Fainu Bros sign with Tigers.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Hertera

Reserve Grader

Sport Confidential: Samuela Fainu’s hotel run-in with Queensland players​

Young forward Samuela Fainu was involved in a heated altercation with Queensland players just hours after last week’s State of Origin under-19s game, the incident playing a part in the Dolphins’ decision to withdraw their offer to the Manly back rower.

Fainu, who captained the Blues under-19s, is understood to have exchanged words with members of the Queensland camp in the early hours of Friday morning as he looked to settle the score over comments made during the Origin game. There were also claims he made his way to the Maroons hotel to find the player responsible.

It is understood he was told the Queensland player at the centre of the claims had left camp and was sent on his way. The news has come to light a day after Fainu and his brother Latu — another member of the NSW under-19 side — inked big-money deals with the Wests Tigers for next season.

Manly were unaware of the incident when contacted by Sport Confidential on Wednesday and it is believed they contacted the NSWRL to seek some clarity.

However, it is understood the incident played a part in the Dolphins’ shock decision to withdraw their offer to the Fainu brothers late last week, having initially tabled a deal after talks between the Fainu family and Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett.

Fainu’s agent Mario Tartak said Samuela had been subject to ugly abuse about his brother Manase — currently in jail over a stabbing incident — during the game.

“It’s almost at the bullying stage with the comments about his brother and his family,” Tartak said.

“Unfortunately it is part of his life now. He’s a young bloke and he is copping it.”

Fainu was involved in a heated exchange with Queensland forward Ben Te Kura during the game after the Maroons player had put a shot on his brother Latu. Te Kura is regarded as one of the rising stars at the Brisbane Broncos.

Samuela Fainu and his brother Latu were at the centre of a bidding war between the Dolphins and the Tigers, having been given permission to explore the market by the Sea Eagles.

The pair made their decision on Wednesday as they signed concurrent deals with the Tigers believed to be worth as much as $4 million.

Tigers officials were convinced that the Dolphins remained in the hunt to sign the brothers up until this week.

Their talent is without question but Samuela in particular has found his share of trouble on the field this season.

Earlier this year, Manly forward Josh Aloiai intervened after Fainu and Tigers half Brandon Wakeham had been involved in a slanging match when the sides met.

Wakeham alleged that Samuela had spat at him during the game, although he was later cleared by the NRL.

No wonder the Dolphins pulled the pin.

XV-1

First Grader
To be fair we should do the swap and get Talau in early and let the lads go early.

Overall, I'm dissapointed, I'm confident the two lads will be fantastic first graders, but nothing is certain. From reports we would have been paying the two 800k next year and I can understand that is too higher risk for the club.

The Tigers now a mil, perhaps a risk worth taking in their position.

I wish them no ill will and hope they both kick on. If they do we will all be here bemoaning it in 5 years but as it stand I think I have to stick with the club in this one

Agree. They can give us Talau now and the young fullback for the rest of the year, since the Messiah Weekes has not worked out.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Sport Confidential: Samuela Fainu’s hotel run-in with Queensland players​

Disturbing on several levels. No shock really that some players could try to goad the young Fainus with comments about Manase, it's a poor reflection on those who do it though.
But it's also concerning that Samuela is alleged to have gone to confront someone "in the early hours" at the opposition team hotel. How easily could that have turned into something that ended up with his $2m deal ripped up?
I really hope Manly are offering some sort of support or counselling to the young Fainus and that Wests do as soon as they're over there. An unfair amount of pressure on them but their budding careers could unravel quickly if they are not careful.

XV-1

First Grader
Disturbing on several levels. No shock really that some players could try to goad the young Fainus with comments about Manase, it's a poor reflection on those who do it though.
But it's also concerning that Samuela is alleged to have gone to confront someone "in the early hours" at the opposition team hotel. How easily could that have turned into something that ended up with his $2m deal ripped up?
I really hope Manly are offering some sort of support or counselling to the young Fainus and that Wests do as soon as they're over there. An unfair amount of pressure on them but their budding careers could unravel quickly if they are not careful.

Not our problem anymore.

Drop the boys over to Scott or Kristy's place and have them look after them.

We have wasted enough time, energy and effort on the Fainus.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
lol

If Bennett thought the boys were half as good as many on here do, looking to have a few words with some queenslanders would never in a million years sway wayne to not sign them.

there's a whole thread about d-heads in sport and this is not even a blip on the radar.

Talk about spin. lol

The Who

Journey Man
If, as reports suggest, Samuela was seeking singular redress from an opponent for slandering his family's name then I have no problem with it.
Aren't we told to call out bullies?
Settling scores man-to-man, one-on-one is a tried and true method. Or would people rather let the bully get away with it?

XV-1

First Grader
I said it in the other thread, it seems this family is more trouble than they are worth.

Manly have realised this and gave them permission to negotiate elsewhere. If they were worth the hype the Roosters or Storm would have made a play for them but it seems the Tigers were the only team interested who are desperate.

That says a lot.

Not necessarily

Roosters and Storm manage their salary cap more than several months in advance.
They no doubt did not have room to buy another two players for 2024.
It was no room in salary cap the reason why the Roosters let Lodge go.

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: lsz

The Indian

Bencher
If, as reports suggest, Samuela was seeking singular redress from an opponent for slandering his family's name then I have no problem with it.
Aren't we told to call out bullies?
Settling scores man-to-man, one-on-one is a tried and true method. Or would people rather let the bully get away with it?
Yep I agree - let's be honest part of being a footy player especially a forward is being a bully or standing up to bullys. Our previous successful teams have had plenty of prickly characters.

This may or may not make him a perfect citizen but many footballers have this mentality and we sure could use some more in our team. I for one am sorry we let these two go...but we'll see.

The Who

Journey Man
I said it in the other thread, it seems this family is more trouble than they are worth.

Manly have realised this and gave them permission to negotiate elsewhere. If they were worth the hype the Roosters or Storm would have made a play for them but it seems the Tigers were the only team interested who are desperate.

That says a lot.
Who originally negotiated the contracts for the four Fainu brothers with Manly? Was it Scott Fulton? Then, I understand the contracts for at least Latu and Samuela were upgraded. Again, was this Fulton's doing? At the time Manly management and administration, in general, must have been happy with the amounts being committed.
Now the spin is that the brothers were being paid too much. What changed? Samuela had graduated to the NRL and was captain of the NSW Blues Under 19, and Latu was good enough to be the 5/8 in that team. It seems to me that they were tracking well to provide good value in future seasons.
This 'spin' doesn't ring true to me, especially as its reported the Tugers are paying them, on average, $500,000 each for the next four years. They obviously think the Bros are something special.
Or is Scott Fulton misguided?

47MVEagle

Bencher
He’s going to have to grow thicker skin if he wants a career in the NRL.

While I don’t agree with what may have been said, sledging has always been a big part of Aussie sport & it will continue as long as he keeps reacting to it.

tookey

First Grader
The funniest part is the tigers thought they were still bidding against the dolphins when the dolphins had actually pulled their offer Too funny

Next time I sell a property I will give the tigers a call so they can bid up the price against themselves

As I was told recently the tigers have a real divide amongst the players with a Balmain side and a Campbelltown side

No guessing which side the Fainu's will be on

The Indian

Bencher
Who originally negotiated the contracts for the four Fainu brothers with Manly? Was it Scott Fulton? Then, I understand the contracts for at least Latu and Samuela were upgraded. Again, was this Fulton's doing? At the time Manly management and administration, in general, must have been happy with the amounts being committed.
Now the spin is that the brothers were being paid too much. What changed? Samuela had graduated to the NRL and was captain of the NSW Blues Under 19, and Latu was good enough to be the 5/8 in that team. It seems to me that they were tracking well to provide good value in future seasons.
This 'spin' doesn't ring true to me, especially as its reported the Tugers are paying them, on average, $500,000 each for the next four years. They obviously think the Bros are something special.
Or is Scott Fulton misguided?
Just my opinion but I reckon Seibold has worked out he won't be here ( or anywhere) by the time Latu Fainu ( possibly ) makes first grade so he's figured a bird in the hand ( Brooks ) is worth two Fainus in the bush and it's a survival call.

Brooks definitely gives us a better chance at success in the short term cause whatever he is, he's ready to go right now. Long term you'd have to say it's an extremely questionable move to put it mildly. Especially given we're already a few years into Project Fainu and have already paid for the privilege for 2 or 3 years...... but anyway. Let's see.

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
I really hope Manly are offering some sort of support or counselling to the young Fainus and that Wests do as soon as they're over there. An unfair amount of pressure on them…
It it an unfair amount of pressure? Has the counselling and support to this point (which reportedly has been extensive) had any effect?

Manase jumped a fence late at night with a broken arm and a blade to settle a score (that was not even his) and now younger brother, with the knowledge of how that impacted his brother’s life, is rocking up to the Maroons hotel in the wee hours to settle a score over some mean words on the field…

Sometimes all the good intentions and support in the world have little to no impact because of cultural and peer influences on self-identity and pride…

I don’t know these kids but I grew up around guys that did similar dumb sh*t because you were considered weak if you let sh*t go… I can almost guarantee you that if you are hearing about sh*t like this then there are plenty of other clashes and anti-social BS that you are not hearing about…

Manly tried, we failed and they are the WT concerns now…

frank stokes

The funniest part is the tigers thought they were still bidding against the dolphins when the dolphins had actually pulled their offer Too funny

Next time I sell a property I will give the tigers a call so they can bid up the price against themselves

As I was told recently the tigers have a real divide amongst the players with a Balmain side and a Campbelltown side

No guessing which side the Fainu's will be on
Do you reckon Fulton did not know?

frank stokes

Tartek no doubt knew but they may not have told Fulton so as to keep the dollars rolling in from the tigers
Fulton has been these kids golden ticket the whole way through… the timing of the signing is interesting - within 4 days (max) of the confrontation and maybe 3 days after Dolphins pulled the pin… coincidence? Maybe…

Hertera

Reserve Grader

Slander? if they made reference to the stabbing it is not slander it's true. May not be fair but not slander.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
They are Terry,they have focused on the local juniors highlighting their matches against others(the U16 etc...)
There is a good crop coming through next year in the Matthews.
I think they appointed Orford to be the coach/overseer of it all
I know there have been moves afoot. My post was more of a crack at goings-on over the last decade. We were promised about eight years ago, during the last and ultimately ill-fated Bozo family intervention, that there would be a concentration on supporting and promoting players from our own junior league.

Apparently that did not pan out.

Eagle 1

First Grader
Think we've done our share of support for the Fainu's over the years SER, their now in the Tigpie's court now, ...bye.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
12 9 3 83 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
13 7 6 133 16
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16