Decoy runners

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

king2213

Reserve Grader
Any one else’s notice that we very rarely have decoy runners running lines and angles when we are on attack ?

I can not understand why not , our attack looks so predictable at times and lost

Since Barrett has taken over this part of our game is not existent

Defensive lines are laughing at us

A dedicated decoy runner is a part of a "set play", we don't have those. Our attacking structure is "play what's in front of you". Many times with this style the only option "in front of you" is no options. That's why DCE runs in circles and dies with the ball so often. Hopefully the addition of Hodko will let us form some set plays and DCE can also do his "play what's in front of him" stuff from one pass wider of the ruck. The more dimension choices the better.

A dedicated decoy runner is a part of a "set play", we don't have those. Our attacking structure is "play what's in front of you". Many times with this style the only option "in front of you" is no options. That's why DCE runs in circles and dies with the ball so often. Hopefully the addition of Hodko will let us form some set plays and DCE can also do his "play what's in front of him" stuff from one pass wider of the ruck. The more dimension choices the better.

We have no attacking structure when attacking their line

It is quite concerning 3 years in that we still don’t have any structure

I hope your right mate I really do

We have been using decoys fir the last 2 years under Barrett. It looks he has changed the point of attack with addition of Thompson on our left. The block plays are getting predictable so it's good to see variation in our play hitting 1st man instead going out the back to Tom while teams know it's coming. We seem to be playing good footy now so I don't know what the issue is here.

Manly only really attack well away from the try line, off power and speed penetration through the middle with offloads during fast go forward sets or during fresh periods of the game.

DCE uses way too many under passes and for most of his career played off the back of second man plays for added space when he receives the ball.

The best teams hit the first man more often, use more face balls than the average team
and avoid under balls during go forward sets to promote direct straightness in their games. Under balls are just lazy not having any idea plays especially when it is a lone inside runner---yeah you might target the odd lazy inside defender back through the ruck or move forwards around but in general not much gain.

If you are going to use under plays mix it up, have the inside under runner ball play to a straight explosive runner also pushing up, or use a double under play---outside defenders tend to switch off when they see the under play ball carrier receiving the ball so if that player also hits another under runner in quick succession that player can hit a straight running Tom through the middle.

Too great a percentage of DCE's passes are in this category, needs to be reduced drastically---if you watch the Storm over the years they try to avoid this lazy play more often than most---they were also moving their game away from the over use of second man plays much earlier than other clubs.

Yesterday showed with a lack of composed experience in the halves and at hooker Melbs error rate increases due to a lack of confidence they have the points in them when the game is in a grind. More risk taking and the feeling of being under pressure will create errors and a lack of field position and possession in quality zones.(same with their losses earlier in the season)

It is why i always say good structured, fast, straight go forward sets and attack wins games, great defence keeps you in the grind for a chance to win games. Even great defence will succumb with a lack of quality possession and field position.

The positives from the last few games has been seeing Manly "enjoying" the grind and competing, not just enjoying the flat wicket everything going our way periods.

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: Sue
Worse still, the odd occasion there has been attacking shape have actually lead to tries....that were over ruled for obstruction!!...with lead runners stopping in the line and not pushing through....have been saying a while now - especially in the opposition red zone - get Lane, Thompson, Paseka at an edge taking on an isolated half....this rarely happens but when it does, the scoring strike rate is good.

Any one else’s notice that we very rarely have decoy runners running lines and angles when we are on attack ?

I can not understand why not , our attack looks so predictable at times and lost

Our points scored is the fifth best in the league. 3 points off fourth so I disagree completely that “defenses are laughing at us” because they’re clearly having trouble stopping us. Discipline (not giving away cheap penalties) consistency and defense is what needs improvement

Because we lost sirro then sirro b and so on

i can't stand decoy runners
they should all be ruled offside
all this inside shoulder/outside shoulder stuff is bull****
the way most defensive lines slide means a 'decoy runner' can impact the tackling player even if they are not directly impeded by the decoy as their inside men aren't able to slide to cover due to the opposition being essentially in an offside position in the defensive line
they had the rule right in the first few rounds a few years ago before all the coaches cried about not being able to use decoy runners, now we have this sh!thouse state of affairs where it's a throw of the dice whether it's ruled legal or not
i think most of the referees are panty sniffers, but they're given a tough job by having a ridiculous set of rules to adjudicate

Decoy runners for better or worse will still be a part of footy teams ploys and set plays for some time yet . With Frank on one edge for the majority of last season and with some even possession , some of these decoy plays were not too bad in Manly "s general play to gain some advantage . Most of Manly "s games this year though [ and until recently ] and through poor completion rates and lack of possession have really restricted much use of any type of attacking variation including decoy running . . Virtually all of the Manly pack are quite mobile , so any decoy running executed properly can work in Manly 's favour but i also think that Manly still have a slight problem with some better variation and imaginative play in the opposition "s red zone . Maybe the inclusion of Hodko and with his general experience now can improve this short coming and to also incorporate some effective decoy running .

i can't stand decoy runners
they should all be ruled offside
all this inside shoulder/outside shoulder stuff is bull****
the way most defensive lines slide means a 'decoy runner' can impact the tackling player even if they are not directly impeded by the decoy as their inside men aren't able to slide to cover due to the opposition being essentially in an offside position in the defensive line
they had the rule right in the first few rounds a few years ago before all the coaches cried about not being able to use decoy runners, now we have this sh!thouse state of affairs where it's a throw of the dice whether it's ruled legal or not
i think most of the referees are panty sniffers, but they're given a tough job by having a ridiculous set of rules to adjudicate

This is the way to break defensive lines

Ur doomed without them

Decoy runners just give the Refs another reason to disallow our try. Yes they can play a valuable role at times, but I'm happy for Manly to have a limited number of decoy in our present attack.

Our points scored is the fifth best in the league. 3 points off fourth so I disagree completely that “defenses are laughing at us” because they’re clearly having trouble stopping us. Discipline (not giving away cheap penalties) consistency and defense is what needs improvement
They are not laughing at Manly but in saying that our attack is not "3 points off fourth" level that is for sure, more like mid ladder quality but one of the better teams through the middle after some fast play the balls and penetration.

Removing each teams biggest margin win as the exception to the rule stat i'm guessing would see Manly around 7th/8th in attack stats wise.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8