Enjoy beating slimes Eels but ....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
That defence needs improvement
Massive improvement
The edge defence of Saab and Garrick is up with the worst wide defensive duo in the comp
I mean Cleary and Walsh will run riot over there and put 50+ points on.
Not trying to be negative as there were a few positives to fight back and dominate the 2nd half, but if we are looking to compete gotta patch up that defence in a big way

Massive improvement
The edge defence of Saab and Garrick is up with the worst wide defensive duo in the comp
Not trying to be negative as there were a few positives to fight back and dominate the 2nd half, but if we are looking to compete gotta patch up that defence in a big way
It’s been a problem for a long time.Which begs the question,why hasn’t the defence improved?

We are definitely traveling well so far and although it's not perfect, we are still winning games at the moment.

My concern is defense, we have played 8 games so far this year and 6 out of those 8 games we have conceded a minimum 18 points. Hearing a lot in our pre and post match pressers about our 'weapons' in attack but seems like we are leaking points. There's been a few games this year we have gotten out to quick leads and have ended up seeing those leads dwindle away. Again, pretty happy with results so far but definitely something I think could hurt us down the track against teams like Penrith (full strength), Broncos and Storm.

To be fair, only Melbourne and Penrith have been strong in defence for the majority of their matches. It seems that attack is taking precedence over defence this season, and to win a match you need to score more points than the opposition. The six-agains do play a part in making extra hard for defences and certain refs are whistle-happy.
But, yes, it would be more comforting to we fans if we could stop leaking so many points.

So, what do we need to grow and build our defence?
A few things, which is the issue that can hopefully be adjusted by seasons end
Often even after winning contact in defence, the opposition attacker seems to win the quick play the ball which is the BIGGEST problem regardless of where tries are being scored.
Defensively on both edges communication seems jumbled with wingers often rushing in and taking no one
Garrick and Koula often defend to the side, rather than square, which gives the attacking player a hole and even when contact is made it's almost like a cover tackle where the attacker pokes their nose through winning momentum- a break - or position to offload.
So really we have some great tacklers in the middle, but need to win the ground war more so the defensive line is set, as this imo is where it sets a poor defensive line which is contagious sending a jagged retreating defensive line all the way to both edges, who already are not the best defensive backs individually as tacklers imho

how about saab (wing) Koula centre
then on other side Garrick (wing) Paulo/talau centre.

I think its important we have Saab, koula, Garrick in the backs as they are fast.
Paulo and Talau should be playing centres.
I much prefer koula play on the wing but where does that leave Garrick?

So, what do we need to grow and build our defence?
Trust. I don’t see it with Garrick and Saab. Saabs still running in, not trusting Garrick. Garrick is getting caught clutching at air. And the other sides not much better. Koula got done doing the 10 metre stuck in mud dance and got no one, leaving the bomb disposer with a 2 on 1 coming at him. Trust and communication between these players will go along way to shoring up both edges.

how about saab (wing) Koula centre
then on other side Garrick (wing) Paulo/talau centre.

I think its important we have Saab, koula, Garrick in the backs as they are fast.
Paulo and Talau should be playing centres.
I much prefer koula play on the wing but where does that leave Garrick?
Blacktown! Terrible D tonight. Kicking was great though.

Massive improvement
I couldn't agree more mate, I have been saying this for weeks to my mate and we both agree, it has to get heaps better

Honestly for the NFL fans out there we are in danger of becoming a team in the style of the greatest show on turf (without the premiership) if we do not sort out the defence

Defence needs major improvement especially on Garrick and Saabs side. These 2 should be spending some time in training along with DCE mirroring those shapes to get better. I have more confidence in Koula and Talau's side to make the tackle.

Quite true that Manly is far from a finished product, but how many of us tipped that after 8 Rounds we’d only have only 2 losses?

This is more impressive because of which sides we’ve been up against.

Plus - in every game Manly has played so far the opposition has been ‘up’ for the fight.

Souths, Roosters, Panthers Warriors and Eels at Commbank were all huge games. Dragons were coming off 2 floggings and they were totally fired up against Manly, ditto the Titans, pretty much playing for their season, as were the Eels yesterday.

A far better start than I’d dared to expect (and I’m usually very optimistic about Manly winning!)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10