[Resurrected] Eagle tempted to fly nest

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Eagle tempted to fly nest
RUGBY LEAGUE
18 NOV 11 @ 04:49PM BY PETER PETERS

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/eagle-tempted-to-fly-nest/

Darcy Lussick is in hot demand from rival NRL clubs. Photo: Braden Fastier.
NOT even Des Hasler’s premiership ring can soften the heartache of missing out on a grand-final spot last month for Manly’s tearaway young prop Darcy Lussick.

Lussick is being hounded by up to eight clubs in the NRL and his old-school manager Wayne Beavis hasn’t been this busy since he managed another former Manly junior by the name of Steve Menzies.

Lussick played seven games off the bench in the 2011 campaign and shot into the headlines with a fiery display in the controversial round-25 game against Melbourne at Brookvale Oval when teammate Glenn Stewart was sent off along with Storm Kiwi firebrand Adam Blair.

Re-signing the Beacon Hill Bears junior now represents a massive hurdle for coach Geoff Toovey.

Lussick has said nothing but is privately fuming over missing a grand-final spot in the 17-man squad.

He was taken aside by former coach Des Hasler during the captain’s run just over 24 hours before the grand final and informed he had missed out in favour of cult hero George Rose.

Hasler put his arms on the broad shoulders of the youngster who was clearly shaken.

After talking for several minutes, Lussick made his way to the team dugout for a few moments alone.

Lussick was Glenn Stewart’s training buddy for five weeks prior to the grand final as the pair were put through a spartan training program to prepare them for the biggest game of the year without the benefit of match fitness.

The pair were regularly left fatigued and vomiting at the team’s Narrabeen training headquarters.

Hasler isn’t much of a gambler when it comes to his players.

In the end, he was willing to go with the experienced Stewart without match fitness, but wasn’t prepared to go with two players in his 17 who hadn’t played for more than a month.

In the dressing room after the grand final, Hasler sought out Lussick and gave him the premiership ring off his finger.

It was a noble gesture but I don’t know if it will eventually be enough to keep the giant 23-year-old at Brookvale beyond the end of next season.

It will be a tragedy if he goes. Homegrown players such as Lussick are simply 10-carat diamonds.

FALSE SHARK ALARM

SOME of the off-season stories being written about the Sea Eagles’ premiership stars are simply not true.

Such as the one last weekend which had kamikaze centre Steve Matai dining out at the Cronulla Sharks Leagues Club.

I was with Matai briefly on Tuesday night, shortly after he returned home from a family holiday in Byron Bay.

“I have had a wonderful relaxing holiday - I haven’t been anywhere near Cronulla,” he said.

“I go there once a year - on the Manly team bus to Shark Park.”

EAGLES RISK JET LAG

IT is a tough call for everyone involved but I wouldn’t be playing an extra game in England next February before the World Club Challenge game around February 17 against the Super League champions, the Leeds Rhinos.

Two fierce games in the north in an English winter before a rushed trip home for a few days rest before heading to Auckland for a first-round clash against grand final opponents the Warriors is a suicide mission - even for a tough and professional side such as the Sea Eagles.

Remember the disaster of 2009?

And at the start of the last season premiers St George Illawarra returned home to fall in against eventual wooden spooners Gold Coast before being beaten by neighbours Cronulla. The Dragons then lost seven of their last games as a very fatigued side late in the season.

There is no easy way around the problem facing Geoff Toovey and the decision makers at Manly over the World Club Challenge. Fortunately, Toovey has Steve Gigg, the most experienced footy manager in the NRL, to bounce ideas off.

And Giggy’s views will be like gold for the coach.

The pair worked closely together back in 1996 as captain and manager of Bob Fulton’s premiership team.

Gigg carefully planned the 2009 World Club Challenge campaign and knows the folly of spending any more time than necessary in an English winter - particularly as four key members of the team are there right now!

Well, I can't see him going to Canterbury if he's pissed off with Hasler.

"Some of the off-season stories being written about the Sea Eagles’ premiership stars are simply not true".........your kidding, does this mean some of the stuff reported in the media is bull****???? Hard to believe really!

Lets hope that Darcy wants to show the last Coach that he can win Premiership Rings,and does not need charity :idea:

2Victory !

So he's pissed off at dollar$ for not playing him in the gf yet dollars has now left the club and he still wants to leave why ?????? Seriously that doesn't make sense is zorba trying to drop hints for a contract upgrade or that maybe parra,s sniffing around or dollar$ himself is up to no good AGAIN !

why would you be pissed off at the club when its the coaches decision who plays?also to be fair to hasler i know from personal experience how hard that decision is because you' re going to break someones heart ,you know it,andyou have to live with it ,seeing the disappointment on ablokes face when you tell him is shattering for you too.hopefully darcy gets over it,because ithink he is a priority signing if for no other reason but the position his right hand goes to as he's about to throw his first punch at that melbourne clown who elbowed him at brookie last year,so youknow he can throw em the sort of no nonsense bloke every team needs.
cheers mike

Ok fair enough he is banged up about Dessie cutting him from the GF team, but Dessie is now gone.

Surely we're not now blaming the Manly board for the 17 Dessie picked on GF day?

Totally understand Darcy being upset, but seems his best chance to play in a GF would be with the 2012 premiers Manly and not going to one of the other NRL teams. Manly are bookies favourites to win the 2012 GF.

We still have a top crew of props but they are all a year older in 2012. Darcy would be a regular starter in the Manly 17 every week.

I really don't want this kid to go, he is going to be a beast of a player and hope manly can keep him, but I have a feeling clubs will offer him overs because they know he will be worth it.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Eagle tempted to fly nest
RUGBY LEAGUE
18 NOV 11 @ 04:49PM BY PETER PETERS

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/eagle-tempted-to-fly-nest/

EAGLES RISK JET LAG

IT is a tough call for everyone involved but I wouldn’t be playing an extra game in England next February before the World Club Challenge game around February 17 against the Super League champions, the Leeds Rhinos.

Two fierce games in the north in an English winter before a rushed trip home for a few days rest before heading to Auckland for a first-round clash against grand final opponents the Warriors is a suicide mission - even for a tough and professional side such as the Sea Eagles.

Remember the disaster of 2009?

And at the start of the last season premiers St George Illawarra returned home to fall in against eventual wooden spooners Gold Coast before being beaten by neighbours Cronulla. The Dragons then lost seven of their last games as a very fatigued side late in the season.

There is no easy way around the problem facing Geoff Toovey and the decision makers at Manly over the World Club Challenge. Fortunately, Toovey has Steve Gigg, the most experienced footy manager in the NRL, to bounce ideas off.

And Giggy’s views will be like gold for the coach.

The pair worked closely together back in 1996 as captain and manager of Bob Fulton’s premiership team.

Gigg carefully planned the 2009 World Club Challenge campaign and knows the folly of spending any more time than necessary in an English winter - particularly as four key members of the team are there right now!

Hardly a scoop. Someone else made that point in the newspaper yesterday.

If Darcy hadn't got sent off and he has no one to blame but himself for that, he probably could have played the Grand Final. He should be pissed with himself.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
If Darcy hadn't got sent off and he has no one to blame but himself for that, he probably could have played the Grand Final. He should be pissed with himself.

EXACTLY!
I know it's popular on here at the moment to blame everything on Des, but HE got himself suspended and hadn't played for 5 weeks. It would have been to big of an ask to get somebody with 7 games first grade experience to play in a grand final under those conditions.

Oh great! Thanks Zorba we really needed to hear that.

How hard would it have been for you not to include this in your article at this particular time?

Manly fans have put up with nothing but disaster after disaster since the GF and we wanted to hear was some good news but no the negativity still keeps coming.

FFS someone should grab hold of you, throw a cow skin over you, put you in the paddock and have a bull f##k some sense in to you.

You should have known how the fans feel. Well I am sick and tired of been treated as just a dollar sign or a bum on a seat, I have been a loyal supporter for over 50 years and WE DESERVE BETTER!!!!

We should have been kept up to date via this site of everything that has gone on since the GF but no we were just mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed on bull****.

This will probably get me kicked of here, but some one had to say it.

So he is pissed off that Des didn't give him a spot even though he has left? WTF? Zorba **** off, and learn how to use twitter you dinosaur, maybe you will find out a few things about the players.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8