1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broncos Team

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by DVS Matt, Jul 31, 2007.

1. DVS Matt

DVS Matt Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    TEAM TO PLAY MANLY ON SUNDAY:

Darius Boyd
    Steve Michaels
    Nick Emmett
    Justin Hodges
    Craig Frawley
    Tonie Carroll
    Shane Perry
    Ben Hannant
    Shaun Berrigan
    Petero Civoniceva ©
    Corey Parker
    Brad Thorn
    Greg Eastwood
    Reserves:

Dane Carlaw
    Dave Taylor
    Ian Lacey
    Sam Thaiday

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,116 / 287
    Decent....but not the best if you ask me.

Without Tate, Hunt, Lockyer, their backline looks a lot weaker.

Apparently Lacey and Carroll may be no shows as well.

By the way - Lacey is my hero. Gives us little fellas hope !!! I'm actually a full centimetre taller than him !!!

3. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    It will be interesting to see if Hodges is passed fit to play. I thought Frawley was with Canberra?

I would love to see us beat them but they need the points and we have wrapped up second place!!!

4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,116 / 287
    Rubbish mate. We want 1st place, and I'm pretty sure The Storm play Eels, Dogs & Cowgirls still.

5. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    We should win this.

6. nodd

nodd Well-Known Member

hiding from the kids
    Ratings:
    +105 / 5
    We can't lose this one. Up here they're billing it as the 20th anniversary of the shellacking they gave us back in 88. I don't want to walk out of Lang Park this Sunday copping the same as I copped back in 88.

7. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Despite the injuries they can still field a sizeable lot of forwards. They lack skill however so if our guys can just "contain' their pack then our backs will do the rest.

8. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Frawley was with Canberra CW but he went back to Brisbane after last season.

9. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Their forward pack is still top class, and they laid the foundation for the win over Cronulla on the weekend. Can't afford to take them lightly, we need to muscle up and take it to them up the middle. Watch Berrigan closely as well.

10. Canteen Worker

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    Rubbish mate. We want 1st place, and I'm pretty sure The Storm play Eels, Dogs & Cowgirls still.
    [/quote]What benefit does winning the minor Premiership really give a team except winning the JJ Giltinan Shield that should rightly be given to the Premiers? You get to play 8th rather than 7th in the first week but apart from that, there is no benefit at all. It is all bragging rights and the last 20 years is littered with Minor Premiers who bombed out. I would rather fly under the Melbourne radar and have the opposition under-rate us than have to play up for the next five. We need to be fresh and ready, timing our run to play the tough games at the end of the season. If that means a loss or two in the next five weeks I am happy with that.

11. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    The Minor Premiership is good for 1 thing only, the $100k which comes with it. Apart from that coming 1st or 2nd means stuff all.

12. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    I must add the $100k is pretty important for us considering we had a funding cut from the leagues club, I know the company bean counter would be urging/praying for them to win it!!!!

13. Canteen Worker

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I am sure the Melbourne accountant was ecstatic about last year's minor premiership??? :lie:

Point taken but what do you get for the comp? Sponsorship, merchandise, plus general interest would much outweigh the Minor Premiership.

Question - Name the minor Premiers in the 2000s.

14. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    I understand your point completely but $100k in the bank is nothing to be sneezed at when you are making a loss. As I said it is the only thing which makes it worthwhile over 2nd.

Only one I know is Penrith in 03 as they won the comp that year, only team I think of who has.

15. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    From memory

2000 Broncos
    2001 Eels
    2002 Warriors
    2003 Penrith ?
    2004 Roosters
    2005 Eels
    2006 Storm

16. ants

ants Active Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    I think I read somewhere that only one minor premier in the last six years has gone on to win the premiership.

Would be interesting if someone could find this out, or even where the eventual winner was placed at the end of regular season play.

17. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Just found a site and checked it up, that Minor premier list was correct

Where the winners have come from since the NRL started in 1998

1998- Broncos 1st
    1999- Storm 3rd
    2000- Broncos 1st
    2001- Knights 3rd
    2002- Roosters 4th
    2003- Panthers 1st
    2004- Dogs 2nd
    2005- Tigers 4th
    2006- Broncos 3rd

18. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Good bench too. Taylor will prop the Queensland pack for the next decade.

19. Canteen Worker

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    Good list Kiwi. Bottom line is that the side playing the best footy at the money end of the season wins, not the minor premiers. We need to be up for the finals.

A new comp starts in 5 weeks called semis. All bets are off - form out the window, Just ask St G as they have looked Premiers the last years and fallen at the last hurdle. Manly have not won a Semi game since 1997!!

20. Nutzcraw

Nutzcraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    We NEED to keep watch on Shaun Jerrycan.... If he has a good game they will give us a scare... I'm glad Lyon will be marking Hodges this weekend. Go with their forwards and don't give Berrigan too much room to move and we should get away with a decent win.