predict he could become a whipping boy quick snart

Anyone watching the warriors game? Green is such a good player if you chaps think hodko can do what greens doing i dont think you know trent hodkinson. You all underestimate green hes a very good player with 12 repeat sets already this year. trent will be ok as long as he gets us where we need to be on the field so dce and turbs can do there thing. He will improve but green is leaps and bounds ahead of him

I would be careful not to dismiss Hodkinson so readily. He was Rookie of the Year in 2010. He played in the only SOO series the Blues have won in recent years. He helped the Dogs to the grandfinal in 2014..He represented the Blues six times. Only injury has held him back. If he comes to Manly injury free, he's at least a match for Green, and that is not puting Green down.

What impresses me about Hodko is that he played and highly contributed in a very rare NSW winning SOO series the toughest and most competitive game of all in 2014 . Since then he has lost agility and speed but mentally he would be the sharpest tool in the shed in our team as far as game management goes . We also have a goal kicker that we didn't have in Green . IMO Green is no loss now that we have Hodko.
In conclusion..........
A one legged Hodko is as good if not better then Green on two legs .
View attachment 8391
Ok ok I'm a dork - I just HAD to watch those 2014 SOO highlights lol Man I had a tear in my eye watching the game 2 celebrations...just AWESOME!!! And Hodko's silky smooth goalkicking *swoons :p
He'll be good for us boys and girls! Go Manly

Ok ok I'm a dork - I just HAD to watch those 2014 SOO highlights lol Man I had a tear in my eye watching the game 2 celebrations...just AWESOME!!! And Hodko's silky smooth goalkicking *swoons :p
He'll be good for us boys and girls! Go Manly

No Timmy far from it. You are quite justified in being wary of Hodko's signing. The question is wll he be the player he was with Manly? Have the injuries knocked him to far about? One hopes that he will be even better as an organiser after so many years in the role. But its a big if. Explained why Manly have only signed him for 18 months. They are also wary and want to see if he still has the goods.

I was pretty dirty when he was poached so i am pretty happy to have him back. He and his old man are Manly supporters. I think that counts for something. Go Manly

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12