Four Sydney clubs enough: Cullen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
BRISBANE boss Bruno Cullen says four NRL clubs in Sydney would be "close to the right number" as the competition's chief executives prepare to meet on Tuesday.

Sydney's nine clubs will be hell-bent on finding ways to replace revenue threatened by the New South Wales government's poker machine tax when the NRL hosts a pow-wow on the code's future.

Cullen agrees finance is the game's most pressing issue but is also concerned about the game's expansion nationally to boost television and sponsorship dollars.

"I agree that there probably are too many teams in Sydney but that's a bit cheeky for me to be suggesting how they go about rationalising that," Bruno said.

"Someone suggested to me yesterday that there could be as low as four teams in Sydney, a northern, a southern, a western and an eastern, and that's probably getting close to the right number.

"But if I say something like that, people say 'it must be easy for you' and 'how dare you even suggest that'."

With the league unlikely to consider increasing the number of clubs from the current 16, any expansion would need to involve relocation, mergers or clubs going under.

The NRL has $8 million on the table for a side prepared to move to the NSW Central Coast and recently hinted that another team in Queensland was desirable.

"There's got to be rationalisation so relocation or amalgamation of teams is the only way to go," Cullen said.

"I'm also a firm believer in a truly national code. If you're going to try and get maximum revenue from the game, and I'm talking both here from television and from what I'd call game national sponsors, then you need a team in every capital city.

"That means we need something in Perth and Adelaide as well."

Rugby league has been to Western Australia and South Australia before with the ARL's Western Reds, who defected to Super league soon after their admission in 1995, and Super League's Adelaide Rams.

"Now people might laugh at that and say it's been tried before and it failed," Cullen said.

"It didn't really fail, it was part of the Super League war and that's how it finished up, it had to be rationalised."

Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart warned last weekend that the Sharks could be one Sydney club under threat if crowds did not improve.

Sharks boss Tony Zappia said a better TV deal could help alleviate the pressure of reduced leagues club funding due to the pokies tax.

"I think from the Sydney clubs' point of view (the priority's) just identifying new revenue streams," he said.

"There's a bit of certainty but there's also a little bit of uncertainty, with the poker machine tax and the smoking laws that have come in, in the long-term effects. At the moment those effects have been short term.

"Obviously from a longer-term point of view is just ensuring that the NRL works hard in ensuring the next TV rights package is the right package that will help to underpin all the NRL clubs."

Cullen said the meeting should be about action.

"I think it's time for decision-making," he said.

"I'd just like a powerful message to go from the meeting tomorrow to the decision-makers on how we feel about a number of things concerning the game and looking to ensure the future of the game right across the board."

I agree with Cullen.  Manly would be the 'Northern' team.  Penrith the Western, Dragons the Southern and the Rorters the Eastern.  Souths to the Central coast, Sharks to Adelaide, Tigers to Perth and Parra and the Dogs to the dump.   

DSM5 link said:
I agree with Cullen.  Manly would be the 'Northern' team.  Penrith the Western, Dragons the Southern and the Rorters the Eastern.  Souths to the Central coast, Sharks to Adelaide, Tigers to Perth and Parra and the Dogs to the dump.   

Agreed, but if they are to truely make it a national comp then what about the Northern Territory & Tasmania? Darwin Dogs? Tassie Eels?

All i can say is it is a good time for manly to start being near the top of the comp with a strong financial backing.

Sharks either merge with the Dragons or relocate. Souths relocate or be dumped. And a merger between either Parra and the Panthers or Parra and the Dogs (leaning towards the Dogs, which would make a powerhouse team). But that's only if changes need to be made, don't need to go making any rash decisions.

Why are they trying to get rid of Sydney sides when the Premiers who play in Melbourne, the sports capital of Australia, with the free kick of the media down there are still losing 5 million a year?

Central Coast should have a team - yes - but suggest other clubs should be forced down is a joke. If clubs die, fine but let attrition and history take its course rather than loading a gun.

How dare a team 20 years old this year suggest that teams around since 1908, 1932 or even 1967 etc take on this view. It doesn't affect their costs or rorting!!!

While I think we could easily dump two clubs (say Souths & Cronulla) I would think that reducing the comp to 4 Sydney teams would actually decrease revenue over the short to medium term.

5/6 sydney teams would be a good kind of number i suppose?

Canberra, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Nth QLD, Melbourne and a possible Central Coast team

Manly, Souths, Easts/Sydney, Wests (well there's the '4' right there i guess) and the rest...I"m sure the league would want another western sydney team as the AFL is looking there etc

Hmm, just looking at it, Wheel sounds right - losing a lot more money than making it

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4