forwards leg strength and size

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mac

Yes we made some silly mistakes in the first half, but it seemed our forwards do not have the same leg strength and size as a lot of the other teams which is why we rarely bent the line or even made it over the advantage line. Watching a few games yesterday and guys like Jeff Lima, Papali, Tamaloumo, Frank Paul-Nuasala, Tamou ect…all have really strong legs and keep pumping them at the point of impact. I guess the whole argument how heavy someone is doesn't really matter whether a prop/second rower is 105kgs or 125kgs it is about the leg drive and ability to keep going when 3-4 guys are on your back and pulling you to the ground.

I look at our side and Lussick/Green/Brown/Myles/Jake are not really in that mould. At least Lawrence and Starling tend to keep the pump going after initial contact….Jake does get the meters but they seem to be more running meters with the ball under the arm before the line...

I agree with some other thoughts that we need a big prop and big second rower with these attributes…not saying we need the best and most expensive, but it is time to start looking for next year as we are lacking in this area.

Rumour has it Barrett has them on a detox/ leg slimming program .

Last edited:
  • 😆
Reactions: Rex
I don't think there is anything wrong with our strength and conditioning. The issue was the drop ball down our own end and the amount of defending we were required to do. You need an even share of the ball against a big pack like the Dogs or they'll get into a rhythm and pound you into submission.

If there is one player in the competition that can carry defenders and keep the legs pumping, it's Martin Taupau, but even big Marty was contained because he had to make 41 tackles.

I don't think there is anything wrong with our strength and conditioning. The issue was the drop ball down our own end and the amount of defending we were required to do. You need an even share of the ball against a big pack like the Dogs or they'll get into a rhythm and pound you into submission.

If there is one player in the competition that can carry defenders and keep the legs pumping, it's Martin Taupau, but even big Marty was contained because he had to make 41 tackles.
41 tackles as a lock us just par for the course

Our blokes just seemed to always end up on their back in the tackle whereas the Bulldogs players almost always ended up on their belly resulting in the quick play the ball. Is there an issue with technique with the initial contact in the tackle?

Yes Tapau has no leg strength. Never mind he almost broke the world record for the 500m row on the c2 which is all leg strength or can deadlift like 500 kegs. Weak piece of crap...

Tapau and Lussick are in that mould for me. Maybe BJ as well. We just have to wait for the forward pack to mould together as well.

As Snake said, because Taupau had to make 41 tackles....he was probably too knackered to run hard like he can.

Yes Tapau has no leg strength. Never mind he almost broke the world record for the 500m row on the c2 which is all leg strength or can deadlift like 500 kegs. Weak piece of crap...

You guys are hilarious. It is like putting a machine gun in the hands of a chimpanzee, just firing off rounds in all directions. FFS, did he even mention Tapau? He mentioned others, but not Tapau.

You guys are hilarious. It is like putting a machine gun in the hands of a chimpanzee, just firing off rounds in all directions. FFS, did he even mention Tapau? He mentioned others, but not Tapau.
Not everyone in the pack is someone who can squat 1,000 and be able to drive through 6 tacklers.

The one guy who can was out - Mateo. He has the best leg drive in our greater pack WITH an ability to stand and offload.

Although I though Vave had some moments standings in the tackle, turning and passing. Leg drive isn't all about pushing on for an extra metre or two. A crucial part is being able to avoid going to ground and popping good quality offloads

Are you two related ?
giphy.gif

I noticed that Leary was one of the few to drive through the tackle and actually make a couple of metres beyond the advantage line. It was late in the 2nd half so maybe the dogs were tiring a bit.

I agree that leg drive is important and an area we can improve as a pack, and Starling is also good at this.

I've heard Trent Robinson make reference to stats of metres after contact. A lot of coaches do feel this stat is important.

That was before he came to manly@:D

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4