Different coach at Manly next season?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Easy to kick Barrett while his down but not my way .... crap performances including today’s embarrassing effort, but not on his own.
Hasler got great results- but his legacy f**cked the joint for years to follow
Will always stick solid with this team as supporters, but don’t let today’s disappointment justify how Des left the joint....all in it for himself.

7 years on....how long do we keep blaming Hasler for our issues in 2018 ?

IF des did root the club, then we have had 7 years to turn it around.
How is that working out for us ?
The Buldogs are currently dealing with Des' mess.
We should be well over it.

Haven't posted in a while. We're obvoiusly in a very poor state as a club & as fans we'd just like some hope that things will get better. I honestly can't see a light at the end of this long dark tunnel.

Our current administration & senior management have a lot to answer for. If it wasn't a documented fact that the Penns are successful businessmen, one could be forgiven for thinking they are simply incompetent. Witnessing the complete mess they'd made of the club over the past 8 years, something had to give. Either they came up with a solution or they cashed in & walked away. Unfortunately it seems like actual results on the field aren't that important & there may be a bigger agenda for them.

Contrary to what some people think, football clubs can't be run like a business. A business is all about the bottom line. To survive you need to be as efficient as posible & make a profit. Clubs are about people & tradition. They're about fairness & working together to not just achieve short term success but also keep the club strong for the future. In 2003-5 we developed a culture that sustained us for the next 10 years. Since then though, that culture has been eroded & we find ourselves at another low point in our 71 year history.

So how do we get out of it? Leadership. Although, I'm not sure if the Penns have the will or even stomach for it anymore. They seem to keep making the wrong call too often. They brought Bozo in to run the club for them but his nepotism caused too many dramas & he had to go. I think that probably stems from the early days when they let Des run the club. Des obviously had success but his ego got out of control & that's what ultimately led to the events of late 2011. If they'd been able to manage Des better, I'm sure things would have been very different.

As for the change of coach, I can't see Barrett turning it around. He's passionate about football but IMO not emotionally ready to be a head coach yet. He'd be better as an assistant coach, where he can be close to the players without needing to make those hard decisions. I think our best option for next year would be Maguire. He'll get back the discipline & fitness we're lacking.
Great post.

Des left the joint....all in it for himself.

As opposed to which other coach?
Bennett?
Bellamy?
etc

Bullsh!t.

The coach has a job to do and Des did it the only way Manly can win a shield. Pay later.

Nobody complained while we were THE winning team for a decade.

It will take someone like Toovey AND backended contracts for us to win it again. Both pieces, not one of them. We can't attract the extra millions the future winners can.

Des left badly but he had done his job and we didn't lock him down for future years.
Our fault.

We will not win another premiership under the current cap/TPA structure. Never.

I think i'm over it and i'm gutted.

Do we even have a wrestling coach any more? Jiu jitsu? It seems our opposition can always play the ball so much faster that we can, and as everyone knows, the ruck is everything in modern NRL. That seems to be the area we got smashed yesterday, at least, one of the areas. When you are going backwards all other areas of defence suddenly become much harder too.

As opposed to which other coach?
Bennett?
Bellamy?
etc

Bullsh!t.

The coach has a job to do and Des did it the only way Manly can win a shield. Pay later.

Nobody complained while we were THE winning team for a decade.

It will take someone like Toovey AND backended contracts for us to win it again. Both pieces, not one of them. We can't attract the extra millions the future winners can.

Des left badly but he had done his job and we didn't lock him down for future years.
Our fault.

We will not win another premiership under the current cap/TPA structure. Never.

I think i'm over it and i'm gutted.
They didn’t leave their club up Sh** creek with back ended deals and sneak out the back door.
Des got some great results, but shat on the club that made him.
Don’t let the emotions of these current pathetic results cloud the facts....Hasler won’t be back at Manly.

7 years on....how long do we keep blaming Hasler for our issues in 2018 ?

IF des did root the club, then we have had 7 years to turn it around.
How is that working out for us ?
The Buldogs are currently dealing with Des' mess.
We should be well over it.
Why do you think we had to scrounge for large third party deals to attract players. Because in the early years of what we’re currently being punished for is right in the middle of all the backended crap he left behind. He gave a playing group the belief that they were bigger than the club who then acted like children when they didn’t get their way. And we ended up having to pay overs for DCE because his little bitch Foran bolted. It all has a trickle on effect and we’re still feeling it

The part that really cuts deep with me ,is we dont hear anything from Penn and anyone else from the club about whats happening. We have to rely on tidbits from media outlets to know whats going on and happening. It never used to be like that. The club seems to be dying a slow death, I hope I am wrong

The easiest defence for Barrett supporters is to look at our off field problems, lack of depth and injuries which is a bit overblown as our top money players DCE , Turbots, Kapow and Thompson played virtually every game. Walker was a big loss.On the surface these excuses may seem to have some sort of validity.

But the real issue is not that we are losing and at the lower end of the table. That happens.The defining thing for assessing a coach after THREE YEARS is looking at how we are losing.Losing in a tough clash but being outclassed is perfectly acceptable.

Regardless of who takes the field a well coached team can perform the basics and be competitive. Fans are not stupid. They will accept that with a developing team.The tigers are a perfect example. They will not make the 8 but their fans are happy because they see effort and a plan.

Simple things like

Attitude in defence ( see the tigers )

Structure and method in defence , particularly on your own line ( non existent and method varies every week)

Set attacking plays in the opposition quarter ( non existent ) Lane is our top try scorer !

No technique for Control of the ruck in defence and speed of play the ball in attack. Attitude bad in this area ( see yesterday !!)

Game plan and kicking tactics that are suited to the team you are playing

Off field discipline and accountability ( Gladstone fiasco)

Perform these basic disciplines and even a depleted team can be competitive even if they are mot chalking up wins.

I see a group of players , some very talented , some not, that are just hoping their talent may click on a given day , with no plan or structure in place to accomodate adversity. Our wins revolve around individual brilliance , our losses ugly.Heads go down, the reality of knowing their is no ingrained plan or structure to rely on becomes a reality and the rot sets in.

2017 wasn’t a great deal different despite the table finish We clicked more often off the back of ad lib play and actually had a second kicking option but when the blow torch was applied as the season wore on we folded badly for the very same reasons. 2016 was a write off .

This is why Trent must go. Not our position on the table.

On another note ABC radio commented on the fact that only 8 golden eagles turned up and Andrew Moore said his information from a Manly guy suggested it was due to a large number of ex players not wanting anything to do with the currrnt admin of club.
Not sure if that’s true but 8 attendees seems mighty light.Anyone know if that’s correct ?

Last edited:
Why do you think we had to scrounge for large third party deals to attract players. Because in the early years of what we’re currently being punished for is right in the middle of all the backended crap he left behind. He gave a playing group the belief that they were bigger than the club who then acted like children when they didn’t get their way. And we ended up having to pay overs for DCE because his little bitch Foran bolted. It all has a trickle on effect and we’re still feeling it

Fair points.
Couldn't Des then say that he did what he did due to what he inherited and that trickle down effect from the previous tenure.

Personally I think 7 years is plenty long enough to dig yourself out of whatever hole we were in.
Otherwise the excuses can be used in perpetuity.

Do we even have a wrestling coach any more? Jiu jitsu? It seems our opposition can always play the ball so much faster that we can, and as everyone knows, the ruck is everything in modern NRL. That seems to be the area we got smashed yesterday, at least, one of the areas. When you are going backwards all other areas of defence suddenly become much harder too.
I think our technique is Bikram Yoga. Our 54-0 win was on a hot humid day. Pity there is no plan B for cold days.
NYEagle

I call bull****.
Those backended contracts keep the core group of the 2008 squad together from 2007-2014. If it hadn’t of been for the board room
Incompetence and infighting that saw us lose Des eventually and that cheating prick hayne. We would have won another 2 premierships with that squad.

It wasn’t des’ fault the way Glenn Stewart’s contract saga was delt with if they really wanted to keep him they could of left 3 or 4 of the plonkers go we had.

It wasn’t Des’ Fault that these flogs decided to shaft toovey and the rest of the support staff many who had been there since Des rebuilt the club (Singe, penna and gigg) and replace them
With a clueless rookie coach, a washed up muppet from Penrith via
The titans and an imposter mascrading as a strength and conditioning coach.

It wasn’t des’ fault that this rocket scientists shafted Snake, Matai and local junior Gutherson.

Des is not the cause of the predicament we are in now that falls squarely on
Penn
Peters
Fulton
Barrett
Cartwright
Ferris

But I tell you what he is the only real
Solution to rebuild the joint. Interesting enough when I said the same thing on twitter last night Phil Gould agreed.

Last edited:
So Hadley just glosses over our result yesterday only saying we have problems.
Unbelievable.
If it was parramatta he'd rip in.
Trent is a f*cking koala...

Make of it what you will, but Michael Maguire was at the game yesterday watching from one of the boxes. Not sure in what capacity he was there (maybe as Kiwi coach) but he was definitely there.

Make of it what you will, but Michael Maguire was at the game yesterday watching from one of the boxes. Not sure in what capacity he was there (maybe as Kiwi coach) but he was definitely there.
When Madge applied for the Kiwi position it was understood that preference would be given to applicants that did not have full-time NRL coaching aspirations. 2 applicants were excused right off the bat because they held aspirations for NRL coaching, I think Tooves was one of them.

Nothing on you jimmy and thanks for the info, but I highly doubt Madge will take up an NRL coaching position.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8