[Resurrected] David Williams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle9413

Forward Pass
I can't bear to watch a Manly legend like David Williams leave the way he did. He never seemed to recover from his 2013 Grand Final performance. However, last season, he showed us that there is still fight in him. When we faced Melbourne on ANZAC day, he scored the winning try for us in the last 10 minutes. It became our only victory since round 2.

With that said, here is my proposal.

I seriously think we should give him a chance in the Auckland Nines. He has plenty of speed and experience. If we put him on the wing he will carve up those young blokes. He had plenty of experience playing in reserve grade, so he will be used to playing against younger players than himself. It will be good to see him in the Manly jersey for one last hurrah.

Just imagine our line up for the nines! Wolfman, DCE, Symonds, Trbojevic... We woud be the "team to beat."

Thoughts?

image.jpeg

Honestly Not a Fan of David Williams. He was Good for us a Few years ago but we need speed and mental toughness something he doesn't have any more. I think we have too many other good options. I think this boat has sailed.

I really feel for Wolfie, he was such a character and skilful player. Unfortunately every time he closes his eyes he sees a Rorters jersey leaping over the top of him. RL is such a confidence game and your head has to be in the right place otherwise it can be unrelenting.

Happened to plenty before him and he won't be the last.
Was a good player and had a few strong years and definitely doesn't deserve the 2013 GF to be what he's remembered for.

I respect Williams for always getting back up from serious injuries and returning to the field. Unfortunately the 2013 GF wasn't a case of bad luck, it was obvious that his head wasn't in the game and it cost us dearly. I remember Snake giving him a good roasting in the in goal after he stared starry eyed at a dangerous grubber kick. Yes, he scored that miracle try the week before but I question David's mental capacity in clutch moments.

I actually think Wolfman (while on the outside appears simple, fun and chaotic), is actually very smart, focused and dedicated. If I'm a betting man, I'm pretty sure he has many options outside of football, and he himself has decided to follow these considering his injuries.

The bloke received a broken neck versus The Storm one time (the one and only time I ever say Billy Slater in a good light), and many, many more.

The bloke should have NEVER bet on a game of NRL, and honestly, I think that is what cruelled him. The games integrity is paramount, and gamble (so to speak) with that, you'll end up having a very short lifespan in that game.

I think Wolfy has moved on - and I wish him all the success in the world. Unfortunately, guys like Trbojevic, Taufua, Green would be in front of him in the pecking order.

Will always remember that freak try against Souths, beating GI with no room in the corner to help the massive comeback over Souths in 2013.
Also a ridiculous chase & cover tackle on a Panther player taking the corner post in an all time classic try saver.
Most importantly being a fun, easy going bloke who bought fun into the game, yet turned on the enthusiasm button come game time & was a super competitor.
Wolf will be happy he turned into an International, premiership winning player at Manly from nothing & the fans will always remember the flying Wolf as a top winger & charismatic bloke.

I ran into him out in the city a couple of weeks back. Had a chat with him. I cannot recall what he plans are post footy. It was around 1am or 2am so my memory is a little hazy. Nice guy though.

And off the field a real personality, comfortable in front of a camera, and a genuine talent for getting publicity, here on the footy show.........

Where would he even rate in wingers of the last decade?

If you throw up names like Chris Hicks, Donald, Robo, Hoppa Jnr, Jorge, Hiku, Tom Turbo, T-Sexy - Wolfie ranks bottom half somewhere...

If you throw up names like Chris Hicks, Donald, Robo, Hoppa Jnr, Jorge, Hiku, Tom Turbo, T-Sexy - Wolfie ranks bottom half somewhere...

Really? Over the course of his career (not the game against the roosters) he would have to be in the top draw

Some of his finishing was freakish..

Really? Over the course of his career (not the game against the roosters) he would have to be in the top draw

Some of his finishing was freakish..
I'd probably take everyone bar Donald before him (for guys like T-Rex and Hoppa I'd be referring to them during their time here).

2008 version of Wolfman was the pick of the crop - fast, fearless, confident, dynamic. Probably a dead heat with the 2011 version of Hoppa Jnr
Over a whole career with Manly I'd put Robbo ahead of them all.

I'd probably take everyone bar Donald before him (for guys like T-Rex and Hoppa I'd be referring to them during their time here).
How many of those guys played SOO and Australia ? Wolfie in his prime was better than most on that list. He is 4th all time on try scoring list for Manly wingers with 66, Mooney (83), Hoppa Snr (69) and Robbo (68) ahead of him. I'd take him ahead of all those you listed apart from Robbo probably, although he had Robbo covered for impact and match winning ability, just not as consistent and reliable. I do think that TT will be a better talent long term, but that is unlikely to be on the wing. Taufua will more than likely overtake him on the try scoring ledger, but Horhay lacks consistency although probably more dynamic/powerful and a better line breaker than Wolfie. Taufua not as good a finisher and not a very good passer nor kicker, Wolf was better at getting to the line, also better at positioning players and keeping try scoring opportunities alive. Horhay dies with the ball a lot when in space.

Unfortunately Wolf will be remembered for the disaster that was 2013 GF, which is tough on him. He also had a similar shocker in an Origin match which killed his rep career. He has seen some lows, but his highs were pretty good too. Great character, top clubman, played above his weight and put his body on line. I'm sure he'll be fine post footy.....smart guy and has a good outlook on life.

How many of those guys played SOO and Australia ? Wolfie in his prime was better than most on that list. He is 4th all time on try scoring list for Manly wingers with 66, Mooney (83), Hoppa Snr (69) and Robbo (68) ahead of him. I'd take him ahead of all those you listed apart from Robbo probably, although he had Robbo covered for impact and match winning ability, just not as consistent and reliable. I do think that TT will be a better talent long term, but that is unlikely to be on the wing. Taufua will more than likely overtake him on the try scoring ledger, but Horhay lacks consistency although probably more dynamic/powerful and a better line breaker than Wolfie. Taufua not as good a finisher and not a very good passer nor kicker, Wolf was better at getting to the line, also better at positioning players and keeping try scoring opportunities alive. Horhay dies with the ball a lot when in space.

Unfortunately Wolf will be remembered for the disaster that was 2013 GF, which is tough on him. He also had a similar shocker in an Origin match which killed his rep career. He has seen some lows, but his highs were pretty good too. Great character, top clubman, played above his weight and put his body on line. I'm sure he'll be fine post footy.....smart guy and has a good outlook on life.
His highs coincided with the teams highs. Not many weak links during his peak years.

I'm not really a sentimental person. Wing is the most replaceable position to me and a guy like Wolfie was good when he was good and a disaster when he was off. To me he's a footy example of the Peter Principle. He failed up to rep footy and his natural position was the end of one of the best club backlines we've probably seen.

Wolfie will be remembered because of some inspiring performances and his 'Wolfie' identity. But every player reaches the end of the road. He's in the annals of Manly's premiership stars. So few reach that stage. Lets enjoy the years we had him and avoid becoming morose. His legacy is with us always as with so many others. I think he'll be happy he achieved what he achieved.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7