Golden point vs a draw

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
1 point each at full time, and the extra time is played for 1 more point

Fairer, but still entertaining

And should be golden try
Have to disagree with this. Under these rules a game would be worth 3 points with a regular game only worth 2. What makes this game worth more than a team that blows another off the park?

As someone else pointed out earlier, if you win the game you accumulate 2 points to your total, if you draw you accumulate 1. Why the need for GP during competition games? Finals, needing a result, are a different story.

I'd rather golden try than the field goal fest.
I heard an interesting argument against golden try on talkin sport this arvo.
Two teams locked at 12 all at full-time. Team A gets two penalty goals and bangs over a field goal during extra time. Team B scores a try with 30 seconds to go and wins the game but has scored less points.

no golden point for me,too hard on the players,in surfing they have a countback system and if drawn at the end they go back to the highest wave score and so forth,nrl could do a similar thing with most trys first then conversions then penalties etc,

I heard an interesting argument against golden try on talkin sport this arvo.
Two teams locked at 12 all at full-time. Team A gets two penalty goals and bangs over a field goal during extra time. Team B scores a try with 30 seconds to go and wins the game but has scored less points.

Knowing it's golden try not golden point, why would Team A opt to take the shots at penalty goal and field goal though? You know the kicks won't win you the match, so you take the tap every time, or run the ball/put up a bomb/kick into the in-goal instead of taking a shot at FG.

Unless you're Greg Inglis and you don't understand...

In the under 7s, playing for the Warringah Roos against the Manly Vikings, we won a tight grand final 3-0 with a solitary late try. We were later told that if we hadn't scored, under the rules the Vikings would have won because the ref gave them the first penalty! And my son's team won his soccer grand final with a late goal breaking the 0-0 deadlock. But if they hadn't scored the result would have gone to the team with the most corners!

Who thinks up these rules? Especially with the 7 tackles from the 20 metre restart, a flip of the coin is almost as logical as golden point.

Golden try could work without being a lottery. If the first tryscorer takes the lead with the try and conversion attempt, game over. Otherwise, play out extra time.

Knowing it's golden try not golden point, why would Team A opt to take the shots at penalty goal and field goal though? You know the kicks won't win you the match, so you take the tap every time, or run the ball/put up a bomb/kick into the in-goal instead of taking a shot at FG.

Because at the end of extra time, if no tries are scored, they would be in front and therefore win the game. I appreciate the above is an extreme example and whilst unlikely, still possible.

Because at the end of extra time, if no tries are scored, they would be in front and therefore win the game. I appreciate the above is an extreme example and whilst unlikely, still possible.

Yeah, i just couldn't see teams/captains taking those options, knowing that if the other team scores a try, game over and they win straight away.

FWIW, I'm not sold on golden try anyway (don't like golden point either, I'd prefer a draw in normal games) - but I couldn't see anyone in their right mind playing it to rack up points when a single try means game over anyway.

I'm a martial artist - in taekwondo fights we have an extra round if you're tied at the end, and then a sudden death round. Nobody ever tries to work their opponent round the ring in sudden death, your only aim is to get the winning strike in before the other fighter does. You can be the best at ducking and weaving and chasing them into corners, but one lucky hit and they win anyway - same concept.

no golden point for me,too hard on the players,in surfing they have a countback system and if drawn at the end they go back to the highest wave score and so forth,nrl could do a similar thing with most trys first then conversions then penalties etc,

Soccer used to do this with corner kicks .... seemed fair

Draw is a draw. If 2 sides are locked 12all with ten to go it usually turns into a field goal kick off anyway. Why do they need extra time for s similar type of finish. If teams score on the bell to lock it up - great finish to the game again.

For finals use the standard extra time concept 5mins each way. Still tied do it again. Eventually someone will win.

Golden point sucks and has done since the time Walker kicked us to that win over parra in the first game.

Have to disagree with this. Under these rules a game would be worth 3 points with a regular game only worth 2. What makes this game worth more than a team that blows another off the park?
One way around that would be make every game worth three points.

A win in regular time = 3 points
Draw in regular time = 1 point each, with the third point going to the winner of GP.
Of course, that doesn't work if there's a draw after GP.

OK, make every game worth 4 points.
Regular time win = 4 points
Draw after regular time = 1 point each
GP winner gets the remaining 2 points, for a total of 3.
Draw after GP sees both teams split the remaining 2 points for a total of 2 each.

Simple really.....

Draw in regular time = 1 point each, with the third point going to the winner of GP.

OK, make every game worth 4 points.
Regular time win = 4 points
Draw after regular time = 1 point each
GP winner gets the remaining 2 points, for a total of 3.
Draw after GP sees both teams split the remaining 2 points for a total of 2 each.

Simple really.....
You'll then have winning draws, losing draws and draw draws. Need a foolscap sheet to show the columns in the ladder.

My ideaology on this changes with the game.

In the NHL (ice hockey) if it's a draw at the end...1 point each, then the winner of extra time gets another point. There's no whining about potential 3 point games, etc. I like it and would hate to see it changed.

The nrl on the other hand....I don't really mind what they do. I'm always surprised how back kickers are at field goal attempts anyway!

I thought they changed it as people were all " a draw leaves everyone unhappy" but now some seem not to mind. I wouldn't mind which way it went in league.

Ok. You are right. I agree with everything you said. @;)

Lol...I'm a tame one, don't worry @:p

If we have to have some system to avoid a draw, I'd be happy with something like the tiebreakers used in netball, tennis etc - one score isn't enough, you have to be at least 2 points clear to win the tiebreak. Maybe make it a minimum 4 point margin for rugby league, so a try is enough to win it but a field goal or a single penalty goal isn't?

If a draw after GP then an extra 1/2 point each, fixed.
Don't like 1/2 points? then just double all the points allocations.

Personally have always thought GP a joke and a travesty of justice to one team.
Also have always thought it instructive that Footy Tab still considers a draw after 80 minutes as a draw for the result....

Last edited:
Scrap golden point and only use it during the final series when needed. It is a joke under the current system where teams can slog it out for an extra 10 minutes only to then draw the game anyway when points are still level. Otherwise next year if they insist on keeping golden point, go to a points system that awards 4 points for a win in regular time, 3 points for a win in extra time, 2 points for a draw after extra time and 1 point for a loss in extra time.

But the problem with golden try would be that defending teams would give away penalties rather than a try knowing that the opposition can't win with a field goal or penalty goal.

How about a system where golden try wins but if penalty goals or field goals are scored in extra time then the team with the most points at the end of extra time is the winner?

I think it should be golden try with each team playing with 9 players. At least we will see open footy instead of horrible field goal attempts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2