CQ bid team kicks goals in Sydney

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
When Hetherington was coaching the Capra's, he had many long discussions with Gus about connecting CQ with the Panthers. Gus, like him or not is no fool. I suggested it many, many times....I wish Manly would connect with CQ and start delivering some of our young talent down there. Sigh...

RUGBY LEAGUE: CENTRAL Queensland could soon provide the blueprint for junior player development in the NRL.

Rugby league authorities in Sydney, including Phil "Gus" Gould, were glowing in their praise of the CQ NRL Bid development program after a successful tour by the under-15 team at the weekend.

The CQ NRL Bid team held the premiership-winning Penrith Panthers' junior development team to a 10-all draw on Friday night and thrashed the Parramatta Eels 42-16 on Sunday.

CQ NRL Bid development manager Ian Webster could hardly contain his excitement yesterday as he emphasised the significance of the weekend's events.

And he is hopeful the Sydney visit could result in reciprocal tours from Penrith and Parramatta which could become an annual event.

"We have made some pretty strong ties with some pretty influential people in the NRL who couldn't believe where we are at and what we are doing," Webster said.

"We had very encouraging messages from Phil Gould himself about how impressed they were with the squad.

"They are keen to replicate what we have done and come up and see us next year.

"It is amazing to think that such strong junior development bases are looking to do what we're doing and copy our model.

"That is a really, really big honour.

"The perfect outcome from this now is that we attract NRL systems to our territory to play against our teams on our turf."

Webster said he would in the next week complete a review of the tour and a cost breakdown, which he would forward to Gould (Panthers' general manager) and Daniel Anderson (Parramatta general manager), along with an invitation for the league bosses to bring their junior development teams to CQ next year.

"We are hoping to make it a yearly event where they come to us and we go to them on alternate years," he said.

Webster paid special tribute to the sponsors who had made the tour possible.

He said the 18 members of the CQ NRL Bid under-15 team were "over the moon" - and rightly so.

"Every single kid on this tour was brilliant. They have done their families, their schools, their region proud," Webster said.

"They went to the strongest development squad in Australia, the Penrith Panthers, and drew 10-all.

"They were very unlucky not to win; they were in charge for the whole game.

"On Sunday, we went to Parramatta and won 42-16. That was quite a score."

Webster is confident the team's strong showing will help bolster Central Queensland's push for an NRL team.

"The whole of Sydney are talking about us.

"It's going to make the NRL stand up and reconsider what's going on here," he said.

"They have to take us seriously now."

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.a...cks-goals-in-sydney-cq-juniors-make-/2820031/

F... me, that's exactly what Manly was trying to do with the Sunshine Coast until the NRL put the kybosh on it. It was the perfect 'sustainable' model for an NRL team and for the NRL long term. Canberra also realised it and Melbourne also realised it, but the stupid incompetent management of NRL thought they'd get more rights from a NSW Cup competition.

Whoever originated the idea at Manly deserves a lot of credit as it worked well.

my cousin played for penrith in that game. They reckon the CQ front rower was a gun and penrith wanted to try and bring him down. Also heard that the kids had to pay for the whole trip themselves@:eek:

That's so true, we spoke about nothing else all day as a matter of fact

Pretty sure that was a spelling mistake. It was supposed to say, "The hole of Sydney are talking about us". It was big news in rabbit territory apparently.

Still, it doesn't say much for the state of NSW rugby league does it? They may have to go way back to junior footy to fix the problem. Whatever that is.

Still, it doesn't say much for the state of NSW rugby league does it? They may have to go way back to junior footy to fix the problem. Whatever that is.
Aren't the NSW junior reps up to U20s, beating QLD regularly?

Maybe the CQ wins were because most of the Panthers and Eels players return to full-time juvi once the season is finished, leaving them to scratch around for a side to play.

F... me, that's exactly what Manly was trying to do with the Sunshine Coast until the NRL put the kybosh on it. It was the perfect 'sustainable' model for an NRL team and for the NRL long term. Canberra also realised it and Melbourne also realised it, but the stupid incompetent management of NRL thought they'd get more rights from a NSW Cup competition.

Whoever originated the idea at Manly deserves a lot of credit as it worked well.
I think that was the NSWRL, not the NRL.

i agree, just saying that they are one of the best junior teams in sydney/aus. Obviously due to the massive nursery they have, i'm pretty sure theyve won about 19 titles. Still crap in fg though

I think it's because the good players coming through their system promptly move up from the feeder club to play for Manly, as Parra spend their cash on fallen (or imminently falling) Manly stars.

Maybe I'm just saying this because I don't live in NSW or Qld, but the NRL should really take a page from the AFL's book and look outside of their own backyard when it comes to future expansion.

Trust me on this, one of the biggest jokes in AFL territory about rugby league in this country is the use of the word National in the National Rugby League. Apart from the obvious in that there is a NZ based team and has been for 20 years, if it isn't in NSW, Qld or at worst Melbourne, the NRL seem to think that it doesn't exist save for one game per year in both Perth and Darwin.

In 1982 the VFL (as it was then) took a big gamble and moved South Melbourne to Sydney where they became the Swans and that ruffled more than a few feathers at Phillip Street, especially given that the SCG was then considered the home of rugby league in Sydney. Then in 1987 when they allowed a team from Perth they took another gamble and put a team on the Gold Coast (the original Brisbane Bears). Now 28 years later there are two teams in Sydney and two in SE Qld. And why do those clubs survive in what is considered the heart of rugby territory? Because the AFL, those clubs and their broadcaster Ch.7 are on the front foot promoting their game and because they actually support those clubs and don't abandon them when things get tough.

Perth should have a team before there is another admitted or re-admitted (Bears) from in or around Sydney and before there is another team in Qld, though I do agree that Brisbane needs another team to curtail the Donkeys monopoly. Adelaide at some point should also have its own team again. And like the AFL does with the newer clubs GWS and the Suns, the NRL should actively support those teams and not abandon them like happened with or as a result of the Super League fiasco.

From an outsiders point of view, rugby league in this country will never grow while those who run the game here think that there is nothing west of the NSW, Qld and Victorian borders.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6