1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bidding Wars and the rise in the cap

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Disco, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Disco

Disco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 37
    I think we all agree that it has been a disappointing year and we could do with some strengthening in a few key areas but I hope we don't panic buy and over pay for players with only 2017 in mind.

For mine our squad is actually pretty strong and now we are coming into a unique period with a host of stars coming off contract next year due to the increase in the salary cap.

To name a few in 2017 there are Hunt, Milford, McGuire, Roberts, Ofahengue, Arrow, Vaughan, Rapana, E Lee, Hopoate, Tolman, J Bird, Graham, Holmes , R James, Paasi, A Taylor, Chambers, Harris, Johnson, Matuline, B Thompson, Gagai, K Sims, Taumololo, Scott, Gutherson, Radradra, Blake, Peachey, Whare, Moylan, Watene-Zel......whatever, Johnston, Reynolds, Aitken, De-Belin, Evens, Guerra, Matterson, Napa, Pearce, JWH, Brroks, Moses, Tedesco, Woods

For mine, I hope we show restraint this year

Maybe something like

Out - Stewart, Lyon, Mateo, Taufua, Leary, Burgess, Hodges and at least one of Lawrence/Starling

In - Asofa-Solomona, Meehan, Mead, B Lee, give Hynes, Wright, Api or John a shot in 2016 and front load some contracts

1.Trbojevic
    2.Mead
    3.Matai
    4.Walker
    5.Lee
    6.Api/John/Hynes/Wright
    7.DCE
    8.Lussick
    9.Parcell
    10.Myles
    11.Tapau
    12.Buhrer
    13.Trbojevic

14.Fonua Blake
    15.Asofa-Solomona
    16.Knight/Meehan/Vave
    17.Brown

Then at the end of next year, depending on players who breakout (Maybe Knight, Hynes etc) we could look at something like

Out - Matai

In - Woods/James, A Taylor/Moses/Bird, Aitken/Holmes

For mine beeter to take the risk on some yound players breaking out next year than paying overs for players like Blake Green (no disrespect for Green, solid player)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yart-tastic Yart-tastic x 1
  2. Harvies elbow

Harvies elbow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    I don't get to see the lower graders so I rely on the opinions of this forum but after making the gf in the 20s last year we don't seem to have much coming through. Sacking the coach was another great idea by management so that's probably a contributing factor but most of last year's 20s should be learning the trade in nsw cup by now. Hynes name keeps coming up as a 5/8 but I haven't seen him so dunno if he's ready for a shot. Nonetheless we should build a culture. Whatever we buy, buy young and let's get it rolling again. Beau Scott would be great imo as a bk type and I'd be going all out to get him and a 5/8 for next year to begin with.

3. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    I really think green is a must buy, we cannot have the pressure on DCE of having to do everything like this year. He has really been running the ball a lot more since having Lyon at 5/8 which has given him more freedom. 2017 is looking like this to me.

1: T Trbojevic
    2: J Taufua
    3: D Walker (gk)
    4: B Lee
    5: D Mead
    6: B Green
    7: D Cherry-Evans (c)
    8: D Lussick
    9: A Koroisau
    10: N Myles
    11: M Taupau
    12: J Buhrer (vc)
    13. J Trbojevic (c)

14: M Parcell
    15: A Fonua-Blake
    16: L Knight
    17: S Vave

18. M Wright
    19. W Meehan
    20. B Williame
    21. L Brown

Obviously we will probably sign some other depth players but that is all we have ATM. Green is a must, Koroisau I think by the end of the year will be a better option at 9, Lee as our power winger. Taufua to get re signed i think he will work on those kick takes. That team is a top 8 side with some good luck with injuries and some good coaching. I think we should save a lot of our money for some really good forwards and re signing the turbos. Next year we should sign a good prop (JWH), a centre (Gutherson or Whare), And a backrower or bench forward (Manu Ma'u or Vaughan)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  4. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,355 / 56
    Matai won't be there 2017 & the players Disco named are spot on...the theory of buying the best of the worst is a poor option...we all want instant results, but with Disco's realistic team & with minimal injury...be very competitive in 2017, with 2018 serious contenders.
    I rate Taufua who is missing, but can understand concern due to errors, particularly under the high ball...still a power runner who would look far better with some quality ball to show his ability.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  5. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    Yes but I would prefer Skivvi there next year despite his injuries, who do you replace him with? Maybe Whare if we could get him to get out of his panthers contract for a first grade spot? Or maybe Lee to centre and wright or Williame on the wing. And I agree with the comment on it being a competitive side, it's top 8 Quilty just need things to go our way, if we get a Quality prop and centre for 2018 we will be in the hunt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    And yes there is more to a player than one flaw, you take out his problems under the high ball he is still one of the best wingers in the comp. I'd like to see how semi would cope having everything down his edge and having as much pressure as Jorge has on him.

7. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,355 / 56
    Tough to find the Matai centre replacement, always felt Taufua there would be great attack wise & like Matai...up & in to belt them defensively...provided he can handle decision making 1 in.... Plus- no more bomb scares!! OR ... If Lee does make the Sea change, is a strong young centre who played juniors at centre & could be suprisingly good.....
    Yes a prop also agree but the 5/8 dilemma still there....this Green option on the cheap just may work till the Taylor / Bird option is there come 2018.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. nightster

nightster grumpy old bastard

grew up Manly now Byron
    Ratings:
    +1,427 / 43
    Tom Turbo

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,412 / 257
    Have you seen other wingers in the comp, because the Jorge of the past few years is not one of the best.

His ability to run the ball back hard occasionally does not negate the massive flaws in his game.

Also the reason he sees so much work is because he is a known liability.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  10. Mr Manly 007

Mr Manly 007 Active Member

Ratings:
    +217 / 5
    Ethan Lowe and Luke Lewis as edge back rowers : strong in D : with good mobility .

11. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,412 / 257
    I think they'll try to have Matai retire on medical grounds which is probably the best thing for his long term health plus he still gets paid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mitch

Mitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,666 / 31
    100% agree mate. There has to be patience with recruitment given the quality that is on the market now is nowhere near that of what will be on the market next year with the rise in salary cap at the end of 2017.

13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +968 / 40
    With Lyon confirmed and Matai, Snake heavily linked to leaving.
    A backline of
    Turbo
    Mead
    Walker
    Whare
    Lee
    Green
    DCE

To me seems Highley possible and would have to improve our cap situation.
    I can't see anyone of those new players coming close in cap value to those that are leaving considering Manly known to backend contracts.

This would leave players such as wright and Williame as depth

14. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    Mead, Lee and Green would all take snakes 650k and Matai and Lyons money could be saved for a big forward and re signing the Turbos

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,904 / 27
    I worry that Whare is fairly injury prone. He is very talented but spends heaps of time on the sideline.
    Wished we'd held on to Gutherson, I think he could of held down a permanent spot and it always feels good to know you've supported a local junior. Hopefully he finds his way home someday.

16. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,625 / 132
    We should get hoppa back

Should be cheap as he doesn't play on Sundays but neither do we so wont be an issue

• Like Like x 1
  17. pjayz

pjayz Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,347 / 51
    If we brought him back we would go from 7 Monday night games to 24 Sunday Arvo games overnight.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,625 / 132
  19. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,841 / 103
    I think the premise of this thread is misguided. It starts off saying that we already have a strong squad of players. The problem is keeping them on the field.
    Therefore, I'd suggest that our priority is having a team of conditioners and medicos that can minimise injuries. And, I'm sure, they would be on a salary far less than many of those players nominated earlier to be recruited.

• Clever Clever x 1
  20. MWSE

MWSE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 2
    Api is really growing into a decent running half. He deserves a shot for the rest of the year.