Post-Game Discussion Eels v Manly [Round 3, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Eels
Vs
Sea Eagles
28 CommBank Stadium
24 Mar 2024 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Reffing was awful. That said from the start I thought our middles didn’t really get on top - but Parra were given help there as well. The Koula no try was as bad as you will see. But what was worse was the blatant attempts by the ref to drag Parra back into it in the first half. Up 14-0 and them stuck in the corner after 3 tackles, I reckon all of us said, “here comes a penalty to Parra” and from there it was one after the other. We got no 50/50s
It's not just us at that ground, virtually every team that plays there cops the same bullsh*t calls, those filthy squeels get a leg up every time they play there, not to mention that in the first ten rounds those ars*holes have 6 home games and a bye, could the league possibly do more to help them out ffs

I agree.

But I think the period in the second half when they had 91% possession was the reason why we were too gassed to stop the offloads.

Without that period, I reckon we would have been a lot more effective in the middle. The defence out wide is still a worry though.
This is a great point. We were clearly fatigued and I think that’s why the coach and captain were pretty calm in the presser. Given how fatigued we were, it should have been a flogging but we kept fighting and stayed in the contest. We just need to be better controlling possession. No penalties and drop balls if you wanna win against quality opposition.

I agree with your assertion that the edge defence is not good enough. Although I will say, at least the opposition is having to go wide to score. Watch Flanagan’s try against the Cowboys and it’ll make you feel better about our defence.

When we play Parra we need to learn to shut down the second phase play, they know we are susceptible to an offload and they did it at will today, as they did last year against us. The 15 mins before half time Paulo, Matterson and Cartwright seemed to get a pass away on every hit up. Junior's offload for the Moses try was quality. I was sitting literally right above it and said to my son, he's running at Burbo...He targeted Burbo all game and unfortunately Ben was no match.

We generate no second phase play, imagine how dangerous we'd be with our speed if someone could pop a pass. Jake in his early days would offload. I remember his very first hit up in first grade against the Panthers and he got a great ball away. As he doesn't bend the line he should be trying to hit and spin, but seems to be just trying to drop to knees for quick play the ball.

Jackson Paulo was the only one today that I think offloaded and it went to ground.

When we play Parra we need to learn to shut down the second phase play, they know we are susceptible to an offload and they did it at will today, as they did last year against us. The 15 mins before half time Paulo, Matterson and Cartwright seemed to get a pass away on every hit up. Junior's offload for the Moses try was quality. I was sitting literally right above it and said to my son, he's running at Burbo...He targeted Burbo all game and unfortunately Ben was no match.

We generate no second phase play, imagine how dangerous we'd be with our speed if someone could pop a pass. Jake in his early days would offload. I remember his very first hit up in first grade against the Panthers and he got a great ball away. As he doesn't bend the line he should be trying to hit and spin, but seems to be just trying to drop to knees for quick play the ball.

Jackson Paulo was the only one today that I think offloaded and it went to ground.
Our second phase play has dissapeared since Jake stopped offloading and afb and api/manase left. Actually thought that exploiting the ruck was one of Our strengths through that period under Barrett

It’s super hard to stop teams that can offload and the Eels have got their style that works for them. Brown and Moses are excellent (I hate saying that) at playing eyes up footy against a broken line, which is what you get with second phase play.

I agree it would be nice if we could generate some and I know Jake was a good exponent but I fear that if we manufacture the tactic, it will lead to errors, I.e if you’re not a natural off-loader of the ball but decide to start actively looking for it, you could have trouble on your hands.

Our second phase play has dissapeared since Jake stopped offloading and afb and api/manase left. Actually thought that exploiting the ruck was one of Our strengths through that period under Barrett
Sip’s use to pop a few, I think Des may have put an end to that aspect of his game, maybe Jake as well. It would be super handy if we could generated some 2nd phase play, we are a bit one dimensional at the moment building our attack of sweeping plays.

One thing I have to give kudos to today was the amount of Manly fans at the ground. I drove and parked my car at my company's Parramatta office. While navigating the scum infested streets and dodging the two headed locals there was a large amount of normal people in Maroon and White.

For a fan base that doesn't travel (allegedly) there was a good and vocal turnout.

Well done to all the made the journey.

Look… we did not get the rub of the green but we were at Bankwest and cannot expect to..
Long story short, we made enough errors to give Parra a chance and they were good enough to take their opportunities… they exploited our players that are new to their positions and there is no point complaining about the refs…
We are showing the beginnings of a very good football side and hopefully we take our learnings and stick to our current trajectory… we have a real chance this year if players and coach have enough humility to realise their shortfalls and make the necessary adjustments…
Why shouldn't we expect to? And I don't mean by the moronic bogan slime supporters, just by the officials on the field, that's all that should be expected for any team playing in the the nrl, regardless of the venue.

Our forwards were disappointing today.

And our game management should have been better.

The refereeing was poor, but we HAVE to overcome that if we truly want to be premiership contenders.

Still, there is plenty to like about the first three matches we've played so far.

There's a hardness to us that was largely missing last year.

And just quietly, how good is it to have Brooks wearing our jersey.

Go Manly.

Bulldog Ritchie, though you know what plays will do now, they will follow the Morretti lead.. strange one is the Bunker, every one knows the guy there has no common sense!!
Ritchie got all his manly 'news' from zorba, as his daughter was married to a fulton and was mostly propaganda for the Penns, who he was once tight with. Since all the fultons are gone now he lets scum journo Ritchie slams us, big surprise. Ritchie is a total loser and the connection to Zorba and manly (now gone) was the bulk of his publishing. This worm will turn on us and produce more anti manly shyte in the next few years while he is still somewhat relevant, he's got no new source to get garbage stories from. Be glad to see this scum loser Richie gone.

If Schu ever gets back to first grade, that is what he will bring to the team.

I think the shorter turnaround had an impact. We had a tough game seven days earlier, whereas the Faecalmatta outfit had a 9-10 day turnaround.

LOLOLOL. you cannot be serious.

7 day turnaround is too short?

Roosters slammed Rabbit's with a 5 day turnaround.

If Schu ever gets back to first grade, that is what he will bring to the team.
Going forward, I think Burbo will need to improve his running game (currently averaging 55 metres) to retain his starting spot, esp. if Josh shows form in NSW Cup/from the bench. Whether Josh can reproduce his 2021 running game (average 87 metres) is an unknown.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8