Des and The Bulldogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Considering his team he has done a fair job to get the results that he has (good pack, average backline)
As I see it the problem is that their style can get results over the year but they lack the little something special to get them over the line

Des done well here in a golden period that most coaches would have got success...it was a super squad.
What he done the best imo, he built a great squad almost from scratch with the foundations of BK, a great call around 2005 that was rewarded with GF's & finals basically ever since, bringing a competitive nature to Manly that opposition teams have envied ever since.
Call me old fashioned, but pride myself on loyalty & morals & prefer him stay at the Dogs where the pressures on in what has not been an overly successful job.
His ego got bigger than Manly, let's not forget, they built him up from nothing & he was prepared to destroy the club & left Manly in turmoil.... Appreciate 95% of what he did, but that 5% showed a control freak with a nasty agenda....will give Barrett the benefit & the chance to land us a premiership over 2 years & start out new dynasty.

Considering his team he has done a fair job to get the results that he has (good pack, average backline)
As I see it the problem is that their style can get results over the year but they lack the little something special to get them over the line
Des has the same results with the Dogs as Toovey has had with the Sea Eagles .

Des has the same results with the Dogs as Toovey has had with the Sea Eagles .
An extra grand final and semis every year with arguably (last years injuries might cause a different discussion) a weaker team....although to be fair he had support from those who run his club....

An extra grand final and semis every year with arguably (last years injuries might cause a different discussion) a weaker team....although to be fair he had support from those who run his club....
Given your fair assessment there isn't much in it between the two I would say

Des gets what he wants, like a spoiled fat kid with chocolate cake right hand, cookie in the left.
He custom builds his teams & already started with an ominous pack who could match any.
Backline consisted of 2 NSW halves Hodgkinson & Reynolds, 2 NSW outside backs (now) in the Morris bros & plenty of accomplished players like Mbye, Lafai, Barba (freakish form) led by arguably the best prop in the game in Graham....a handy squad so excuses should be minimal.

The clubs who publish these strategic plans that say 'two premierships in five year' or similar have no hope. The Titans have such a mission statement too. The failure is measuring success by ultimate achievement. No one knows who will win the finals each year - and the winning team gets there through minimal injuries, good ref calls and a favouable draw. Getting in the top four should be the goal; this you have control over. But it doesn't stop these feel good motherhood statements aimed more at shoring up board and management positions.

I mean if manly released such a document it would say 'win the premiership each and every year'.

The clubs who publish these strategic plans that say 'two premierships in five year' or similar have no hope. The Titans have such a mission statement too. The failure is measuring success by ultimate achievement. No one knows who will win the finals each year - and the winning team gets there through minimal injuries, good ref calls and a favouable draw. Getting in the top four should be the goal; this you have control over. But it doesn't stop these feel good motherhood statements aimed more at shoring up board and management positions.

I mean if manly released such a document it would say 'win the premiership each and every year'.

Exactly. Saying you will win 2 premierships in 5 years just means you will accept failure for the other 3!

Staff online

• Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8