Cherry's Long Term Future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Frogz said:
I think we underestimate the Sea Eagles ability to keep who they want.....DCE will stay and if he doesn't, well life at Manly will go on...

My tip DEC will stay forever

But what will DCE do?

If Hodkinson had stayed.....interesting question. Could have played him and DCE in the halves and had Foz at centre. But we already had Killer and Stevie there....

Damn, I'm glad he signed with the Dogs.

The big problem I see with 3rd party payments is that it gives a club like Brisbane a leg up on the rest of the competition. Because they have no other league clubs in the city trying to get sponsorship money they do have a virtual monopoly in the market. That gives them a much better opportunity to be able to secure more money outside of the salary cap to throw at players like Cam Smith or DCE than any other club on Australian soil. Unfortunately though, with player payments like they are (and they'll continue to grow), third party payments are a must because clubs alone couldn't afford the talent some of them have.

In saying all that I hope that DCE is still at Manly when he announces his retirement from playing in 10-15 years time.

Masked Eagle said:
I know he has plenty of reasons to stay (culture, great club, mates, mrs family, etc) but I get the feeling the Broncos will go close to making him the highest paid player in the game. I don't think we will need to match it, but we wouldn't want to be too far away from it.

I hope we don't do that. North Qld is an example of what happens to a team when you pay one player so much money. North Qld would have been better off letting Thurston go and investing in someone like Aiden Sezer at 5/8th with Lui as the halfback.

To have the highest paid NRL player in your team is foolish IMO.

If Manly want him guys, he'll stay. We have a great culture, a great club, and a team that wins. Players that ARE forced to go elsewhere are always very upset (see Kite). Also, the back ended contracts will be finishing up by then.

Ralphie said:
Masked Eagle said:
I know he has plenty of reasons to stay (culture, great club, mates, mrs family, etc) but I get the feeling the Broncos will go close to making him the highest paid player in the game. I don't think we will need to match it, but we wouldn't want to be too far away from it.

I hope we don't do that. North Qld is an example of what happens to a team when you pay one player so much money. North Qld would have been better off letting Thurston go and investing in someone like Aiden Sezer at 5/8th with Lui as the halfback.

That's a way too simplistic view of things. I would suggest the lack of success at the Cowboys isn't so much with their pay structure because they still have enough talent there. Bigger problems for them have been injuries, coaching, recruitment and general club culture.

The Foran/DCE combination if kept together could go down as one of the games greatest ever and I've got no issues with spending a bit more on both to keep them together. Our recruitment guys just have to keep finding diamonds in the rough and our coaching staff continue to get the best out of them and that will be a better recipe of success then letting DCE go because we were afraid of paying him too much. I'm not saying we need to match it dollar for dollar, but it would be unrealistic for him to stay with us unless we got in the same ball park.

Masked Eagle said:
Ralphie said:
Masked Eagle said:

That's a way too simplistic view of things. I would suggest the lack of success at the Cowboys isn't so much with their pay structure because they still have enough talent there. Bigger problems for them have been injuries, coaching, recruitment and general club culture.

The Foran/DCE combination if kept together could go down as one of the games greatest ever and I've got no issues with spending a bit more on both to keep them together. Our recruitment guys just have to keep finding diamonds in the rough and our coaching staff continue to get the best out of them and that will be a better recipe of success then letting DCE go because we were afraid of paying him too much. I'm not saying we need to match it dollar for dollar, but it would be unrealistic for him to stay with us unless we got in the same ball park.

They've had one of the best halves and two of the best props, but struggle to get into the 8 most years. It means they have all their eggs in a few baskets, and have journeymen in many other positions. They have struggled at hooker, and had no real back-up for Bowen who was injured a lot in recent times.

Shoe1 said:
Masked Eagle said:
Ralphie said:
Masked Eagle said:

They've had one of the best halves and two of the best props, but struggle to get into the 8 most years. It means they have all their eggs in a few baskets, and have journeymen in many other positions. They have struggled at hooker, and had no real back-up for Bowen who was injured a lot in recent times.

They've also got a potentially great backrow with Sims and Taumalolo and a handy bunch of outside backs. They've tried to replace Payne but just done a horrible job of doing it, they signed a rubbish pom and have rotated some halfbacks through the job. IMO they had more then enough space in the cap to fill those spaces they are lacking in adequately, its been other things that have caused their problems, not how much they are paying JT.

As I didn't want to dampen GF Week, I resisted posting this until now. DCE was seen on the Gold Coast for a few days in the week leading up to the Souths Semi-Final. Perhaps Manly were aware of this, perhaps not. Make of that what you will.

I think Cherry's ascendancy within the Australian team is fantastic! I hope Cherry feels that it is playing as part of a dominant team that has helped his chances of State and International selection.

I know a lot of us on here don't like the Manly boys playing Origin/Tests etc. I love it. Personally I think it's great to see the boys being recognized.....especially if that is part of their goals and dreams. Case in point being Jamie, if the player doesn't want to play then that's fine also.

I've always been of the belief to have a financially balanced side with depth it will be best to keep only one. Great players and yes would love to see them keep playing together but if push comes to shove would keep Foz.

If we cant afford...ECD, sorry..DEc...ooops....DCE, Souffs couldn't keep all the BUrgeseessses + Inglis.....Melbourne couldn't keep there mongels...etc etc....

He will stay

I'll say it again. Very simple problem to solve.

Our clubs no 1 priority should be to put together legitimate, ridiculously massive and career length third party deals for both our halves.

Get to it Manly! A nice touch would be to announce just before round 1 2014 kick off.

whatever, whatever and whatever
DCE is clearly a massive talent and being groomed for superstardom in the NRL. he is a great dude, articulate and a genuine guy. I reckon he seems to have integrity in public and he clearly really loves the lap of honour when we win at Brookie. he won't forget when the Broncos didn't want to know him when he was trying to break through - how could he? the possible lure of big coin may change his mindset, but firstly, there's no Brisbane offer on the table and if there was I reckon he will stay at Manly and partner with Foz. but if did go = whatever. no player is bigger than Manly.

Here's hoping that the boys, the club, the comradely, the Manly Way and the opportunity to carve a successful long term damaging halves pairing with Foz will keep him here! :) Here's hoping he's not another SBW who just chases the money and is someone with morals and some club loyalty!
Here's also hoping the club do everything they can to keep a hold of him too!! :)

Read his Horoscope, he will be staying at manly.

Saw an interperative dance about it and he will win 2 more premierships whilst at manly

DCE selected to play 5/8 in the Irish game. This will no doubt increase his value.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4