Blame Toovey - You're joking right??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Sat on the sidelines about players wanting out, this bloke hates that bloke, internal bickering & so on...
The last straw for me is the crap about Toovey.
This bloke bleeds Maroon & White, lives for the club, is a local junior & calls it how it is.
He took over this team in its darkest hour & turned a rabble into a premiership force overnight.
His knowledge of the game as shown on the field far exceeds Hasler & his passion at least rivals Hasler with daylight third, an area NO other coaches outside these 2 can rival & the MOST important factor in winning the games that count.
Maybe Toovey is tough & direct with the players & not everyone likes that style, personally I like the fact he calls it how it is & if he has to make the big calls a few dont agree with - too bad, thats part of his job.
Certainly does not come across as a control freak who wants to be bigger than the Manly team, simply wants to lead it to success, unselfishly doing what it takes to be as strong as they can.
Noone is going to agree with anyone 100% unless they have to compromise there integrity, but every decision Toovey makes is what he believes is best for the club & only a fool would think he would ever betray Manly, thats good enough for me.
His results have been super, his ability to have this side compete under constant media barrage, major injuries & certain individuals creating internal issues I doubt anyone could have done any better.
The 1 certainty out of all these dramas is Toovey is the one man you can count on to step up in the tough times & would really love another premiership in 2015 to answer his critics....stick it to em champ!

Agree 100% Maxta.

The guy is a Manly legend, when we finally get an upgraded stadium, i will enjoy seeing the Toovey Stand, as much i like seeing Beaver and Bozo's name on their stand.

I was very glad to see him come out swinging overnight, my only wish was that he had done it about 2 months ago.

Well said maxta. I've also sat quiet with all that's going on and can't help but think the media, and some posters on this forum, have made the whole thing into more than it is.

I don't have any real issues with any party in the way things have been handled, or even the length time it is taking. We have two marquee players off contract that would attract some form of interest of possibly 10 or more clubs. These players and managers are entitled to listen to any offers these clubs are willing to put forward, a process which I would think could take a considerable amount of time as each club has to juggle their cap, which involves finalising other players contracts, in order to come up with an official offer. After all that is done, I would hope (and believe is the case) that Manly would be given the last crack. Given the story today that our 'best offers' have now been tabled, that appears to have happened. I would think we will see a resolution one way or the other before the season commences. So, taking into account waiting for each club to finalise an offer, then us to finalise offers, amidst ownership re-structure and hiring a new CEO, I'm not surprised it's taken this long.

As to the calls of some supporters to withdraw any offers because the players won't decide, I think these are ridiculous. They have the right to have all options finalised before making a decision. Criticism of the club is also a bit misguided IMO, due to the reasons outlined above. If either player chooses to sign with another club for 2016, so be it. I'll continue to support them while ever they wear the Maroon and White, and Manly will continue to be strong with or without them, but I don't begrudge them taking a better offer. To 'cut' them for signing elsewhere would be amateurish and cutting off your nose to spite your face. If roles were reversed, and we released them, and they went around bad-mouthing the club, we'd jump all over them. Watmough is a great example of this.

As for Toovey, he's been professional ever since taking over from Halser. I can't fathom that talk of him being replaced has any credence whatsoever, particularly in favour of Brad Arthur who, by all accounts is highly regarded, but has no runs on the board as far as head coach goes. If you believe what you read, the Penn faction are/were fans of Hasler and to be honest, I'm not completely against the idea of him coaching Manly again sometime in the future given the right circumstances, namely Toovey no longer wanted the job, or results had been so poor that a change in coach was needed. I don't see any of these things happening in the near future, and would be disappointed and maybe even voice that disappointment to the club. Would I hand in my membership? No. Just as I won't if Foran or Cherry-Evans sign elsewhere.

While it's good to have a mainly united board, I'm still on the fence as to whether the Penn's are the best option for the club, but time will tell.

Sorry if some of this was a bit off topic, I got on a bit of a roll there.

And we will find you>:)
images.jpg

Here here here! Best post in a long time.

I am the same, sick to death of Tooves being slammed by sections of the media. I've stated previously (and I don't know Tooves) that I feel if Tooves thought it was best for the Sea Eagles to resign, he would. He definitely cares about the club and wants to see it thrive. I'm sure he wants to be a part of it, but he wont bring the club down (like others) if he has been slighted by people.

I think he's the best person for the job, and his record over the last 3 years is sensational. The media who slags him off about his record were saying we'd be wooden spooners after the 2011 debacles with dogler. The media who slag him off (3 top 4 finishes in 3 years) have said we are too old and wont make the 8......

I'll always follow Manly. But if Tooves gets shafted I'll certainly be writing a letter to the Penns (or whoever) saying I think it's a disgrace and he deserves better.

If either player chooses to sign with another club for 2016, so be it. I'll continue to support them while ever they wear the Maroon and White, and Manly will continue to be strong with or without them, but I don't begrudge them taking a better offer. To 'cut' them for signing elsewhere would be amateurish and cutting off your nose to spite your face

Everyone knows you don't cut someone who has signed elsewhere, the correct way to punish them is to make them play NSW Cup. What better way to prove a point then to have one of your highest paid and most important player's running around in reserve grade soaking up a massive part of your salary cap and not doing anything to help your premiership aspirations . That'll learn 'em every time.

Good post by the way @mosto , you were on a roll ;) Agree with pretty much all you said there.

Good Post Maxta agree with you there . Toovey is the right man to move forward with . He can handle all that goes on at the club . remembering he was on the NRMA board when it was in a shambles with the rumblings that went on there and came through unscathed. Him and the players and club will come through unscathed again . circle the wagons and have another damn fine crack again im sure

The biggest load of crap was the rumour that Foran and Tooves don't get along...Foran sounded Toovey out as a friend and asked for some transparency regarding the board's decision on player movements; the media spun it into something sinister and many a moron picked it up and ran with it.

I wouldn't trade Tooves for the world. Loyalty is not a spent force in my eyes and Tooves has always put the club before himself...just look at photos of his face after the 1996 and 1997 grand finals! Anyone that'll put their body on the line like that for our club should always be treated with the utmost respect and dignity.

The day that we're leading comfortably in the Grand Final with the seconds counting down, and Toovey leaves his grandstand seat to walk down to the sideline with the camera right on him, will be the sweetest moment of all!

Go Toovey, Go Manly!

The day that we're leading comfortably in the Grand Final with the seconds counting down, and Toovey leaves his grandstand seat to walk down to the sideline with the camera right on him, will be the sweetest moment of all!

Go Toovey, Go Manly!

And he'll be doing that little smirk he does.
Will be a great moment.

If Geoffrey gets a little peeved some times at the players, then so be it.

Des ripped a door off in frustration once, but we all loved that passion about him ripping into our men.

Tooves has already had to make some tough calls on our roster and I for one think they have been correct.

Wayne Bennett got rid of an immortal and one the best players I have seen play the game in Wally (the dick) Lewis, to make room for the next generation. Although many on this site right off father Wayne. his record for the donkeys is the best of all the current coaches.

Tooves equals...Tough calls by a tough player that turned into a tough coach.

In Tooves I trust.

I don't agree completely with op. It's one thing having passion, ability, knowledge, skill etc - it's a completely different skill and ability to impart that to others. It's the old trap of "Mr X is **** hot at his job, therefor he will make a tops manager".

There are times over the last few years where I was not 100% convinced Tooves was the best for the job, but that doesn't mean he can't become the best. With that said he has done a great job especially considering the daily circus he faces.

Interested to see if Joe Kelly's sackings kill off the leaks.

Would love a stretch of just football related news on the club rather than the contrived drama...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4