Cecchin's Apology to Beaver

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
In the latest Northern Beaches Review, Adam Lucius writes in his Inside Back column the following titled "Beaver's Pardon":

It may have come 18 years too late but retiring NRL referee Matt Cecchin has finally apologised for sin-binning Manly cleanskin Steve Menzies back in 2003. It was only the second time in Menzies' storied 520-game career he was sent from the field.
"It was a game between Souths and Manly at Brookie and it was bucketing down with rain and I ended up sin-binning Menzies and 'Fletch' (Souths' Bryan Fletcher)" Cecchin told SEN Radio's Matt White. "I looked back at that game recently and cringed at how I was. I have to apologise for the way I was in the first chunk of my career - it was all about me. There are a lot of apologies that I owe to people (from) the past."
Menzies was happy to accept Cecchin's belated apology. A tongue-in-cheek Beaver told Inside Back: "It's nice to hear I didn't deserve to be sent off because it wasn't that bad. All I said was 'you're having a good game, sir' and he sent me to the bin. What's wrong with that? It was a compliment."
Despite the sin binning, Manly won 28-20 on the back of tries to Tony Jensen, Anthony Watmough and Kevin McGuinness and eight goals from Ben Walker.

It seems Cecchin had a bit of a guilty conscience when retiring. Me thinks better late than never, at least he's apologised to Beaver. Well done to him.

Seriously though , dislike him or not , Manly should do a Melbourne Storm and employ him to help us during games like they do with Sutton.

I heard a very interesting story today from an old friend ( who has very direct connections to Bernie ) about how he’s involved with the Storm.

I really can’t say much more as it’s information I probably shouldn’t share but all I can say is Manly should do it too!!

Last edited:
I feel sorry for referees. They're in a position where they just can't win. Personally, I don't buy into conspiracy theories about teams being favoured or bias against certain clubs, etc. I think they go out and do the best job they can. They're human. They get it wrong at times. If anything, I think the NRL are more culpable than the referees for constantly moving the goal posts every time the media drive an agenda. That's why there is so much indecision in the refereeing ranks.

I too blame the NRL for the short comings in our refereeing, match review decisions and judiciary insistency. Firstly the rules should clear and stable from pre season to full time on grand final day. The rules have been unnecessarily complicated. Secondly, referees should not be allowed to interpret the rules but rather be told how they are to be interpreted and applied. What ever happened to trying to limit the referees involvement and impact on the game? We have gone in an opposite direction.

Seriously though , dislike him or not , Manly should do a Melbourne Storm and employ him to help us during games like they do with Sutton.

I heard a very interesting story today from an old friend ( who has very direct connections to Bernie ) about how he’s involved with the Storm.

I really can’t say much more as it’s information I probably shouldn’t share but all I can say is Manly should do it too!!
Not a bad idea Mark. The Tigpies have badger, not that it helped them in anyway lol

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8