Did you know??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Did you know???

Manly's top try scorers in 2018 are Shaun Lane and Tom Trbojevic who crossed for 9 each. The last time Manly didn't have a try scorer in double figures was 1992 when Craig Hancock also scored 9 tries. Our top try scorer in 2017 was Akuila Uate with 14.

Lane is the first forward to top Manly's try scoring list for a season since Beaver scored 13 in 1999. Coincidentally, 1999 was also a joint effort at the top with Albert Torrens also scoring 13. Turbo topping the list is the 11th time our fullback has done so. Edit: its also the first time Tommy has topped the list at Manly.

Daly Cherry-Evans' season total of 164 points (8 tries, 65 goals, 2 FG) is the 23rd highest points scored in a season by a Manly player. Its also more than double his previous highest season points total of 81 from 2011. Our top point scorer last year (minor round only) was Dylan Walker with 104 (12 tries, 28 goals).

Manly scored 500 points in 2018 from 81 tries, 87 goals and 2 field goals. That is 52 points down on 2017. Last year we scored 101 tries, 77 goals and 4 field goals.

We conceded 622 points this year compared to 512 last year (minor round only, otherwise we conceded 534 in 2017).

Manly used 29 players in 2017. We used 27 last year.

2018 is the first time Manly have finished 2nd last since 1953, a break of 65 years. Edit: that's wrong, it was actually 2003.

Over 3 years, Manly's average finishing position (minor round only) under Trent Barrett is 11.33. If you take into account finishing 8th after the 2017 Finals, our average finishing position is 12th. When Barrett took over we were ranked 9th having finished there in 2015.

That's enough for now.

Last edited:
Did you know???

Manly's top try scorers in 2018 are Shaun Lane and Tom Trbojevic who crossed for 9 each. The last time Manly didn't have a try scorer in double figures was 1992 when Craig Hancock also scored 9 tries. Our top try scorer in 2017 was Akuila Uate with 14.

Lane is the first forward to top Manly's try scoring list for a season since Beaver scored 13 in 1999. Coincidentally, 1999 was also a joint effort at the top with Albert Torrens also scoring 13. Turbo topping the list is the 11th time our fullback has done so.

Daly Cherry-Evans' season total of 164 points (8 tries, 65 goals, 2 FG) is the 23rd highest points scored in a season by a Manly player. Its also more than double his previous highest season points total of 81 from 2011. Our top point scorer last year (minor round only) was Dylan Walker with 104 (12 tries, 28 goals).

Manly scored 500 points in 2018 from 81 tries, 87 goals and 2 field goals. That is 52 points down on 2017. Last year we scored 101 tries, 77 goals and 4 field goals.

We conceded 622 points this year compared to 512 last year (minor round only, otherwise we conceded 534 in 2017).

Manly used 29 players in 2017. We used 27 last year.

2018 is the first time Manly have finished 2nd last since 1953, a break of 65 years.

Over 3 years, Manly's average finishing position (minor round only) under Trent Barrett is 11.33. If you take into account finishing 8th after the 2017 Finals, our average finishing position is 12th. When Barrett took over we were ranked 9th having finished there in 2015.

That's enough for now.

Not surprised by DCE. He took the goal kicking reigns, so he was destined to beat his previous record.

I don't mind the fact that a forward topped the try list, its just disappointing that the top tries scored was 9.

Not surprised by DCE. He took the goal kicking reigns, so he was destined to beat his previous record.

I don't mind the fact that a forward topped the try list, its just disappointing that the top tries scored was 9.

Yep, your first choice goal kicker is always the most likely to score the most points. Stands to reason really.

I don't mind forwards scoring either. Loved it when Beaver was doing it.

I'm more disappointed in the fact that our backs (1-5) only scored a combined 33 tries, 34 if Tom Wright was playing in the centres that night against St Merge. Our forwards combined for 35.

Tom Trbojevic, Brian Kelly and Akuila Uate were the only Manly outside backs to score more than 5 tries with 9, 7 and 5 respectively. Three forwards scored 7 or more with Lane on 9 and Jake and Thommo with 7.

Our Top 5 for tries were:

1 - Shaun Lane / Tom Trbojevic (9)
2 - Daly Cherry-Evans (8)
3 - Joel Thompson / Jake Trbojevic (7)
4 - Akuila Uate (5)
5 - Matt Wright (4)

The Top 5 for the NRL this year was:

1 - David Fusitua (Warriors - 22)
2 - Valentine Holmes (Sharks - 21)
3 - Robert Jennings (Rabbitohs - 18)
4 - Corey Oates (Broncos - 18)
5 - Josh Addo-Carr (Storm - 17)

That's a huge difference.

Tom Trbojevic has now scored 39 tries from 77 games for Manly, 27 of them while playing fullback. At the same stage of his career, Brett Stewart had scored 41 tries.

Daly Cherry-Evans only needs another 144 points to overtake Matt Orford and become Manly's highest ever point scoring halfback.

Last edited:
Manly's highest ever point scorers per position. Note that this is for the games they started in the position and doesn't take into account swapping positions during a game.....e.g Killer could have moved between centre and 5/8, but his points scored for the whole game count only for centre as that is where he was at kickoff.

Fullback - Graham Eadie (1,917 - 71 tries, 847 goals, 3 field goals)* - 1971-1983
Wing - Jorge Taufua (288 - 72 tries) - 2012-
Centre - Jamie Lyon (1,240 - 73 tries, 474 goals) - 2007-2016
Five-Eight - Cliff Lyons (258 - 61 tries, 5 goals, 4 field goals) - 1986-1999
Halfback - Matt Orford (569 - 17 tries, 246 goals, 9 field goals) - 2006-2009
Prop - John Gray (116 - 2 tries, 55 goals)* - 1978-1980
Hooker - Mal Cochrane (410 - 19 tries, 167 goals) - 1983-1990
Second Row - Steve Menzies (432 - 108 tries) - 1993-2008
Lock - Jake Trbojevic (80 - 20 tries) - 2013-

Bench - Cliff Lyons (40 - 10 tries) - 1986-1999

* Eadie and Gray's totals include pre-1983 when tries were only worth 3 points.

Last edited:
Yep, your first choice goal kicker is always the most likely to score the most points. Stands to reason really.

I don't mind forwards scoring either. Loved it when Beaver was doing it.

I'm more disappointed in the fact that our backs (1-5) only scored a combined 33 tries, 34 if Tom Wright was playing in the centres that night against St Merge. Our forwards combined for 35.

Tom Trbojevic, Brian Kelly and Akuila Uate were the only Manly outside backs to score more than 5 tries with 9, 7 and 5 respectively. Three forwards scored 7 or more with Lane on 9 and Jake and Thommo with 7.

Our Top 5 for tries were:

1 - Shaun Lane / Tom Trbojevic (9)
2 - Daly Cherry-Evans (8)
3 - Joel Thompson / Jake Trbojevic (7)
4 - Akuila Uate (5)
5 - Matt Wright (4)

The Top 5 for the NRL this year was:

1 - David Fusitua (Warriors - 22)
2 - Valentine Holmes (Sharks - 21)
3 - Robert Jennings (Rabbitohs - 18)
4 - Corey Oates (Broncos - 18)
5 - Josh Addo-Carr (Storm - 17)

That's a huge difference.

Tom Trbojevic has now scored 39 tries from 77 games for Manly, 27 of them while playing fullback. At the same stage of his career, Brett Stewart had scored 41 tries.

Daly Cherry-Evans only needs another 144 points to overtake Matt Orford and become Manly's highest ever point scoring halfback.

Seems like a lifetime ago that Phil Blake scored I think 28 tries in a season, those were the days ......

If Shaun Lane tops our try scoring list , that just shows how low we've become .Nothing personal Lane .

If Shaun Lane tops our try scoring list , that just shows how low we've become .Nothing personal Lane .

At least Tommy was able to cross for 9 to make it semi respectable for the backs. He probably would have scored more if he was allowed to run more into gaps from fullback rather than having to act as an extra play maker due to our lack of a 5/8.

and if I'm not mistaken Suli scored one try from 13/14 matches. I'll bet there is no other centre in the NRL who played a similar amount of matches with such a low strike rate.
The kid has potential, but it's not as a back.

and if I'm not mistaken Suli scored one try from 13/14 matches. I'll bet there is no other centre in the NRL who played a similar amount of matches with such a low strike rate.
The kid has potential, but it's not as a back.
Losing 15kgs would certainly help his speed & agility. I hate how lazy he is. Basically whenever you see an opposition back make a break Suli gives up the chase after 10 metres.

Losing 15kgs would certainly help his speed & agility. I hate how lazy he is. Basically whenever you see an opposition back make a break Suli gives up the chase after 10 metres.
If he gets his weight in control then the kid could be a gun. He has a big off season ahead of him if he wants to be serious as a first grader.

If he gets his weight in control then the kid could be a gun. He has a big off season ahead of him if he wants to be serious as a first grader.
Agreed. He is around 112kgs from what I understand; I’d suggest he should get down to 105. He will pick up some speed and still retain good size and strength.

Agreed. He is around 112kgs from what I understand; I’d suggest he should get down to 105. He will pick up some speed and still retain good size and strength.
Yeah his speed is the biggest concern at his current weight. His lateral defence would benefit the most with that added pace. He's been shown up for pace way too often on his own line.

Well, if you want your centre to be big and strong only then that's where we differ in opinion.
I want my centre to be skilful, elusive, fast, able to spot gaps, exploit defensive weaknesses, good hands, a good pass . . . and if he happens to to big and strong (like Latrell Mitchell and Greg Ingliss) then that is a bonus.
IMO we have erred by recruiting 'big bodies' rather than smart footballers.

Its a points per game turn around of -6.48 from 2017 to 2018. -4.4 from points conceded and -2.08 from points scored per game.

If you take out the game where we pull the Eels pants down in round 2, its a points per game difference of -9 to the season prior.

Pretty shocking difference.

Well, if you want your centre to be big and strong only then that's where we differ in opinion.
I want my centre to be skilful, elusive, fast, able to spot gaps, exploit defensive weaknesses, good hands, a good pass . . . and if he happens to to big and strong (like Latrell Mitchell and Greg Ingliss) then that is a bonus.
IMO we have erred by recruiting 'big bodies' rather than smart footballers.
I'm not sure where you are getting all of this from. I'm suggesting he lose weight - about 7 kilos, so he is faster, yet still has size and strength so that he doesn't get rag-dolled by going overboard and losing too much weight. Obviously you want your players to be skilful and have a good footy brain. The original comment I responded to was about his weight, hence my comments.

When your wingers can't break double figures, it shows a heap of issues...
It confirms how much expectation is on the middle third, as AFB and Kapow often make a heap of metres.
Playing direct is a good thing, but as Souths show, after banging down the doors around the ruck its time to get deep and shift that footy.
If you look at that Top tryscorers list, every 1 of those players can MAKE a try with a solo burst and add your, Rapana's, Cotric, Ferguson types also...we have Parker and Wright who at best, will maybe score from 10m out, when given an unchecked run to the line.
Even Taufua who I have been a Massive fan, is cooked and offers little.
Instead of a great start to sets, I generally just hope for no dropped ball and even a small gain is a win.
You watch other sides and the impact their wingers have in gaining field position and momentum in comparison....it has in fact been 1 of many problems the side has struggled with in 2018.

I'm not sure where you are getting all of this from. I'm suggesting he lose weight - about 7 kilos, so he is faster, yet still has size and strength so that he doesn't get rag-dolled by going overboard and losing too much weight. Obviously you want your players to be skilful and have a good footy brain. The original comment I responded to was about his weight, hence my comments.
I take more interest in centres than any other position because that's where I played, both union and league.
My belief is that centre is not Suli's position. I won't give up on him though as I've seen big guys like him who dominated oppositions in junior grades from centre transform themselves into forwards.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8