Grand Final 2023 - arrogant P's v flashy B's

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I think Reynolds is the de facto coach of that team, with Uncle Kev as the benign overseer. A bit like Big Mal in his various coaching gigs.
100%, Kevvie is big on SOO motivational speeches but as for game tactics and changing game plans, he's got nothing.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, the riff players made so many ‘extra efforts’ to win that game…

For example, Moses Leota running the decoy and then watching the play and taking off again to support Clearys break and ultimately score the try… 80% of props switch off once they are through the line I reckon…

And what about Scott Sorenson playing the ball, watching the play and being switched on enough to sprint back out of the line when he saw Cleary step back towards him…
if he stands and stares it is London-to-a-brick that a donkey player throws himself into Sorensons back and the try is disallowed for an obstruction…

This obviously has a lot to do with player’s attitudes and desire to stay in the game but credit must go to the coaching staff because the desire and effort is ingrained in the team 1-17 (hell, 1-57 probably…)

I realise that the riff missed some tackles that led to tries but generally they were beaten by speed (speed of the PTB in fleglers case) and deception (Tago’s effort on Walsh not his greatest moment tho)

I would love to see that kind of ability to not ‘switch off’ ingrained in our squad…

Penrith do every little 1 percenters ova and ova that our players don't do.
And they are extremely fit.

Manly have no hope without a complete attitude and training 180.

Can Seibs provide that environment?

No. Very early on, he showed no loyalty to the club that spawned him.

The funny part was he was off to Norths in ‘94 to play fullback, only for Matt Seers to push him into the centres.

At least he met his future wife, Josh Stewart’s sister. She has a jawline rivalling Ivan’s.*

*There might have been something Freudian going on there.

As a goal kicking fullback though, I can't blame him for leaving because we already had Matthew Ridge.

Funny thing is he went to Norths to be their goal kicking fullback ... only they then went and signed Jason Taylor so there went the goal kicking duties, and then Cleary got injured in the 1994 pre-season which saw Matt Seers emerge as their fullback and so coach Peter Louis played him at centre for 2 years. So what he signed to do, he never did at Norths. It took going to Easts under Gus Gould from 1996 for him to be a full time goal kicking fullback.

IIRC, it was mentioned about him playing centre at Manly while we had Ridge, but Cleary rejected the idea saying he wanted to play fullback. Then it turned out he would play 2 years at centre anyway.....

Last edited:
As a goal kicking fullback though, I can't blame him for leaving because we already had Matthew Ridge.

Funny thing is he went to Norths to be their goal kicking fullback ... only they then went and signed Jason Taylor so there went the goal kicking duties, and then Cleary got injured in the 1994 pre-season which saw Matt Seers emerge as their fullback and so coach Peter Louis played him at centre for 2 years. So what he signed to do, he never did at Norths. It took going to Easts under Gus Gould from 1996 for him to be a full time goal kicking fullback.

IIRC, it was mentioned about him playing centre at Manly while we had Ridge, but Cleary rejected the idea saying he wanted to play fullback. Then it turned out he would play 2 years at centre anyway.....
I know I am preaching to the converted here and it would have been great to have a crystal ball handy back in 1993. However as you mention the club wanted to retain him, he chose to leave.

Then if he hadn’t joined Norths, he might not have met his wife Rebecca and in turn no Nathan Cleary.

It’s a swings and roundabouts thing, or a sliding doors thing. Imagine if Ken Arthurson’s family hadn’t crossed the Harbour from Bondi when he was young? The subsequent fortunes of both Manly and Easts could have been very different.

Last edited:
Penrith do every little 1 percenters ova and ova that our players don't do.
And they are extremely fit.

Manly have no hope without a complete attitude and training 180.

Can Seibs provide that environment?
Manly have a talented team with match winners who can win games with their individual brilliance.

Where we are behind Penrith is a few major things.

Attention to detail! We do not do enough of the 101s like high completion rates, getting repeat sets. Making opponents start their sets either in the corner or close to their line.

The fitness that Penrith has is way ahead of us too. They finish matches really strongly and very rarely do you ever see them get run down.

The biggest difference is their resilience and calmness. They take setbacks in their stride, do not panic if they get behind and trust their processes to get back into a game. You really need a strong game manager and in Cleary they have that.

Penrith have so much faith in their game plan, its worked for 4 years now and they are clinical and methodical on how it gets done.

There is no reason why Manly cannot improve on the things I mentioned and its important that we do as like all of you, I am so done with being an also ran, year after year!!

Flegler seems to have gone to another level if his efforts in the G F is any indication .
Certainly would have been a good buy at that purported 675 k that Manly apparently offered him when he was on the market this season .
Would be worth a bit more then that on current form indications .
Dolphins have obviously gained a good acquisition there .
Farnworth has been playing some good footy as well and another more then handy Dolphins pick up .
Really need Lodge back A S A P and that extra bit of assertiveness that he can provide fit and firing
Paseka , Sipps and Bully should be able to provide that go forward and work rate really necessary to get to that next competitive level but what Lodge showed in his brief appearances this season , really essential or close to it and in addition to these to help the pack to match the big gun packs .

They are professional footballers I refuse to believe "getting fitter" is a thing. For what it is worth the panthers dominance by their big men mean they are under so much less pressure which leads to less fatigue etc

They are professional footballers I refuse to believe "getting fitter" is a thing. For what it is worth the panthers dominance by their big men mean they are under so much less pressure which leads to less fatigue etc
I'd say since about the mid 2000's the quality of athletes has stayed pretty static.

And yeah Penrith absolutely dominated the possession stats especially in that first half. The fact that the Broncos hit a 16 point lead even after that shows that they are vulnerable.

The Consistent, Persistent Performing 4 in a row Grand finalist Panthers teams have had the balance of Premiership winning power

That balance of Panther Premiership winning Power is
Power , Skill , Speed and Resilience to over come adversary and Prevail

The Manly Sea eagle Challenge is to Finally over come our failing excuses
and finally learn to find away to soar above and Triumph over
The Incredible and the Expendable Panthers
1696472152501.png

And that’s the year his one and only daughter was born (me), so that’s saying something
As you know you were the ONLY good thing that happened that year.
(typing this while you’re sitting a cpl metres away from me. Oh, yes it must
be the off-season.):rofl:

Awh, such a shame (not)! Well done Wigan.

And before all the whining about home town decisions starts up, as Bozo Fulton used to say, you just gotta make sure you play well enough to get a lead so what the referee decides, doesn't matter. And every Kangaroos and Aussie club visiting England before the 1990s never got an Aussie referee. Manly and Wigan in 1988 had a pommy referee and Manly never complained.

Last edited:
Yeah and we can only hope that Manly are part of it next year
Ive taken two supporter groups over , 2009 ( win) 2012 ( loss) both V the Rhinos.

Great atmosphere , unbelievable singing for the chants , and absolute champion supporters who made us feel so very welcome in Leeds during the week we where there.

If Manly get in again I’d urge anyone to give it a crack !!

Only downside , I’ve never been so ****ing cold in all my life ( but I do live in QLD).

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10