Garricks performance at centre

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Reuben Garrick's 6/6 goals and his try on Sunday took his first grade points tally to 978 (from 113 games). Obviously this leaves him just 22 points shy of scoring 1000 points for Manly in first grade.

Our other players to get to 1,000 first grade points for the club were:

Graham Eadie - 117 games (1977 vs Newtown @ Brookvale Oval)
Jamie Lyon - 164 games (2013 vs Cronulla @ SFS - Semi-Final)
Bob Batty - 172 games (1970 vs Wests @ Brookvale Oval)
Matthew Ridge - 113 games (1996 vs Roosters @ SFS)
Tells the story perfectly
Garrick is a footy player and a complete competitor
We will be talking about him for many years and not surprised that he will have a ( C) next to his name

Garrick is a Gun in the Centres
A breath of fresh air compared to the pedestrian centres from the past
The Harper / Parker centre partnership era and the era of our least dynamic centre paring is well and truly over and our coaching staff have acknowledged this by sending Harper to the Eels as a back up centre and Parker transitioned as a back up back rower
Reminds me of Simon Booth!.

Personally I'm not huge on Veaga as a first grader. I'd go Talau first but its not a hill I'm willing to die on
Yeah if I was picking a team to defend my life I'd push Reuben to the wing and play Talau or even Parker (slow but reads what's coming and never lets you down until he gets hit in the head) but if Garrick doesn't get the chance to make up for his mistakes then why is he trialling at centre, it's a bit of a sunk cost fallacy situation, and that's not anything to do with Parker, I love that he's getting a back row shot, he's already a better option than Waddell and that's not a sleight on Waddell, it's just that I've watched Parker for so long I know he has amazing defence and an ability to read the game.

Yeah if I was picking a team to defend my life I'd push Reuben to the wing and play Talau or even Parker (slow but reads what's coming and never lets you down until he gets hit in the head) but if Garrick doesn't get the chance to make up for his mistakes then why is he trialling at centre, it's a bit of a sunk cost fallacy situation, and that's not anything to do with Parker, I love that he's getting a back row shot, he's already a better option than Waddell and that's not a sleight on Waddell, it's just that I've watched Parker for so long I know he has amazing defence and an ability to read the game.
To clarify, I'd go Talau on the wing

Agreed, I think there is more up side for talau over vaega at this stage... also assuming talau would be on a fair bit more coin so better try & get our moneys worth! 😃

He did well on the weekend with the ball, when he first came to the club he would get rag dolled about on his kick returns, he has improved that part of his game where he gets into good position at the point of impact.

No doubt he could improve his defence and passing game like he has done with his running game.

In saying that for me I think he is best suited on the left wing when the team is at full strength, I would have Ben T at right centre and Schuster on the left edge, Paulo to miss out.

After watching the game again i think Garrick was great at center. The field was smaller than usual hence his reluctance to pass the ball as much. He had a slip up with the kennar try but apart from that he was solid! Compared to harper and parker this guy has speed guile and great game awareness. The way he steps around kennar and then burns him was so good. Garricks a footballer he proved this last 2 years filling in for turbo at fullback. Im certain he will absolutely kill it outside of chez and become a great center. Koula & Garrick thats one fast center pairing and both strong runners!

Guess have to take into account that Garrick played [ or most likely ] all of his junior and lower grade and rep footy as a centre so should be not that much of a transition or adjustment , even at a very high level .
Noted speed and acceleration can only be a big plus for the side , defence seems good enough though of course positional or reading opposition attacking plays understandably a bit more of a learning curve yet .
And Turbo roaming around from the back and putting real pressure on any opposition defences to help create plenty of opportunities for him and Koula .
All very positive stuff .

He would be happy that Dom Young Soup is playing on opposite side of the field this week.
Maybe, but I‘m not so sure, I think, I’d rather try and contain Young than have Suaalii trying to smash my front door down, tough job either way you look at it.

Against the Roosters he made a few good tackles, a few missed tackles, and a few bad passes. No notable runs in attack. Showed good speed to catch Young but alas couldn’t make the tackle to save the try.

Got scorched on the outside after falling for the decoy runner resulting in the Roosters 1st try.

Garrick has work to do in defence especially reading the play and sliding. Not his best performance yesterday but he’ll get better.

Garrick has work to do in defence especially reading the play and sliding. Not his best performance yesterday but he’ll get better.
Yep, I reckon Seibs and co will be working over time on getting this right. It's so important against these good teams. We have to get it right if we're going to compete deep into the season.

Thought Garricks front on defense was really good, especially on Suiivalli. The Roosters backs are huge, we did really well defensively on these guys.

Another crap game in defence from Garrick.
Does he not understand that you slide in defence, not go in.

Add a couple of stupid penalties.

Garrick can have those sort of games playing on the wing too,so I’d prefer him there and learning than any of the other options.Talau looked ok last week on the wing and he has the same issues in defence.And this season there seems to be a premium on speed players and unfortunately Parker is not an option

Our left-side defence has been a huge problem for years. And our centres and wingers, whoever they have been, have always copped the blame. But in that time, the only constant on that side of the field has been DCE.

DCE is an excellent one-on-one defender, but I swear his reads in defence are awful. The main issue is that he always seems to hesitate, which throws everyone else off. A number of times today you can see him move up with the line, stop, point left to indicate his inside man (Haumole) should take that player (which Haumole does), but then he follows Hamoule in, leaving the centre and winger to account for the three or four players left over.

The only way to fix it is for the whole left side - DCE, Haumole, Garrick and Paulo - to work better together.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8