Destination USA next in line for NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle9413

Forward Pass
image.jpeg

A proposed international window could allow the Kangaroos to take a rugby league Test to the United States in a bid to grow the game abroad.

Club matches could also be headed to the States according to NRL head of game strategy and development, Shane Richardson, as rugby league looks to grow off the exposure of Jarryd Hayne in the US.

"We shouldn't rule it out in any capacity," Richardson told Fairfax Media.

"In the past as soon as you put up international rugby league you got bashed, ridiculed, but it's actually a growth area of the game for us."

The Kangaroos haven't played in America since 2004 when they faced the USA Tomahawks on an artificial field, however the Wallabies attracted more than 23,000 people when they played a Rugby World Cup warm-up match in Chicago, in September.

Richardson also hinted that the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) was looking at how an expanded Auckland Nines concept could be used for the economic growth of the game on the world stage.

"That's a real commercial opportunity for the RLIF," Richardson said.

"It's a real opportunity to get commercial income that they can utilise and grow into some of the other nations like Tonga, Samoa and more importantly in Europe, where the game is growing despite people knocking it.

"Without money it is impossible to do."

http://www.nrl.com/destination-usa-next-in-line-for-nrl/tabid/10874/newsid/91200/default.aspx

The recurring themes of Richardson's proposals are.......the same ones Super League were all about.

* SL wanted less teams in Sydney
* SL wanted the GF played in Brisbane (I know that's not his proposal but it has been put out there)
* SL were going to play the game in places like China and the USA......

Coincidence?

Genius. The USA is such an easy market to crack. There are only about 300 million people, 50 states with fairly distinct identities, a few hundred tv channels and a complex array of national and college sports. Richo is the man for this.

The recurring themes of Richardson's proposals are.......the same ones Super League were all about.

* SL wanted the GF played in Brisbane (I know that's not his proposal but it has been put out there)

Coincidence?
Well Richardson was employed by a Superleague-aligned club during the 'War.' I've always suspected that he was a largely unreconstructed 'John Ribot vision' type from way back.

Hates Manly too. That's not tin hat talk either.

Richardson or Greenturd will probably be the next CEO.
Is there a lesser of two evils?

Coincidence?
He is Super League by stealth, he was one of the perpetrators all those years ago when he was the CEO of the news limited super league aligned Cronulla Sharks. The Sydney clubs must do what it takes to protect their clubs as this guy is a threat.

Should play a World Nines event in the US. Have the top 16-20 ranked countries in the world in the competition. Would also be great for teams that usually aren't in the World Cup.

The NRL have got to explore overseas options and try to expand the game overseas. If our game is the greatest game of all as everyone says then it should do well! They should start in countries that have rugby, e.g., South Africa as it would be easier for them to understand and pick up the rules. The South Africans are mad rugby fans but I'm sure league could make a dent there and get a good following. And with Hayne making a name for himself in the NFL, this could be a good time to promote it in the US but the NRL need to get some strong media coverage and prime time TV scheduling.

I was I the US recently visiting the Mrs mob. I asked Yank friends & family who follow NFL had they heard of Jaryd Hayne, none had.
They weren't 49ers fans though.

Most people in the USA don't even know the difference between league and union. And other than the odd reference to the NRL, most of the media over there seem to think (or at least did but some still do) that he played 'rugby'.

I was I the US recently visiting the Mrs mob. I asked Yank friends & family who follow NFL had they heard of Jaryd Hayne, none had.
They weren't 49ers fans though.
My relos in Boston have never heard of him either. Aussie media had us all thinking all of America was following him with interest. Not true.
The yanks are so consumed by their own sports that even trying is a waste of time.

The NRL should be more concerned with promoting and growing the game where it is actually played, not exhibition matches in America, China or Kartoonistan where nobody gives a f**k.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8