Darren: Palau or Tasi

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Hey mate. I know a lot of us are disappointed that Tasi is going to the new salary cap cheats in The Roosters. That being said, after seeing Palau battle back from long injuries etc, it just appears he is playing a great all round game (and actually reminds me a lot of Tasi - just bigger, faster and more mature).

In your opinion, do you think Palau is a chance of making the next step in the next 12-24 months?

gday Ryan, it seems that Palau has been going very well up at Sunshine this year. He's only 22 and we seem to forget that!!, 190cm tall and 113kg so he is a big lad. He certainly runs hard and that is a big plus. He was highly regarded as a junior but like Whare, had a serious injury that really slowed him down in terms of development. Des gave him a run in the 1st grade trial against Sharks and he went real well but didn't have much chance against Perry, Kite, King and Rose to start in 2010. I was impressed that he is in the top 25 so it seems Des likes him too. With Perry going, there is a big chance for him to step up.

Tasi is an exceptional junior whose size and skill makes him a standout. He is only 20 and 188cm/104kg so quite similar to Junior in size. The thing I have noticed is that Tasi dominates when he plays. He has good mobility for a big guy and that makes him a potential star.

The problem could be for Tasi is converting to nrl against guys older and bigger (Tony Williams) Tony was the destroying junior, played all the rep teams but hasn't yet transferred his devastating junior form into seniors.

I was disappointed with Hargreaves leaving and now Tasi!! Probably our best 2 forwards coming thru have gone. It seems weird that Tasi went to Roosters as he will have loads of players in front of him. You would think he could have been a big chance to make top 25 and go from there with us.

I would say potentially Tasi over Palau but there is something about Palau that could be a shining star (maybe)

Don't forget that prop James Cunningham is also highly rated by the club for several years. Maybe Des rates him more!!Even though he doesn't look it, he's 197cm and 102kg. He has all the ball playing skills to go with his frame. To be honest, these two are the standouts in the forwards of toyota cup. Also, hooker Liam Higgins is loaded with talent, hope we don't lose him. 

Tbh, I don't see many u20's games. When I have seen them though, Tasi has done nothing for me. Cunningham was more impressive. As I said I've probably seen about 3 games in 2 years, so yeah, pretty much my opinion means sfa.

Good summation Darren. It's always good to get opinions on the young blokes from people who see alot of them.

no probs volley, with the salary cap so tough, having kids come thru is going to benefit (even short term)

Re: 2010 Australian Schoolboys under 18's

Team picked from this weeks championships. Again, not one Manly player in it, 
From nsw 4-dogs, 3-wests, 3-parra, 3-penrith, 1-cronulla, 1-Newcastle

Used to have lots of Sharks kids (Endeavour high) seems no more (broke)!! Dogs is interesting having 4 kids picked, more than usual Panthers/Parra. Not as many from Keebra park QLD (Tigers) There doesn't seem to be any big point pouring big dollars into scholarships if another club offers big dough to a junior anyway. eg JHW, Tony Williams

We do have some good kids coming from 16's. Cromer won the State titles again so hoping we have some local kids come thru.

Where is Tasi from? I know where Hargreaves was from, he was recruited and we paid fair $$ for him. We also recruited a number of other promising young players from other clubs (some on fair $$, some cheap) including Hodkinson, David and Tony Williams, Buhrer, etc. We recruit players from elsewhere and others recruit from us.

It is a big downside of the current system that clubs develop young players and then when they show some talent the club can't afford to retain them. All clubs are in the same boat really (except Melbourne) but it is hard on fans who want to watch the next generation of club heroes coming through.

This is an issue that won't get addressed at least until there is an IC. Meanwhile it's a matter of timing and planning and it's up to clubs to be very skilful jugglers. Hargreaves would probably have been in our NRL forward rotation this year if we still had him, probably ahead of Cross, but apart from that we haven't lost too much just yet. Players like Hodko & Tasi might even come back one day, who knows?

Darren link said:

Used to have lots of Sharks kids (Endeavour high) seems no more (broke)!! Dogs is interesting having 4 kids picked, more than usual Panthers/Parra. Not as many from Keebra park QLD (Tigers) There doesn't seem to be any big point pouring big dollars into scholarships if another club offers big dough to a junior anyway. eg JHW, Tony Williams

We do have some good kids coming from 16's. Cromer won the State titles again so hoping we have some local kids come thru.

Generally speaking mate, you'll find The Northern Beaches a Private School dominated area (meaning kids are brought up playing Rugby Union). If you watch the Arrive Alive Cup for example, it would be very rare for you to see Nth Beaches schools included in such.

Canteen Worker is probably the man to talk about why less junior kids are around mate.

That being said, we have found some absolute doozies irrespective of us being included in schoolboy footy.

Examples are The Stewart brothers. Steve Matai. Other players like that, that have never played for another club in grade.

One thing I have faith in, is Crushers ability to uncover a pearl in the rough every few years. More recently, we had the ability to pilfer Whare (and I know he played grade for another club), but he's ultra young, and a standout.

We have also gone out of our way to get Daniel Harrison back.

Then you can look at our standings in the NYC these past two years. We haven't been faring too poorly.

Young player acquisition never seems to be the problem for us imo. It's more retention, and the ability to acquire more experienced players that seems to be a little flat.

Examples are that we need / miss aggressive, mobile forwards, but are unable to produce / attain any at present. I'd make a run at Matt Prior (by doing a deal with The Dragons), who I'm SURE needs cap space (in a trade type scenario). If Matai re-signs for say 3-4 years, maybe trade them Whare back??? That gives us a little additional cap space as well.

Take a shot at maybe a Jeremy Smith or Luke O'Donnell (cap permitting).  

Not convinced that Tasi has what it takes to make NRL standard as a lot of polynesian kids standout in toyota cup because of their size.  They should scrap this competition in its current format and go back to an open age reserve grade team.

To me he doesn't have the work rate/ethic to make NRL as he does very little in defence the games that i have watched him.

He seems to have modelled his play on crusher - bludge in defence and then look good in attack because he hasn't expended much energy in tackling.

The roosters have bought a few of our promising juniors over the years (Zeb Tahwa, hopoate) and none have progressed.  I have a feeling that Tasi will be another one.

I reckon we are 1 dynamic rip into em forward away from being top 2 again!! Maybe Choc will start blitzing again!! Imagine having a Burgess in the team, we would be top drawer!!

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Where is Tasi from? I know where Hargreaves was from, he was recruited and we paid fair $$ for him. We also recruited a number of other promising young players from other clubs (some on fair $$, some cheap) including Hodkinson, David and Tony Williams, Buhrer, etc. We recruit players from elsewhere and others recruit from us.

It is a big downside of the current system that clubs develop young players and then when they show some talent the club can't afford to retain them. All clubs are in the same boat really (except Melbourne) but it is hard on fans who want to watch the next generation of club heroes coming through.

This is an issue that won't get addressed at least until there is an IC. Meanwhile it's a matter of timing and planning and it's up to clubs to be very skilful jugglers. Hargreaves would probably have been in our NRL forward rotation this year if we still had him, probably ahead of Cross, but apart from that we haven't lost too much just yet. Players like Hodko & Tasi might even come back one day, who knows?

I don't know if its true but I heard one of the commentators on radio say that melbourne had the entire junior kangaroos squad from one given year on their books.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:

Lama is from Ipswich outside Brisbane. I have seen nearly half of the Toyota Cup games this year an quite a ew of last years.

I would certainly rate Lama ahead of James Cunningham and I believe the recruitment team rate him highly. They offered him a top squad contract and were devastated that he didn't resign.

Lama has more speed and feet work than James does.

Darren link said:

Gary Riccardi's younger brother Iain made the team.

very true Ernie, I did see Riccardi's brother named as well!! Lama moves very well. Did you see Ricky Stuarts comments in todays tele about keeping top kids as real important for a clubs growth. The problem now is we need forwards but so do 5 other clubs. Go thru the unsigned lists and not much there!! The kids are the value losing JHW and Tasi is problematic.

Well, I guess if he's gone to The Roosters, he's from "Whothehellgivesa**** Ridge". Next to all the other faggy looking Metro sexual's at that club.

He might go onto great things like Jack Elsegood did once he became a Rooster.....

LoL

Watched Fred Lang-Siu play U20's for the Eels a few weeks ago and was impressed with him. Apparently played in the SG Ball this year as well

Darren link said:
very true Ernie, I did see Riccardi's brother named as well!! Lama moves very well. Did you see Ricky Stuarts comments in todays tele about keeping top kids as real important for a clubs growth. The problem now is we need forwards but so do 5 other clubs. Go thru the unsigned lists and not much there!! The kids are the value losing JHW and Tasi is problematic.

I thought the article was more about the need to retain experienced older players as the "kids" were getting spoiled...and that clubs had to take a punt on kids rather than an experinced player

If the club could dig up another Glen Hall type player I would be happy

Darren link said:

Darren, do you have the full list?  Was there any kids from WA in the team?

Just Curious

Cheers

Staff online

• Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10