Bill Harrigan on what constitutes a knock-back

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
With reference to the Brisbane vs Bulldogs game:

"It's spilt backwards. It goes back and he gets pushed back further than the ball. But it goes backwards. It's always going backwards. I am very comfortable with that decision, and I am very comfortable it wasn't checked because the referee was in a good position, and knew it was backwards, and ruled accordingly."

Harrigan declined to comment on Simpkins's decision to disallow a Michael Oldfield try in the second half of Manly's game in Townsville, reserving his judgment until the game review was completed.

One would think it is fairly open and shut given how quick he is to back his referee up in the Bulldogs situation?

Moore was angered by the decision to award a try to Gerard Beale, claiming it should have been sent to the video referee to review a possible Peter Wallace knock-on in the lead-up, but Harrigan said the officials got it right.

"The referee was standing right there," he said. "He knew it was a knock-back so he said play on, which is exactly what I'm asking them to do. I've watched it 100 times and I've watched that ball go backwards.

Harrigan said: "Coaches are allowed to make comments provided they do it the right way. If we've got it wrong, I will come out and say so."

Yeah I would say they will come out with some kind of technical reason that defies physics. It will like have something to do with the position of the sun relatives to the equinox and uranus

I reckon they will say that the ball was not knocked forward by Ashton Sims, but that our player knocked it into him. It's the only way they can weasel out of it.

Really, because there are only 4 games this weekend they can afford to step Simpkins down for a week and get away with it. I doubt they'll dock his pay though, or force him to make good what a loss means to the Manly club in hundreds of thousands.

Even if Harrigan says the ref got it wrong it won't give us the 2 points that we should have had. And nothing has been said about the guy who come in knees first on Hoppa.

Harrigan was'nt much chop as a video ref either. Remember his unbelievable decision on the Gasnier "try" when everybody except for him could clearly see it was a dropped ball. Things have'nt improved.

Simkins should get up and explain his decision like this...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkCQ8qR5-i0[/video]

Matabele said:
I reckon they will say that the ball was not knocked forward by Ashton Sims, but that our player knocked it into him. It's the only way they can weasel out of it.

Really, because there are only 4 games this weekend they can afford to step Simpkins down for a week and get away with it. I doubt they'll dock his pay though, or force him to make good what a loss means to the Manly club in hundreds of thousands.

They can't use that excuse because they packed the scrum at the point Lyon knocked it back didnt they

To be fair I didn't think it was head high Brissie. Just a hard tackle. The knock-back thing was a disgrace.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Matabele said:

They can't use that excuse because they packed the scrum at the point Lyon knocked it back didnt they

Only the eagle-eyed will recognise that. The media won't run with it. That's why these clowns get away with murder - only half the story gets told.

It was a slightly subtle play on words but slightly different to that

Didn't the on field ref also say to Lyon that they were going back to where his (Lyon) knock on occoured when lyon queried the decision? I think they will just come out and say they ****ed up and nothing else will happen. Typically!

The AFL has apologised to Sydney after the club was wrongly penalised for what was deemed to be an incorrect interchange late in Friday night's clash with Carlton at the SCG.

Carlton were leading by a point when they were awarded a free kick and 50-metre penalty after the interchange steward ruled that Sydney had 19 players on the ground.

Setanta O'Hailpin goaled to extend the margin to seven points and the Blues went on to win by 16.

But after reviewing down-the-ground footage, the umpiring department acknowledged a mistake had been made.

Coming out and publicly stating you got it wrong makes good sense. People are human. They will get things wrong and acknowledging when its wrong helps with correcting bad practices.

It will also help to eliminate fan perceptions that their team is being targeted by the officials.

So i dont understand why the refs boss doesnt just comes out and say so. Unless of course the officials are completely inept and an embarrassment.

He's probably just waiting for David Gallop to write a cleverly worded statement for him to read out justifying the action.

Just read harrigans run down

Unanimous today that it was a wrong call, everybody believed ball went back, line is a clear guide line, happened at a crucial time having an impact on the match, video ref stood down

Also unanimous was that the Dugan try was a horrible call as well

Also Hopoate wasn't an 8 pointer because it was a contest for the ball rather than Hopoate having possession

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6