Flags and Banners

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wolfpack said:
Jono said:
The Push It Up Manly banner came from a little chant that one of our mates on the hill started. A couple of his mates had the sign made up for him and the rest is history.

It's an in-joke, more or less.

This. The chant is an in-joke that doesn't explain the banner. Bozo asked where the banner came from, it came from that. Pretty simple. Where did the saying come from? I will find you clips and images etc. that show you old people where it comes from and why George "Pushes it Up" when he passes the sign every game.

Jethro said:
Wolfpack said:
Jono said:
The Push It Up Manly banner came from a little chant that one of our mates on the hill started. A couple of his mates had the sign made up for him and the rest is history.

So, it's an "IN"-joke is it?

So does anyone outside of the "IN" crowd, know the meaning of the "Push It Up" banner or is everybody else, who is not part of the "IN" crowd (but who likes the banner), just a Lemming amongst a group of other Lemmings, all marching in a conga line of acceptance of the banner just "because" and for no other reason?

I thought that just by being a Manly supporter that we were all equals but obviously not as some are "IN"-crowd and some are not and the "IN" crowd don't like to share information. It all sounds like the "True Supporter" crap rearing it's ugly head again to me.

Because you are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's got nothing to do with "the in crowd". However, not everyone is going to "get" it. As I said in the above post, I will explain this when I get home from work.

Jethro said:
Wolfpack said:
Jono said:

So, it's an "IN"-joke is it?

So does anyone outside of the "IN" crowd, know the meaning of the "Push It Up" banner or is everybody else, who is not part of the "IN" crowd (but who likes the banner), just a Lemming amongst a group of other Lemmings, all marching in a conga line of acceptance of the banner just "because" and for no other reason?

I thought that just by being a Manly supporter that we were all equals but obviously not as some are "IN"-crowd and some are not and the "IN" crowd don't like to share information. It all sounds like the "True Supporter" crap rearing it's ugly head again to me.

Are you serious? A group of friends aren't allowed to have an in joke amongst themselves now? I don't know what the sign means but I in no way feel 'left out' because I haven't been filled in. It's no different to the 'in jokes' that the originals of this forum carry on with. It's just a bit of fun. I also fail to see how the true supporter crap comes into it.

All you have to do is yell PUSH IT UPPPPPPPPP when you see the banner and you're good! That's what I do and everyone just yells back PUSH IT UPPPPPPPP :)

Push it up! What does it really mean or is that restricted to a select few.

I was asked by a mate what it meant, I told him I had no idea, he replied perhaps only true supporters must know it.

Can anyone really say what a true supporter is?

I don't like the term true supporter Earnie. I prefer Hardcore supporter. Of which i am not.

If you have to ask questions, you won't understand anyway.
To the OP nice banner.

My sign, OH YEAH, means very little as well. The emphasis is in saying it like Kramer from Seinfeld, OHHH YEAHHH!!! And for me, it is a catchy little saying.
PUSH IT UP MANLY, is a catchy little ditty that hopefully means nothing, but could mean everything to those whom wish to interpret it. PUSH IT UP MANLY is like a work of art that only the artist will know the 'true supporter ;^)' meaning. The rest of us plebs just have to wish we were as brilliant as the creator...

Jono said:
Because you are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's got nothing to do with "the in crowd". However, not everyone is going to "get" it. As I said in the above post, I will explain this when I get home from work.

No, I'm not, nor do I mean to be making a mountain out of a molehill. I just want to know it's meaning. As Earnie has also said in a previous post in this thread, I have had people ask me what it meant too (i.e. push what up and where?) and I had to reply that I had no idea so all that I wanted was an answer to the question if I was ever asked again. Nobody else who has commented seems to know or wants to let on and it looks like you are the only one that is going to tell me and the rest of the uninformed and I thank you for that. It will be very much appreciated by at least me to finally find out.

I'm going to stop reading this thread... I don't want to know the meaning; it will be like finding out there is no Santa.

Earnie the Eagle said:
Push it up! What does it really mean or is that restricted to a select few.

I was asked by a mate what it meant, I told him I had no idea, he replied perhaps only true supporters must know it.

Can anyone really say what a true supporter is?

I really hate the words "true supporter"....I think someone (not me I assure you) used that term when the old MWSE forum closed down and where they used to "pay to post", as opposed to it being free here, as in "you are only a true supporter if you are a member and pay to post"...or something along that lines.

I hate that, yes I am a member (and a proud one) but just because Bill Bloggs from Beacon Hill isn't doesn't mean that I am true and he's not.

I'd really like to see the terminology put to sleep...forever.

As to Push it Up..I have no idea what it means, but I love how enthusiastic the "Push it Up" crew are and to me that's all that matters

I feel bad for the guy who started this thread. It's turned to **** now. Maybe everyone needs to enjoy their cup of warm milk and biscuits and resume the argument when Sesame Street is finished. Grow up.

Jethro said:
Jono said:

No, I'm not, nor do I mean to be making a mountain out of a molehill. I just want to know it's meaning. As Earnie has also said in a previous post in this thread, I have had people ask me what it meant too (i.e. push what up and where?) and I had to reply that I had no idea so all that I wanted was an answer to the question if I was ever asked again. Nobody else who has commented seems to know or wants to let on and it looks like you are the only one that is going to tell me and the rest of the uninformed and I thank you for that. It will be very much appreciated by at least me to finally find out.

The reason is because it's hard to explain and, when you try to, people go "I don't get it" so we gave up trying.

I'll explain it one last time: where it came from originally for me was in clubs over the past 10 years. When people raised their arms above their heads, palms flat, facing the air and did a "standing push up" that was called "pushing it up". It might be called something else as I can't find many photos of it. However, singers from that style of music or DJ's would call this out at bars/clubs and people would know what to do. See photo below:
Pushing-it-up.jpg

It started as a piss take of this (as a lot of us don't like that kind of music) and moved on to something bigger. Thus, the sign, and everyone talking about it, wanting to know what it means. A lot of the players didn't understand at first. George knew straight away, thus why he does it after every game. We love you George btw. It's now an icon of the club, and that's it.

If you still don't understand, then you never will and there is no point asking again. A lot of chants, banners and other comments made at footy games around the world don't have much meaning to them, but people gravitate to them. It doesn't have to mean anything. Do I need to bring up "I'm forever Blowing Bubbles"? What the hell does that have to do with Football? However, everyone knows when they hear that, they are singing West Ham's song. You can't explain why, that's just the way it is.

So now you know, and it will probably ruin the feeling for it, but it will still remain an icon of the club.

I don't get it...

I also dont know why you were forced to explain it. Dude made a banner and gets treated like a terrorist.

Jono said:
The reason is because it's hard to explain and, when you try to, people go "I don't get it" so we gave up trying.

I'll explain it one last time: where it came from originally for me was in clubs over the past 10 years. When people raised their arms above their heads, palms flat, facing the air and did a "standing push up" that was called "pushing it up". It might be called something else as I can't find many photos of it. However, singers from that style of music or DJ's would call this out at bars/clubs and people would know what to do. See photo below:
Pushing-it-up.jpg

It started as a piss take of this (as a lot of us don't like that kind of music) and moved on to something bigger. Thus, the sign, and everyone talking about it, wanting to know what it means. A lot of the players didn't understand at first. George knew straight away, thus why he does it after every game. We love you George btw. It's now an icon of the club, and that's it.

If you still don't understand, then you never will and there is no point asking again. A lot of chants, banners and other comments made at footy games around the world don't have much meaning to them, but people gravitate to them. It doesn't have to mean anything. Do I need to bring up "I'm forever Blowing Bubbles"? What the hell does that have to do with Football? However, everyone knows when they hear that, they are singing West Ham's song. You can't explain why, that's just the way it is.

So now you know, and it will probably ruin the feeling for it, but it will still remain an icon of the club.

Thank-you for the explanation Jono. At least now I know what the background meaning of the banner is all about. I can't really say that I understand the relevance of it to football but at least now I can give some form of answer to anybody else who asks me what it means and I suppose that those players who didn't know what it was all about were informed by George and now understand.

And Napper, pull your head in. Nobody was treating anybody like a terrorist.

captainskin said:
I'm going to stop reading this thread... I don't want to know the meaning; it will be like finding out there is no Santa.

What do you mean there is no Santa!!

Napper said:
I don't get it...

I also dont know why you were forced to explain it. Dude made a banner and gets treated like a terrorist.

I only wanted to know what it meant, I like your posts napper but sometimes your like the bird on the biscuit tin, you not in it.

I've been "Pushing It Up" for a few years now, and never knew the meaning.....until now. Didn't really care either, but that's just me. Thanx Jono.

"My Garden Shed" is a chant that I heard at an away game a few years ago and when my wife and I decieded to make a banner it was a no-brainer. It's just a great chant that get's everyones blood pumping and leads to the whole group making more noise......which is the whole idea.

The best part about it is when you see the players at a function clapping, stomping their feet and singing it as well.......it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside................

Jono said:
Jethro said:
Jono said:

Pushing-it-up.jpg

Well there you go Jono how often have I gone to footy with you guys and consider jakie a mate but never knew that. I always thought push it up was urging the boys in defense to push it up in the line. How wrong was I lol.

Cambo said:
Jono said:
Jethro said:
Jono said:

Pushing-it-up.jpg

Well there you go Jono how often have I gone to footy with you guys and consider jakie a mate but never knew that. I always thought push it up was urging the boys in defense to push it up in the line. How wrong was I lol.

Weird so did I

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9