1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Des Haslers impending selection headache

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by The Eagle, Aug 19, 2010.

1. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    Ive just read that Farrar will be back from injury come finals time

Who would you pick,the pimple popping teenager who is safe as a house
    under the high ball,or Farrar who honestly isnt the best catcher but creates
    a Brett Stewart like injection into the backline,Hopoate's 1st taste of 1st grade should have came with mixed reviews,he was as safe as the prince under a high ball but made no concernable metres or extra injection into the sweeping right and left hand side ball movements which is basically a manly trademark

Farrar under a bomb makes baby jesus cry,but his attack is near as lethal as Bretts,Hopoate's running and in particular kick returns had the penetration of an egg sandwich on a solid titanium box,but under a high ball he might even be safer than our injured superstar Brett Stewart

More points or perfect bomb and kick defense,Des decides soon and oh my god how we miss Brett.....he is the best of both worlds

Who would you guys pick?

2. NYEagle

NYEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,154 / 69
    Nice analysis sir - quite accurate.

I pick Hoppa as fullback, Farrar off the bench.

3. The Eagle

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    Kick Bailey off the bench for an outside back?
    Whos on field place would he take when he comes
    on at 60minutes?
    Rodney perhaps(who i think is 80minute player)?
    I think Ballin has proven himself over 80minutes this season
    What role would he play?
    Your idea of him on the bench is nice but it leaves alot
    of questions

4. yazman78

yazman78 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If Hoppa was 100% against the Storm, he would have been better. It was obvious he was tentative to run fast, and do note that he was picked despite being injured.

I would go for Hoppa, put Farrar on the bench to take Bailey's place. Farrar can cover backline injuries and if one of the halves or Ballin gets injured, Lyon can move to halves allowing one of Foran or Hodko to play hooker.

Another alternative is to bring Farrar in off bench and move T-Rex to forwards.

5. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
  6. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,746 / 258
    I agree C & C it's a no brainer...we need the points he can inject into a game

7. Brookie

Brookie Well-Known Member

Swinger Hill
    Ratings:
    +216 / 4
    what about sandow... oh wait...lol!

8. abnc

abnc Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hoppa for mine. I'd prefer a safe Fullback instead off an attacking one at the moment. Hoppa's positional play is actually pretty good. If Farrar is at fullback in the finals opponents will bomb us relentlessly. I get nervous every time a bomb goes near him.

We have enough attacking backline players, and i think Hoppa can still fit in the attacking line which he did occasionally last time. Considering he was playing injured i though he did a great job.

Farrar is a great option off the bench. He can cover 1 to 6  and 9 if need be. An excellent utility player to have on the bench. I'd have Farrar on the bench instead of Bailey any day of the week.

9. The Eagle

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    Thats a rather interesting prospect,T Rex moves from right wing to Rodneys place in the back row with Farrar coming on the right wing,he could very well be that injection of lethality we need during the last 20minutes of a game

Hopoate stays out the back and difuses multiple bombs,i know he was playing injured its just i havent seen enough toyota cup this year

But if fresh legs stay on the right wing theyll know where the points should be coming from unless he plays an attacking fullback roll and moves to wing in defense,interesting concepts tho

10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310 / 0
    Farrar offers so much more to the team on the attack, Hoppa does the same in defence (Compared to Farrar anyway).

Given that we have quite a few points in us with Gift, Lyon, Matai & Choc running around i'd be happy with Hoppa there at fullback for the finals.

If Farrar can learn to catch a bomb he'd be great. He offers so much in attack & is a good defender, just can't catch. I'd be more happy with him there if we had some plan in place for another player to drop back in kicking situations with him moving onto a wing.

Problem with that being Robbo is just as useless under a high ball as well & T-Rex is T-Rex.

I wont be unhappy whichever way the decision goes to be honest. Big fan of both players.

11. Terry-Randal

Terry-Randal Active Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0
      Des's biggest headache is making the semis 1st.

12. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
  13. MissKate

MissKate Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 7
    Hoppa at FB and Farrar in for T-Rex.  Cannot believe I just said that as I have always been a big supporter of T-Rex.  If he can convince me on the weekend he deserves his spot then I have a re-think but at the moment Farrar deserves a spot over T-Rex

14. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,115 / 287
    01. William Hopoate
    02. Michael Robertson
    03. Steve Matai
    04. Jamie Lyon (c)
    05. Ben Farrar
    06. Keiran Foran
    07. Trent Hodkinson
    08. Jason King
    09. Matt Ballin
    10. Brent Kite
    11. Anthony Watmough
    12. Shane Rodney
    13. Glenn Stewart

14. Tony Williams
    15. Goerge Rose
    16. Josh Perry
    17. Joe Galuvao

15. mickqld

mickqld Sack Greenslime 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,746 / 57
    Farrar to fullback, Hoppa to wing, T-Rex to the bench, Bailey out.

16. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,404 / 130
    Agreed

17. mickqld

mickqld Sack Greenslime 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,746 / 57
    That is just a MASSIVE bench. They would collapse any reserves seats. Not a lot of speed or endurance but my god that is a MASSIVE bench.
    I'd love to see that team Ryan I think you've nailed it.

18. jwaa

jwaa member

Ratings:
    +27 / 2
    I like this team. Especially if farrar and hoppa can seamlessly swap in attack, could in itself cause issues though

19. Brookie

Brookie Well-Known Member

Swinger Hill
    Ratings:
    +216 / 4
    isn't perry out for the season?

20. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,746 / 258
    Ryan

You have Perry in there, do you know something the rest of us don't know???