Could Manly miss the 8?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Making the 8 isn't important if as appears we would be making up the numbers. The thing that concerns me is next season we surely have salary cap space but seem to have done little to improve our side. Frank got a 2 year extension that is a joke.

The 8 is important mate, not just for experience as the majority of the team haven't played finals football, but you'll find financially some sponsors etc will provide financial bonuses etc for finals appearances.

From what Barrett said in an earlier podcast they are holding their cards and hoping that when next year's cap is released some clubs have to shed players on the cheap.

We have enough individual talent there but the whole team needs to play consistently well for 80 minutes. I'm not convinced that we can do that after leaking so many points. The last few games have shown how well we can play in patches but how woeful we can also be. Very disappointing after the promising turn in form of the team and some individual players from early on in the season. We'll probably make the 8. IMO there is no use being in the eighth if your just making up the numbers. A solid display next week is crucial to turn the momentum around. Still love the eagles!

Not sure we can make the 8 now......!

Since that contrived loss to the Riff, we have not really been looking the goods. Something, or a number of somethings have happened to affect our team morale, effort, defence, general skills, etc and I don't know what!!

What a roller coaster, not much hope at beginning of season of going anywhere near the finals, then some hope started to creep in, then some major hope about a month ago and now not much hope at all for the end...!
It did seem to all unravel after that loss to the Panthers.

Will Manly miss the 8 ?
Answer =
= Will our under performing players dramatically improve from the 90+ points defeat in the last 2 weeks ?

Penrith are on 24 points with the below draw.

Tigers H , Cowboys H, Raiders A, Dragons H, Manly A.

How many do we think they win from those?

One team will sneak into the 8 on 30 due to FA.
Here are the list of teams from 28 to 24 points including current FA and remaining games.
Donkeys 28 (84) Tits, Sharks, Drags, Sqeals, Cows
Cows 28 (62) Storm, Panthers, Sharks, Tigpies, Broncs
Parra 28 (-4) Dogs, Knights, Titans, Broncs, Bunnies
Manly 26 (23 -grrrrrrrr!) Roosters, Tigpies, Dogs, Warriors, Panthers
Drags 24 (75) Bunnies, Titans, Broncs, Panthers, Dogs
Panthers 24 (37) Tigpies, Cows, Raiders, Dragons, Sea Eagles

Donkey's draw is reasonably challenging.
Cows draw is tough but their FA is strong.
Parra's draw looks easy but there could be a few surprise upsets.
Manly - 2 weeks ago I would have thought fairly easy but we're up against it now. Lots of work to be done!
Drags - can be hot and cold but have a fairly easy ride excepts for donkeys and panthers.
Panthers - They should beat the tigpies but the other four games are anybodies.

Also the silly season will kick in and the bottom teams will be busting a gut to keep teams out of the 8 and set themselves up for next year.

Our team needs to dig deep. I can see us dropping out and creeping back in.
A win over the chooks will restore some faith but man it's been a rough two weeks.
Anyways. Chin up. Go Manly!

If we don't win against the Chooks this week we won't make the 8, it will put us in 9th position and then we are hoping for other teams to lose for the remaining 4 rounds. It all has to start this Sunday with a WIN.

Look if we hit 32 points, 14 games wins for the season (with two byes), I would not have thought we would come close to that at the start of the season.

Essentially it would be extremely bad luck if we miss out with that given 32 would generally get you closer to top 4 than missing out on the 8.

If we miss the finals Barret should resign! Why would you rest players for a game that if those players play we could have won.Now we get flogged by Cameron Untouchable and his salary cap breaking friends and have now lost all our confidence .I think Barret still got a soft spot for the Dragons how else can you explain his stupidity.

If we miss the finals Barret should resign! Why would you rest players for a game that if those players play we could have won.Now we get flogged by Cameron Untouchable and his salary cap breaking friends and have now lost all our confidence .I think Barret still got a soft spot for the Dragons how else can you explain his stupidity.

Blake Green confirmed that they were rested and were carrying injuries mate. Said if he was able to play that day he would have.

Do you honestly see dragons (Rabbits, Titans, Broncos, Panthers Dogs) or Panthers (Tigers, Cowboys, Raiders, Dragons, Manly) winning 4 from 5? I don't. Maybe one of them but not both.
So realistically one of them finishes with 3 wins. That means that to be on equal points we finish with 2 wins and it's down to for and against.

We win 3 from 5 and we are all but guaranteed a position in the 8 in my opinion.

Cmon Manly. Turn it around!

Ohh I'm with you mate! I don't see either dropping just the one game. In saying that if somehow they do and we reach 32 and miss out it's extremely bad luck based on past seasons.

We have leaked 16 tries and conceded over 90 points in our last two hit outs
Can we make the 8 ?
The answer is =
It depends wether our last two horrific losses were .....
(A) A Cough ?
or
(B) A Choke ?
Our team and our coach are the only ones that can give us the answer in our next game against the Roosters
In the mean time . Its time to clear our throats feathered friends
images.jpg

Agreed.
But to be honest I have all 3 of us getting 3 from 5. And the ladder remains unchanged apart from for and against for 8th and 9th.

If we only win 2 of 5, then it gets interesting. Then our 92 points in 2 weeks comes back to haunt us.

But all that said, the way we have been playing we may not win another game so who knows. We've gotta turn it around. Cmon boys! Find something!
The 'Boys are not certainties, either. They are on 28 points, to play Storm, Panthers, Sharks, Tigers and Broncos. The only 'sure' win would be against the Tigers. Likewise, the Broncos have a tough draw, with upcoming games against Titans, Sharks, Dragons, Eels and Cowboys. Again, you'd only pencil in one 'certain' win there, against the Titans.
There is going to be a lot of twists and turns before the eight is finalised.
Mind you, if Melbourne plays to its potential the grand final should be a foregone conclusion.

The 'Boys are not certainties, either. They are on 28 points, to play Storm, Panthers, Sharks, Tigers and Broncos. The only 'sure' win would be against the Tigers. Likewise, the Broncos have a tough draw, with upcoming games against Titans, Sharks, Dragons, Eels and Cowboys. Again, you'd only pencil in one 'certain' win there, against the Titans.
There is going to be a lot of twists and turns before the eight is finalised.
Mind you, if Melbourne plays to its potential the grand final should be a foregone conclusion.

This is the thing, after this week we come into a more favourable part of our draw, the next 3 weeks after the roosters game, while other teams like the cowboys and broncos face tougher opponents.

We really in the end just need to focus on ourselves really, if we get one win I can see us going on a small run but that is the thing getting that win is going to be very hard, with the attitude and the way we are playing right now.

Really if we miss the 8 from here it will be a very disappointing end to the season, but with 5 rounds to go our destiny is in our own hands.

Last edited:
If you guys can just win enough to get into the 8 I think you will be a very dangerous side.
At your best you guys have shown this year you can beat anyone, the form you showed a month or so ago wasn't a fluke.
Jake.T, Tommy Turbo, DCE, Marty just to list a few if they find form at the right time will be very hard to beat.
Apart from the Melbourne Scum all sides have been fairly inconsistent make the 8 and who knows what happens!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -60 8