Cocaine scandal that almost killed off Titans has helped them sign ace half-back Daly Cherry-Evans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wonder how DCE is going to explain this to his kids?

"You know that white powder your Uncle Ben loves so much... well next time you see him you should thank him because it has made us all rich!"

So the NRL is in charge of both the competition and clubs simultaneously ?

If anyone can explain how this is different from a politician who hands out mining licenses being the owner of a mining company, I'd be interested to hear it.

Just when you think the NRL can't possibly be a bigger joke than it already is, **** me if they don't just prove us all wrong.

One thing I know for sure, number 7 (he's lost the right to be called by name) is going to regret the move in a footballing sense. At least he'll have his money to cry into.

Yep that's how I'm reading this if the timeline is correct. How was Mathiou telling Orr bloody oath we can ( afford him) when they were supposedly already broke?
Because the Titans were in talks with the NRL last year about the takeover. The coke scandal just hurried the inevitable announcement and also because the NRL were going to miss out on $CE if they didn't publicly announce it. Also I was speaking to a Titans sponsor last night who said that $CE will actually earn around $6 million over the 4 yrs because of the 3rd party deals the NRL has lined up for him. I was there with some Tigers supporters and they were saying this whole thing stinks. No one has any pity for Manly but they just feel it's a corrupt rigged competition.

As much as I don't like it, if got an offer from another company to work there and still get paid even if they shutdown, I'd be like see-ya later old job. Unfortunately this has happened to Manly.

that bit doesn't surprise me one little bit, he can negotiate a new deal as soon as the new t.v. deal is done to get another increase.
i was under the impression it was ore's doing chasing the money all the time but now who knows, maybe they are tarred with the same brush.
D.C.E. = Desires Cash Escalation

Thing with this clause, the SECOND a new qld franchise is announced he will be out of the Titans and the NRL know this, that's why they are making the big moves now. Another 2-3 years at Manly and he may have settled into that 'one club for life' mentality with the family firmly set locally as kids hit school age.

New franchise will have some kind of salary cap exemptions for their inaugral marquee player / Captain. So he's pocketing an easy few mill in a 'rebuilding' team where the goal of 'success' isn't immediate, nor is the pressure on. Holding pattern so to speak, then he'll jump ship to become the face of the new franchise where the money and 3rd party deals will rise even further, only then will the 'expectation' be there, so its a 2-3 year holiday from the 'pressure'.

Like the negotaition process did, it's going to do more damage to this 'brand' he his trying to build. His signing is going to force some out, others may not get increased offers due to cap hogging. His 'say' in recruitment, is going to put some offside, it's clear he doesn't have a lot of 'friends' at Manly, and you can bet GC players have been on the blower (or is that blow?) to Manly players asking about him. They aren't dumb.

Despite the doom and gloom around at the moment, I think Manly are the ones who will most benefit from his leaving.

Hopefully the outrage here is converting into emails/letters to nrl HQ!

Sorry - tweets, who writes email anymore these days?!?!?!?!

what happened to all the empty vials and needles they found? Was that investigated?

Thing with this clause, the SECOND a new qld franchise is announced he will be out of the Titans and the NRL know this, that's why they are making the big moves now. Another 2-3 years at Manly and he may have settled into that 'one club for life' mentality with the family firmly set locally as kids hit school age.

New franchise will have some kind of salary cap exemptions for their inaugral marquee player / Captain. So he's pocketing an easy few mill in a 'rebuilding' team where the goal of 'success' isn't immediate, nor is the pressure on. Holding pattern so to speak, then he'll jump ship to become the face of the new franchise where the money and 3rd party deals will rise even further, only then will the 'expectation' be there, so its a 2-3 year holiday from the 'pressure'.

Like the negotaition process did, it's going to do more damage to this 'brand' he his trying to build. His signing is going to force some out, others may not get increased offers due to cap hogging. His 'say' in recruitment, is going to put some offside, it's clear he doesn't have a lot of 'friends' at Manly, and you can bet GC players have been on the blower (or is that blow?) to Manly players asking about him. They aren't dumb.

Despite the doom and gloom around at the moment, I think Manly are the ones who will most benefit from his leaving.
Hopefully his "brand" will be trashed like everything else that comes out of league on the GC. 3 -4 years of failure and hopefully it'll be $CE who ?

I assume Joe Kelly is getting legal advice about the NRL conflict of interest/fiduciary breach. As governing body, the NRL in acting for the interests of the game (ie maintaining its media contract etc) must still not act for the benefit of one club to the detriment of the other. From what I've read, the NRL didn't even inform Manly of its intervention when it ensured DCE's management that the Titans' survival will be ensured. Not only an apparent conflict of interest here - arguably looks to be a real conflict.

Joes an ex CFO. I'm sure he is au fait with the legalities around insolvency.

The seeds for the great DCE heist were planted in November, shortly after Mathiou signed on as Titans recruitment boss.

A former North Sydney and Cowboys forward who worked under Roosters godfather Nick Politis as the club’s Queensland-based talent spotter, Mathiou went for the jugular.

A no-nonsense operator who calls a spade a shovel, Mathiou, working a year ahead, scanned a list of off-contract players for 2016.

Mathiou sounds like an utter scum bag and well what can you say when your work history involves Roosters brown paper bag man Politis as a previous boss.

Seriously this $CE deal is as dirty as dirt, and that's dirty.

"Hey Todd, so I know we are broke but we really want this guy. If we offer him a contract we can't actually pay, you guys can spot us right?"

"Does the player currently play for the Bulldogs or Souths?"

"No. Manly."

"How much do you want?"

It may sound like sour grapes but I'm actually glad the guy is going. I acknowledge his football skills but I never warmed to the bloke. He always gave me the feeling of being "more precious" than his team mates.
Our solidarity is what made us stand apart from the rest and we can start that rebuilding process as soon as this blokes out the door.

All I can say after reading this is if the Manly management has ANY balls, he will never play first grade in our colours again .

Negotiate a deal for him to move immediately and send us Sezer in return.

Not the greatest player ever but at least we would have a first grade half with some experience .

This is a sickening read , and I'm afraid it's " almost" the nail in the coffin for me and the game.

I have better things to do with what's left of my life than to spend it churned up over this ****!!

At the end of the day, the titans offered DCE a contract before the NRL intervened, and he was seriously considering it, because he flew to their HQ to discuss it. The Gold Coast have been borrowing money for years to pay contracts, but without the NRL, eventually the debt gets too big and the club folds. They were willing to take that gamble, but didn't need to in the end because the NRL stepped in.

The NRL have simply guaranteed that all contracts will be paid etc and the financial obligations of the club will be met.

I'm not sticking up for the NRL, but DCE is responsible for leaving, not the NRL, because all it took was a guarantee that D$C$E would get his money, and he was gone!

All I can say after reading this is if the Manly management has ANY balls, he will never play first grade in our colours again .

Negotiate a deal for him to move immediately and send us Sezer in return.

Not the greatest player ever but at least we would have a first grade half with some experience .

This is a sickening read , and I'm afraid it's " almost" the nail in the coffin for me and the game.

I have better things to do with what's left of my life than to spend it churned up over this ****!!
Can't blame you mate. It's no longer the game we grew up with. It's now a manufactured product churned out to appeal to the moron masses and run to the tune of the Gen Y & Gen Z it's all about me generation. It's now Maccas league.

That's the point the NRL needs to grasp. This type of stuff totally disillusions fans who invest huge emotional capital in players like DCE only to find that the players don't really give a stuff about the club - only the fans do. Fans question what's the point in caring if the players don't. We're the only ones who get riled up about the merry go round of player transfers. Just a business to the players these days - not their fault i suppose but there is still room for them to act morally - the DCE saga fails the pub test - at least pubs on the northern beaches that is

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6