1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goalkicker?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by swoop, Mar 22, 2009.

1. swoop

swoop Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,201 / 16
    OK, We lost again but our biggest problem is the goal kicking. Maybe it's time to give Jamie Lyon a go. Orford hasn't got a long kick and his confidence is shot.

2. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    His kick was long enough on the one he nailed from the sideline, he just has direction problems at the mo, not striking them that cleanly at all

3. Biscuits

Biscuits Active Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    goalkicking didnt lose us that game. The factors that cost us were
    arogance over the last month
    wouldnt or couldnt stop the offload
    dumb footy (lestrange over the sideline on the second)
    a lack of understanding that we have to work with dual refs, not vice versa
    and a **** preperation that put more emphasis on the wcc than the first month of the comp

4. Flight

Flight Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    many parts make up the sum, but it too believe goal kicking could be an issue, I would have throught matai should be taking them, what do the stats say tho?

5. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    orford has too much on his shoulders

matai is a better goal kicker, he strikes it so much more sweetly than ox.
    Also Ox is kicking too much in general play, in the finals last year we were better when the kicks were being shared between orford and lyon.

We have more options this year with baliey.

6. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Now that I think about it, I read a column last season from Matthew Ridge talking about the Kiwis side, and he said Matai should have been kicking for the Kiwis because he looked a natural

Lyon would be the one that would hold the most confidence for me though

7. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    Matais strike is the nicest in our team and both him and lyon look a better kicker than orford.

I have no idea why we persist with Orford on the goal kicks, even kick offs, a few struggled to cross the 20m line. Give the job to someone else and let orford work on what he is good at.

8. Flight

Flight Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ok, consensus has it, DES, please change goalkicker to matai...

thanks in advance,

Flight

;D

9. Crusher_Cleal

Crusher_Cleal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +555 / 17
    the goalkicking situation wìth Ox is unaccetable in my opinion. how can you say it didn't lose us the game? They kicked 3 and we kicked 2. Lyon, or at least Matai must kick instead.

10. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    It wasnt our only problem, but Orford is not our best kicker, but he is the best option his legs may not be as tired as others

11. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Orford is not a sideline goal kicker. His little legs are just not good enough.  He's alright if he is near the posts but if they are near the sideline then someone else needs to step up to the plate.

12. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    the thing is tired legs make lazy kicks.

Still I think Lyon is a better kicker, though he doesnt look like he likes the responsibility. Matai would probably take it up but he is probably less consistent that Orford.

I wish Lyon would take over though

13. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,516 / 50
    I'll have a chat to him too Dan. There's a lot of guys in this team that I have to sort out.

14. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    True, orford consistenly falls short and hooks kicks but at least with matai he is as accurate as a back up kicker, give him the duties and he could well be an 80%+ kicker

15. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    True, orford consistenly falls short and hooks kicks but at least with matai he is as accurate as a back up kicker, give him the duties and he could well be an 80%+ kicker
    [/quote]

A player like  Matai could do without the extra pressure on his game and without the extra to think about with kicking!

Imagine how many brain explosions he would have with kicking and missed kicks on his mind

16. JEF

JEF Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +102 / 3
    Lyon has not been kicking for goal much since he injured his knee last year. Perhaps knee still a worry for him.